GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think it depends a lot on your build and playstyle, but I think it might be easier to get fun useful traits if you distribute (as a general rule) then if you specialize. At least, that way you get more traits to choose from because (1) investing more in a given trait line gives you fewer and fewer traits to pick from, and (2) investing across trait lines gives you more traits to pick from.

There are some benefits to specializing, but imo this will not be as common as it is in classic MMOs.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I don't know Alaris, I think it will depend on the class as well. Necromancer has a line practically devoted to minions, and for some reason I'm thinking it will be quite popular (at least in pve). I don't think it would be a bad plan to max that one out, but yeah some classes you'll want to invest in four lines easy.

Playing with the build builder from the build thread in general, I've found at times minor traits are an attractive option to go in at say 25 points down a line when you know that 25th point gives you something fun but there are only two major traits in that line that interest you or support your idea for a build. While they are called minor, I think some of them are pretty strong, for instance, summoning a clone whenever you dodge in the second trait line for mesmers. If I was going a shatter heavy build and nothing else in that line interested me past that point, I would not hesitate to sticking with 15 rather then pick a major that doesn't interest me.
    I think builds will vary with each trait ending at a number divisible by 5. If my math is right, that would make a possible 23 possible builds. breaking it down into individual points would be useless when at 80, no one will have a trait line with 26 points in it.

And yet there might be more to it, as an anet employee mentioned during an interview that he might decide to make a build where none of the numbers were divisible by 5. Right now, I agree that it doesn't seem like there is a good reason to do this. He might've just been making up numbers too for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Playing with the build builder from the build thread in general, I've found at times minor traits are an attractive option to go in at say 25 points down a line when you know that 25th point gives you something fun but there are only two major traits in that line that interest you or support your idea for a build. While they are called minor, I think some of them are pretty strong, for instance, summoning a clone whenever you dodge in the second trait line for mesmers. If I was going a shatter heavy build and nothing else in that line interested me past that point, I would not hesitate to sticking with 15 rather then pick a major that doesn't interest me.
    I think builds will vary with each trait ending at a number divisible by 5. If my math is right, that would make a possible 23 possible builds. breaking it down into individual points would be useless when at 80, no one will have a trait line with 26 points in it.
    Your math is wrong, but let me find out for you. Brb

EDIT: so I just did a little counting. With maxing 2 lines and putting 10 in another line, and assuming the same line is max every time, I come up with 12 possibilities. For all 5 lines this would be (12 5) combination for which I'm too lazy to count but will run somewhere in the 30+ possibilities. And that's just for 30-30-10 splits. If anyone feels like counting all other possibilities at 10splits and 5splits ... feel free.

There will be literally hundreds of possible points splits, not to mention trait splits. This differs from other games were generally only 3 builds possible, as in, stuff everything into 1 line to get the toptier skill. GW2 functions completely different in this regard.
    Last edited by harniq; 16-03-2012 at 09:47.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    summoning a clone whenever you dodge in the second trait line for mesmers
    Woah cool. I need that one.

Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    Your math is wrong, but let me find out for you. Brb
    12 ways to split 30-30-10
    24 ways to split 30-25-15
    12 ways to split 30-20-20
    12 ways to split 25-25-20
    48 ways to split 30-25-10-5
    etc
    == Alaris & clone ==

I wasn't counting the permutations, just the combinations of skill points with the 5 trait lines so I was strictly thinking the result below. Just counting how you can split it not caring about where you split it.

30-30-10
    30-30-5-5
    30-25-15
    30-25-10-5
    30-25-5-5-5
    30-20-20
    30-20-15-5
    30-20-10-10
    30-20-10-5-5
    25-25-20
    25-25-15-5
    25-25-10-10
    25-25-10-5-5
    25-20-20-5
    25-20-15-10
    25-20-15-5-5
    25-20-10-10-5
    20-20-20-10
    20-20-20-5-5
    20-20-15-15
    20-20-15-10-5
    20-15-15-10-10
    15-15-15-15-10

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    math... aaaawwww yyyeeeaaahhh
    == Alaris & clone ==

Adding to the math, in total there are ~789 trait combinations per class (+/-10) with 8 classes so 5832... then 46 weapon combinations in total... not even going to bother looking at healing, utility and elite skill numbers

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    But to be fair, the bulk of those differ by just subtle differences. I mean, 30-30-10 is almost the same as 30-30-5-5
    == Alaris & clone ==