PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment?

Disappointment?

Ok guys I played Domination mesmer in the previous game, at quite a high level. (Top 10 guild at one point)

My concern is, while it looks like a fun mage.. it doesnt look like the same domination mesmer that caused so much stress to so many people before.

The satisfaction I got from my mesmer, was that of completely locking down and painfully deconstructing my enemies piece at a time. Interupts, diverted skills, more interupts! Energy drains, sympathetic visage.... The shutdown aspect of the class.

I pray to god its not all, clones and teleports because thats not how a mesmer should be. I struggled to see how they could roll the class into the current AoE-sentric game. This just doesnt look like a mesmer to me, it looks like a pretty battle mage. With a couple of neat tricks.

It might be fun, but its not going to cause frustration like the mesmers of old. Thinking I'll go guardian.

Its not fun unless my enemy is punching his monitor out of frustration!
    Last edited by Jazzik; 15-12-2011 at 21:17.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Nice to see a thread here :)

I am undecided. I was (mostly) a PvE Mesmer, but I love the class. I was Dom, too, but not so much interrupts (except Panic). I was more of a damage Mesmer (Empathy, Backfire, Chaos Storm).

The Mesmer in GW 2 appears to be a lot different. But none of us have gotten our hands on it, yet. The GW 2 Mesmer is still very much able to interrupt enemies, just in a different way. There is still Backfire, Empathy (confusion), and Chaos Storm. Things are just .... different because the whole game is different. I am reserving judgment until I get to play the class.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Fear not! I am pretty sure there will be:

AoE Backfire
    AoE Empathy
    AoE Ancestor's HUGE Visage
    AoE Energy Surge
    AoE Diversion.
    AoE Cry of EVEN BIGGER Frustration

So if you messed up players in GW1, you can mess them up even more in GW2.

And I doubt Confusion will replace the likes of Empathy. Confusion will probably be a condition that is used on top of Empathy. So if Empathy hurts now, Empathy+Confusion will double the pain.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 15-12-2011 at 21:30.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The GW2 mesmer was build with GW1 mesmer players in mind.

I see a lot of skills to punish, to interrupt, to shutdown.

Think of clones as your defensive skills, and of phantasms as your hexes. Also, shatters give you 4 different effects to choose from for those clones & phantasms, so you can use them to damage or shutdown or even protect yourself.

I'm pretty confident that pretty soon, players will figure out how to make others punch their monitors using mesmers (and thieves).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

We knew the Mez had to change in one way or another. They killed energy and hexes which took out much of the shut-down aspect of the Mez from GW1. My personal favorite way to play the Mez was punishment/dilemma, which I believe they have been able to latch onto with the new Mez. The key for me is to keep the ‘theme’ of the Mesmer rather than one roll or another roll.

We still have punishment which comes with a whole new condition: Confusion. Hex’s turned into ‘illusions’ which was creative but boarders on the minion aspect which I’m not as crazy about, but I’ll roll with it and other hexs I’m sure will be AoE spells which will rock. Degen still seems to be valid but from what we have seen is centered around conditions not strictly hex’s, but hey hex’s are gone so we need something. All in all the Mez mostly works for me.

Where I’m not feeling it is some of the skill and aspect names, and the offhand sword instead of an offhand dagger. Just naming skills and aspects after GW1 skills goes a long way to making the Mesmer feel right. The Clone is one spot they missed on this, the other illusion is a phantasm, perfect. A phantom would sound too close to phantasm so they didn’t use that, but how about a delusion, image or diversion, something they can pull out of a GW1 skill name. Some skill names just kind of miss for me as well. Mind Wrack, does direct damage, Diversion stuns enemies. They are trying but I feel they could have done a bit better.

The off-hand sword and the Greatsword just make me wonder. A sword and dagger is very ‘duelist’ like they want to go for, but duel swords doesn’t feel duelist to me it feels berserker. The greatsword, well I know too many people will love it so I’ll leave it alone, I don’t have to use it, anyways I do longsword fencing so I am a longsword duelist...hard for me to argue with that.
    Last edited by GrimShade; 15-12-2011 at 22:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzik View Post
    Ok guys I played Domination mesmer in the previous game, at quite a high level. (Top 10 guild at one point)

My concern is, while it looks like a fun mage.. it doesnt look like the same domination mesmer that caused so much stress to so many people before.

The satisfaction I got from my mesmer, was that of completely locking down and painfully deconstructing my enemies piece at a time. Interupts, diverted skills, more interupts! Energy drains, sympathetic visage.... The shutdown aspect of the class.

I pray to god its not all, clones and teleports because thats not how a mesmer should be. I struggled to see how they could roll the class into the current AoE-sentric game. This just doesnt look like a mesmer to me, it looks like a pretty battle mage. With a couple of neat tricks.

It might be fun, but its not going to cause frustration like the mesmers of old. Thinking I'll go guardian.

Its not fun unless my enemy is punching his monitor out of frustration!
    I share your fear, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I mentioned this already in another thread, but the Mesmer condition itself is from Domination of Guild Wars 1.

Since there be no monks this time around, who knows how viable the mez will be in disruption and shutdown.

I get the impression that with the way shatters and confusion work, the mesmer is going to have to muster up a lot of bait and trap strategies to rely on, rather than the old direct punishment route.

Actually from what I saw with clones and portal it really feels like that's going to be the case.

I ain't complaining. I'm honestly curious to see how this profession impacts the game.
    It was really interesting to see the official site's mesmer page point to spiking as part of their repertoire.
    Cuz once again there be no monks.
    Last edited by Manwithtwohands; 16-12-2011 at 02:02.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    I know exactly where you're coming from. My, and many of my friends fear has always been the fact that the intertwined roles were what made guildwars unique compared to the usual skirmishy elements in many similar games. The fact that every role in this game was dependant on the rest of the team to do well. This meant we had the completely unique shutdown role that really isn't present in any other game to a similar extent.

How exactly are they going to replace it or reproduce it with their new combat system and gameplay relying so much more on skirmishing and zoning rather than drawn out teamfights.

It's not that this type of gameplay is bad or unwanted, it's actually fun in many other games. It is however not unique.
    I just really hope the way skills interact with each other will help replace the unique teamplay that guildwars had with something that can give the same feeling.
    There's simply no other game than guildwars which has ever given me the same feeling of enlightened teamwork. It's such a great feeling when 8 people all know what they're meant to do instinctively and just flow around the battlefield like a unified presence. That is what we want to feel when playing gw2, and the biggest fear is that we won't get that same feeling.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Well I hope Anet's closed beta will give some light as to how the game play will be. But I doubt warriors can just run up to a Mesmer; Start hacking away and expect to win.