PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    I see men buying uber expensive gym shoes ....that perform just the same as the kmart brand (or whatever)..why do men do this?

and never heard of this jersey shore...then again I dont watch network tv (food channel and sifi are about it)...
    I have owned the same purse since 2004 (bought it in japan for about $20...still works great--no reason to buy another until it totally dies).

the gotta be like or better than whomever mentality..../sigh.....never had the 'drive' to be like anyone else--I prefer being ME ...and yes, my clothes are out of date too (that 'what not to wear' show is only good if you dont do what they say). I wear what feels comfortable, I use purses that I like--and have never looked at one costing more than my first paycheck from my very first job!.....now shoes...that is another story! (though again, dont think I have a pair of any 'designer' brand....payless shoes ftw!)

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensor View Post
    Or to put it in other words; how come men's hobbies and collector's items are somehow more ok to spend huge amounts of money on for no real benefit than women's dito?
    They're called action figures, not dolls.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    I see men buying uber expensive gym shoes ....that perform just the same as the kmart brand (or whatever)..why do men do this?
    If you mean gym guys buying $100+ shoes just to go to the gym or do some casual jogging for warm up, then sure.

If you mean real runners buying shoes, then I'll disagree. A person should really go to a store that puts you on a treadmill and recommends a shoe based on your stride. If you know you need a support shoe or something else specific, you might be able to find bargains elsewhere. It depends on what brands and models they carry, and I can't speak to what 'real' running shoes Wal-Mart or PayLess carry. I wouldn't recommend running long distances (or high frequency) in cheap shoes, though. It just makes injuries more likely (feet, knees, etc).

FWIW, I tend to buy the previous year's model of running shoe. They tend to be at least 25% off the average $75-120 price. I also put more miles on my shoes than a running store would recommend. My current pair is probably around the 500-mile mark.
    Last edited by Zalis; 07-11-2011 at 17:17.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    If you mean real runners buying shoes, then I'll disagree. A person should really go to a store that puts you on a treadmill and recommends a shoe based on your stride. If you know you need a support shoe or something else specific, you might be able to find bargains elsewhere. It depends on what brands and models they carry, and I can't speak to what 'real' running shoes Wal-Mart or PayLess carry. I wouldn't recommend running long distances (or high frequency) in cheap shoes, though. It just makes injuries more likely (feet, knees, etc).
    Same with ice skates, for instance. If you're serious about skating--and I'd imagine this goes for roller-blades as well--you'd best be spending the extra money you should for a pair with real ankle bracing and support.
    mv

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    For some people if you have money, it means you buy the most expensive things--and lots of 'em. Handbags, shoes, jewelry and other accessories.

My wife and daughters tend to use a quality handbag that lasts for years before needing replacement. Not a brand-name one, like Gucci; they tend to go for totes from L.L. Bean or some other company known for their robust construction rather than just the attraction of the brand name.
    I'd happily get my girlfriend a Hermes bag if and when she asks for one, but only if it is Hermes. I refuse to get her POS Chanel's and CK bags. At the tippy top, there really is a difference in quality.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    Two things wrong with this:
    1- As long as we're talking about stereotypes, most women I know spend way more on shoes than the guys I know. The girls here at work are forever talking about one pair or another that cost over $100 or $200.
    2- As Zalis pointed out, there is a big difference in shoe quality and, if you're real into your running, it makes a difference.

Achievements:
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

I spent almost $300 on bike shoes a few years ago. zomg!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I spend 350$ on my bow & accessories. High heels just don't have good combat value.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    And here I was thinking that only men thought this practically. Glad I was wrong. Most men I know, myself included, only buy things because they are of decent quality. We rarely buy a couch because it looks good. We buy one because it sits comfortable, and we can lie down on it (lazy gaming mode activate!), or sit up and read on it with proper support for our back.

Never mind if it's an ugly couch, I'll take a cheap ugly couch that sits well over an expensive good looking couch any day. More than half the designer stuff is just really uncomfortable and breaks easily.

My mother is like that. She'll buy a chair because it was made by a well known designer, and it looks interesting. Only after buying it, she'll realise that it sits as comfortable as sitting on an iron throne.
    Hmm, often, something I like and sits/wears/is comfortable is also usually very expensive But I'll only buy it if I/we really need it and it fits with the rest. I wouldn't buy anything because maybe there's something that might fit with it...

(having said that, I did that once... I bought our stove and fit the kitchen around it... The stove was 1/3d of the total price of the kitchen... So, that new Kitchenaid Kitchenrobot will fit in perfectly, both with price and looks )

Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    I love statements like the one of the OP. "All women do some sort of stupid stuff" - just because he knows one or two that are that way.

I, on the other hand, don't know any woman who buys expensive, branded bags. That's mostly because my social circle does not really include the fashion addicts, it includes mostly the backpack + sweater & jeans type.
    My type of girl! You exactly described me And only my mother sometimes buys purses, not because they're brand X and expensive, but rather because she likes them, no matter the brand... (I still think she's crazy for buying those, on the other hand, otherwise I couldn't borrow one for our wedding )
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

large potato sacks are comfortable. they breath well to.