PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Android/iOS debate thread. (US version)

So here I am at the end of my two-year contract with AT&T. A contract I entered with an ex specifically so we could get the iPhone. My current girlfriend and I are going to combine our accounts in order to save those precious doll-hairs that everyone likes so much.

Now I'm faced with an interesting dilemma. Do I stick with my iOS device or do I wade into the sea of Android phones? On one hand I've got two years of app purchases that will probably go down the drain, but on the other hand there are a lot of great looking Android phones out there.

I'm so confused!
    Aretelio MerthorionAria MerthorionAlex MerthorionMitch TaylorJerry HathawayChris KnightGeneral Merthorion
    Kent TorokveiJordan CochranLazlo HolliefeldSusan DeckerIck Ikagami

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If your phone is still working fine, I'd stick with it. Changing sides only makes sense if you need a new phone imo... or do you spend so much on new apps still that you could save enough long-term by getting an Android early...?

Also, what do you use your phone for? If you play HD 3D games on it, then upgrading might be worth it. If the app you use the most is still Sudoku, then stick with the old one until it breaks.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I'm still on an old 3GS, but I guess I should've mentioned that I'm switching back to Verizon, so I can't use that phone on their network. So yeah, a new phone is happening whether I want it or not.
    Aretelio MerthorionAria MerthorionAlex MerthorionMitch TaylorJerry HathawayChris KnightGeneral Merthorion
    Kent TorokveiJordan CochranLazlo HolliefeldSusan DeckerIck Ikagami

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I am one of the few who switched from an iPhone to a Droid. It's not as easy to use as an iPhone, but there's a lot more flexibility on the Droid.

I use both, and I think the common description: "Android is for nerds, iOS is for everyone else" is apt. If you like everything packaged with a nice bow on top, then go with iOS. If you like more flexibility and don't mind the occasional bad UI design ("where the hell do I go to turn this feature off?"), then go with Android. If you play in the Apple sandbox and don't mind the walls, then iOS is really sleek. If you don't want to be bothered with having to start iTunes, and you just want to use drag-n-drop that Sasha Grey video onto the phone, then go Android. Sure, you can jailbreak your iOS phone, but then you might as well just get an Android.

Also, some features, such as wifi scanning, are more readily available on Android while the iOS keeps changing the underlying API and breaking existing apps. My personal experience is that when something like that happens on Android, the app devs tend to work around those issues faster because they're not as constrained.

Some phone vendors (notably HTC) tailor their Android. If you don't do your own upgrading to vanilla, then you're at the mercy of their release cycle. Often HTC won't push out an OS release till months after the base OS's release. Also, because of this, vendors can introduce their own security flaws that is not in the base OS. With (non-jailbroken) iOS, it's always one vendor, one experience.

Hope this helps a bit.

-T

Pretty pleased with my new android phone, don't have a lot of experience with iPhones, but I do like the customizing abilities a lot. You can get some pretty great apps I'm not sure are available for IOS.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Honestly, I keep hearing that Android is for nerds, and I ask myself ... did they really manage to dumb down the iOS more than this? I'm not a Linux expert or anything, I get really confused working on different versions of windoze, and I get frustrated quickly when things don't work as intended. And I'm happy with Android.

Sure, I had to do a bit of digging around to find where to set this or that on occasion, but I actually found many things easier to do than on iOS. For instance, I love being able to copy stuff to the Android as if it was a USB key, no such luck with iOS afaik. My gf is about to lose her mp3 collection because she's not sure how to download it from her aging iPod (any suggestions appreciated, btw).

I'd rephrase it to "both are pretty similar, except... a little tech-saavy gets you far with Android, but it gets you nowhere with iOS (unless you jailbreak)". And as Teina correctly pointed out, "you can jailbreak your iOS phone, but then you might as well just get an Android."
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Honestly, I keep hearing that Android is for nerds, and I ask myself ... did they really manage to dumb down the iOS more than this?
    Yes.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Yes.
    ???

Please provide examples... I don't have much experience with the iOS.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    iOS doesn't let you do anything it doesn't want you to and it comes with everything pre-installed.

It's kind of hard to explain (especially since I haven't had an iPhone in about a year at this point). You can only* use apps from iTunes and Apple locks apps out as they see fit (Grooveshark, for one). Not as many settings to adjust. Not as customizable by far (change your ring tones and background image and .... oh, wait, that's it - can't even change your text message alert). If you know anyone with one, play around with it for awhile and you'll get the idea. It's not flexible at all.

It seems to me that Droid is a lot more flexible from a development standpoint, too. With my iPhone, if the phone was missing a feature, you just had to wait for Apple to release a new iOs or iPhone. So far, with the Droid, anything that I've wanted on my phone, I could just download an app for.

*Jailbreaking excluded