PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 156
  1. #21
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    Lytha's Avatar
    Posts

    4,541
    I love statements like the one of the OP. "All women do some sort of stupid stuff" - just because he knows one or two that are that way.

    I, on the other hand, don't know any woman who buys expensive, branded bags. That's mostly because my social circle does not really include the fashion addicts, it includes mostly the backpack + sweater & jeans type.

    So, I don't know why women supposedly only buy branded, expensive bags. The reasons may be similar to why some men only buy expensive cars though: Impressing other people with this expensive item; showing off; and getting some self-esteem because they've got something with supposedly high quality.



    @Alaris: I don't think that anorexia and shopping mania have the same psychological reasons.

  2. #22
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Raye's Avatar
    Server

    Jade Quarry
    Guild

    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Posts

    3,801
    For what is worth, I dislike purses. My wallet, cellphone and keys fit perfectly in my pockets. Why do I need anything else? If I have to carry books and stuff I just take a backpack.

    Also its harder to pick pocket than it is to snatch a purse out of a woman's hand. It is not practical, in any way.

    Sent from my G2. lulz what typos?

  3. #23
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Gorani's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    [GWO]
    Posts

    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by rayeLestrange View Post
    For what is worth, I dislike purses. My wallet, cellphone and keys fit perfectly in my pockets. Why do I need anything else? If I have to carry books and stuff I just take a backpack.
    *reposted from 2008*



    I checked my "handbag" ... yes, I don't like stuffing my pockets, so that one comes handy:
    wallet, cellphone (not that one from the picture, the new one is smaller), keys, a half used pack of paper handkerchiefs, a small swiss army knife, a lighter, post-its,a 2''-Ikea pencil and a biro.

    I am not carrying around (yes, a friend has that in her bag - I checked, because we had a similar discussion with buddies in a bar):
    (wallet, cellphone, keys), a half empty 1 liter bottle of water, a paperback novel, a scarf, three packs of handkerchiefs, a variety of "women's monthy hygene products", a spoon, a mirror, two kinds of lipstick, another handful of cosmetics, a tube of hand lotion, the charger for her mobile ... and probably a few other things I can't remember.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."


  4. #24
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    @Alaris: I don't think that anorexia and shopping mania have the same psychological reasons.
    Not shopping mania, rather, buying expensive brands.

    The commonality would be female-female competition, which ties into self-esteem issues.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  5. #25
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Giggles's Avatar
    Server

    2nd star to the right
    Guild

    wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Posts

    4,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    That's mostly because my social circle does not really include the fashion addicts, it includes mostly the backpack + sweater & jeans type.
    sweaters? SWEATERS!!!! GET OOOUUUUTTTTT!!!

  6. #26
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Lensor's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    7,859
    Why do people of all genders buy "insert overprized basically useless item here"? At least designer handbags, if you do not wear them out, can retain most of their value over time. Can you say the same for all the expensive gadgets some men (yes women do it too, but about to about the same extent as men buy expensive handbags..) tend to geek out over? Like, I dont know, wooden stereo knobs for almost $500?

    Or to put it in other words; how come men's hobbies and collector's items are somehow more ok to spend huge amounts of money on for no real benefit than women's dito?
    Last edited by Lensor; 07-11-2011 at 16:08.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Jersey Shore. I think this is a bigger mystery.
    Watching TV? In 2011? What is this.

  8. #28
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensor View Post
    how come men's hobbies and collector's items are somehow more ok to spend huge amounts of money on for no real benefit than women's dito?
    The short story is, it's the same problem.

    If I wanted to argue, I'd try to make the claim that it's more frequent for women to do this, but I don't have data to back this claim, and frankly I don't care to argue.

    The fact is that I don't think consumerism is justifiable in anyone. It's unhealthy and wasteful.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  9. #29
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    RD's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    Dii, TRUE
    Posts

    11,564
    This thread also be getting general up in here.

  10. #30
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389
    It is very funny actually. We men really don't care at all what bag they use. They using a LV bag will not make them more attractive. In fact some of us might view them as gold diggers, or expensive to "maintain".

    Both my mother and sister are very practical at their shopping habits. They buy branded stuff but only when its on sale. $300 handbag for $50 that kind of thing.

    Someone mentioned that this is comparable to men liking expensive cars. Well expensive cars might gives you 300+ horsepower and are usually a bust to drive. There are no such "specs" in handbags.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 07-11-2011 at 16:59.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •