Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment?

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Kinda funny... actually, this inspired a poll in my head.

Tapatalk'd
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    I enjoy playing the Minstrel as a class, but pretending it is a Mesmer is sacrilege as far as I am concerned.

Domination and Inspiration all the way for Mesmer.

I'd probably play Necro, but I don't like the gunky-greenness of everything... so I'll probably play... ... I don't know :-(

I wanted to be a Mesmer :,,,,,(

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    I enjoy playing the Minstrel as a class, but pretending it is a Mesmer is sacrilege as far as I am concerned.

Domination and Inspiration all the way for Mesmer.

I'd probably play Necro, but I don't like the gunky-greenness of everything... so I'll probably play... ... I don't know :-(

I wanted to be a Mesmer :,,,,,(
    A minstrel is someone that plays an instrument or sings a song.

I haven't ever heard of them using any kind of magic or fighting things. The new mesmers are fun to play though, which I can't say for the old ones... And I played through all 3 chapters and the expansion with one in Guild Wars.

I mean I understood the functions of the skills and how to exploit them to beat pve and even pvp situations, however I never actually had a good time with the mesmer profession. I had fun with the new mesmer class in the betas. So I'm actually positively surprised about the mesmer in GW2.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Popular opinion seems to be : If you liked GW 1 Mes, you won't like GW 2 Mes. Opposite is true, as well.

On the topic of Minstrels... D&D bards play instruments, cast, and fight. It's a fairly common trope. Both EverQuests have similar classes, LotRO has a Minstrel, I'm sure there are zillions more, too!

Tapatalk'd
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    What about those that liked gw1 mes, didn't expect gw2 mes to be like gw1, and still like gw2 mes?

Put me down for that one. Clones and portals and confusion, hell yes.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    But but... I liked the gw1 mesmer, and i like the gw2 mesmer D=

I don't think any class plays like the gw1 predecessor to be honest. The mesmer is no exception, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Not even the ele plays the same way as the gw1 ele. I think if you go in with the gw1 pre-conceptions you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm another one who liked the GW1 mesmer and enjoys the GW2 mesmer.

They feel very different, and I will miss my GW1 mesmer a whole lot. I'm going to miss Psychic Instability and Power Block the most. The GW2 mesmer lacks some of the outright viciousness - I have fond memories of many rages caused by either playing as a mesmer, or playing against good mesmers... but I can live with it.

GW2 Mesmers are incredibly annoying, and in PvP it often feels like that I can run circles around groups of 2-3 people until help arrives, thus stopping them from capping points and moving on. I can't get kills in such outnumbered situations, but I can Blink and Dodge forever and ever, making an absolute nuisance of myself. They feel like a good class for running back and forth between team splits (especially on Forest and Foefire), helping where they are needed while keeping an eye on the points and negating the other team's efforts to make progress. I do luvs them a lot. :3
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Okay, fine, go ahead and prove me wrong.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Well, I didn't _hate_ playing my mesmer in GW.

However I enjoyed my other characters quite a lot more from a pure gameplay point of view I mean. It was just much less tedious to play my necromancer or even the assassin when Factions was new. In my opinion, mesmers should be annoying to their opponents, not to the people actually playing them.

Which was sadly my experience throughout the first game. Not that I didn't love the idea of them. I did. Tremendously. I liked their armor, their place in the lore and their function in the gameplay.

But it was hard to actually have any fun with the class I found (well, until we got Sunspear skills. That actually made it a lot easier for me.)

The GW2 mesmer is fun to play right out of the box (in my opinion.)

So yeah, I'll definately be giving my GW2 mesmer some more screen time than my poor oft-deleted (because something always struck me as a bit "off" with the male faces and the female armor.) then remade mesmers in GW.

And good point on the bard. I guess that's the power of synonyms. I never associated a minstrel with anything other than a performer, but I'd take a bard in my party any day in a D&D session. Mainly because I loved the old Bard's Tale games and their slogan: "When the going gets tough, the bard goes drinking."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    To re-state my feeling about the GW1 mesmer.

I loved the idea, the gameplay, and all that. I mean, shutdown isn't my fav gameplay but I thought they did it well with the mesmer skills. It was interesting to play.

The hate part though, which I cannot deny, was only because of all the professions, the mesmer was the most unforgiving. If I was slow or not focused, I was as good as c+space, or even worse. But this is also part of the love part because it made me learn.

I preferred the other professions because I could, if I wanted to, run more casual relaxed builds.

-----

So you can't say I hated the GW1 mesmer, you can however say I had a love/hate relationship.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about