PC Gaming News

View Poll Results: Imperials or Stormcloaks?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Imperials

6 19.35%
  • Stormcloaks

3 9.68%
  • Can't decide yet, I will later.

3 9.68%
  • Bacon Dragon

19 61.29%
Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts

Skyrim!1! *SPOILERS, enter at own risk*

So, rather than clogging up the TIOTFROTT with Skyrim posts, I thought it should have a thread of its own. I still haven't made the dive to purchase it yet, but I see that there is already a mod to replace those "icky" spiders. They can now be bears or crabs instead.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=28

"I saw a Frostbite Spider the other day. Disgusting creatures."

===

And here's a write-up on the frustrations of the in-game UI.
    I’m embarrassed, basically. Embarrassed that I have to sit here writing about stinking interfaces and menus when I should be talking about the fascinating bigger picture of a broad, detailed, open-world RPG. Man, when there’s so much going on in this game, and so much to talk about, why did I have to be the one who put up his hand and said: “But what about that crappy interface?”

My plight is so: this is the first Bethesda game I’ve ever actually been able to spend serious time in without becoming fatally annoyed. Skyrim has done what their other games have not: it has managed to not eject me from its world through sheer frustration (as did Oblivion and Fallout 3) and I have begun to get lost in side-quests and exploration as I plod slowly through my career in professional dragon shouting. I like the world. I am enjoying the story. That’s quite the thing.

Then I hit tab, and I sigh. I rumble. Even when played with gamepad, as it is surely meant to be, the back end UI of Skyrim is a horrible clonky mess. Thoughtless, awkward, unhelpful. I don’t think it even tells you to hit tab to exit when you first encounter it. (In fact Kieron tells me he got stuck searching for the exit key the first time he tried to pick something up.) Sure, Fallout 3′s wrist-thing was crap, too, but I don’t care about that right now. I care about Skyrim. And it’s not good enough.
    Last edited by Zalis; 14-11-2011 at 17:46.

It's not the design of the UI I mind as much as its inconsistency, which does annoy the everliving daylight out of me.
    Horribly, I understand it's middle-ware based (a ScaleForm/Flash thing), which makes it harder for the modders to fix it.

And why ever did they not at least include a toggle for that pissant all-knowing compass bar everyone hated the crap out of in Oblivion?
    -Especially considering they included a Clairvoyance spell that points the way to your current quest's goal; delete that irritating compass bar and bring in an upgraded version of that spell for finding nearby locations of interest instead.

And why must they insult my intelligence going on about "brand new engine" when it is clearly built on a (highly) upgraded Gamebryo?

-But yeah, the game is rather good. Do give it a whirl, you People Wot Don't Play Skyrim Yet.
    And as usual with Beth games there's material for months of running jokes and comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    It's not the design of the UI I mind as much as its inconsistency, which does annoy the everliving daylight out of me.
    Horribly, I understand it's middle-ware based (a ScaleForm/Flash thing), which makes it harder for the modders to fix it.
    Good news. Modders are on it, and beginning to make some headway.
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...dding-the-gui/

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    Brings a whole new meaning to the "Deadly verbal debate" comment on some of the loading screens.

By the way, fighting bandits while using duel-wielded Lightning Bolts(with Augmented Shock and Impact perks) makes it very hard to loot bodies. They just go flying and half the time I can't find them.
    Last edited by Feannag; 14-11-2011 at 22:19. Reason: typo

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Dragon's got a pretty impressive ability to use a spoon there.
    My character in Skyrim is coming along. I went with Conjuration because I don't care what anyone says about Conjuration.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwithtwohands View Post
    Dragon's got a pretty impressive ability to use a spoon there.
    My character in Skyrim is coming along. I went with Conjuration because I don't care what anyone says about Conjuration.
    DDUUUUDDEEEEEE! Everyone knows Restoration is the shizzle!!

Anyway, I'm kinda in a pinch, considering I don't know if I can even run this game in my comp. This comp can run Oblivion in high settings (not max without any lag, high only). Not to mention the whole plethora of bugs that's bound to follow a Bethesda game.

What do you think, is it worth it for me to try it out?

100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    DDUUUUDDEEEEEE! Everyone knows Restoration is the shizzle!!

Anyway, I'm kinda in a pinch, considering I don't know if I can even run this game in my comp. This comp can run Oblivion in high settings (not max without any lag, high only). Not to mention the whole plethora of bugs that's bound to follow a Bethesda game.

What do you think, is it worth it for me to try it out?
    You can check http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ and see if the game would run for you. As I discovered, it's not a demanding game so I can run it okay on my tired PC (a core 2 duo at 2.3, 4GB of RAM and an old 8600GTS).

Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    I don't know what your specs are, but I've gotten used to lower frame rates in Bethesda games. Still having fun though. I just got a shout to throw your voice. It's pretty darn tooting.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    My character is "boring" one-handed, shield, heavy armor with some archery, restoration and destruction. Having fun with all the exploration, as expected. Just got to the Throat of the World.

It supposedly scales down pretty well for weaker computers. And hey, it runs on consoles. Those are OLD.

Sent from my phone. I don't do tyops.

Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Been expecting a thread for this, and here it is, which is cool. Unfortunately, I won't be buying until I upgrade my computer (got this PC back before Oblivion came out) so I've got little to say and I'm scared of spoilers, so I will be reading squinting sideways through one eye.

Happy to wait before I buy. Truth is, I had little interest in Oblivion until I started playing around with mods (some three years after I got the game) and I'll be scouring tesnexus before throwing myself at Skyrim. And, yeah, I'll be looking closely at UI mods.

Interested in seeing how archery will work this time round. I think I read somewhere Bethesda have taken a lot from Duke Patrick's Combat Archery mod. I love this mod and run it with all my characters, archers or not. There's good stuff in here, aside from the business of putting arrows into bad guys, and I hope to find other elements of the mod in Skyrim.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Egal View Post
    so I've got little to say and I'm scared of spoilers, so I will be reading squinting sideways through one eye.
    Yeah, I haven't played yet either, though I've been watching my son play somewhat. I'm going to add a spoiler warning to the thread title.
    mv