PC Gaming News

View Poll Results: Imperials or Stormcloaks?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Imperials

6 19.35%
  • Stormcloaks

3 9.68%
  • Can't decide yet, I will later.

3 9.68%
  • Bacon Dragon

19 61.29%
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Yeah the zodiac thing was a terrible idea. It's pretty to look at, but terrible at giving you the information you need.
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricS...sis_Skyrim.php

The Worst Screen in the History of UIs

That header is not hyperbole. I think that Skyrim has genuinely managed to lay claim to the title of "worst interface element ever made." It comes in the form of the skills menu, used primarily for leveling up. It violates almost every single rule about designing user interfaces, and it does so for only one reason - to show off a pretty picture.
    I think that's one of the nicer things being said about Skyrim's UI on the internet.

-T

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    And of course, I can't play the game at the same time he does. That's fine for now--I'm generally too busy to play games, and envision taking many months to get anywhere in Skyrim.
    Try this. Get him to exit steam. Unplug your network cable, start steam on your machine. It will fail to connect and allow you to start it in offline mode. Then get him to start steam again.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Enough about Oblivion, though. I am encouraged by your description of leveling changes in Skyrim, but I still won't play until it goes below $20, or even $10. Gameplay videos demonstrate a lack of combat improvements. Plus Dark Souls is more fun. It still looks entertaining and worthwhile for all the questing, exploring, and adventuring that I enjoyed in Oblivion.
    I would recommend playing an archer or mage if you're not into the combat. That way, you can do most (or all) of your damage at range and only resort to melee as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    Try this. Get him to exit steam. Unplug your network cable, start steam on your machine. It will fail to connect and allow you to start it in offline mode. Then get him to start steam again.
    No need to go through all that trouble for Skyrim. As I mentioned earlier, the game's exe itself doesn't need Steam to run. So just starting up TESV.exe will take care of that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Dust View Post
    No need to go through all that trouble for Skyrim. As I mentioned earlier, the game's exe itself doesn't need Steam to run. So just starting up TESV.exe will take care of that problem.
    Yep, you're right. I can play offline any time while he plays online, we checked it out. That's fine, I'm not interested in the achievements or anything. All I'll really need to do is sign on once in a while when there've been patches.

Seems kind of odd they'd let that happen, though. It's basically copyright infringement or pirating, something like that, I would think. Before, it was nothing more than playing a new character on the same game--now, it's like I copied the game and stole it. Makes me a bit leery.
    mv

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Seems kind of odd they'd let that happen, though. It's basically copyright infringement or pirating, something like that, I would think. Before, it was nothing more than playing a new character on the same game--now, it's like I copied the game and stole it. Makes me a bit leery.
    I think it is, at most, a violation of the EULA. However, since I can't seem to find a copy of the license anywhere I can't say for sure. Of course, the fact that I can't find it prior to purchase means it may not be enforceable at all, in which case you definitely wouldn't have to worry about it.

This is hilarious, but it factors into why I don't take companions along with me:

Plus, I prefer sneakery.

I asked Lydia to wait for me outside in one of the towns while I did a few TG quests and actually forgot I left her standing there. Two days later (in real time) I picked the game up and started playing again and I got the message on the screen telling me she got tired and bored waiting for me.

I don't even see the real point in taking anyone with me.
    Aretelio MerthorionAria MerthorionAlex MerthorionMitch TaylorJerry HathawayChris KnightGeneral Merthorion
    Kent TorokveiJordan CochranLazlo HolliefeldSusan DeckerIck Ikagami

Quote Originally Posted by Aretelio View Post
    I don't even see the real point in taking anyone with me.
    They're probably okay for mage or melee characters, but they completely screw up stealth. It's why I didn't use companions or the dog in any of the recent Fallout titles, because I play all of these games the same way. (sneak, sneak sneak)