PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.net Member

Question about skills in gw2

I have been a gw player for like 3 years or so now (im not too good though) and im not sure how gw2 will be fun. Please correct me if im wrong and i hope (and think) I am, but from what I have seen the only skills you can pick between are the resource skills that you pick and the weapon skills and it doesnt seem like there will be that many skills. If every sword has the same sword skills and even if you can use a bunch of combinations of daggers and bows and all that, i feel as though the few skills that you can pick between will become unbelieveably boring. I like to change up and try new builds very commonly. so i guess i was just asking if someone could help me out and tell me if there are going to be more skills than i am thinking there will be. Thanks in advance!

-harrimann

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    AFAIK there are different skills per weapon, even while it's limited to the weapon skills you still have the choice of what you want to use.
    it also depends on what kind of weapon, one handed weapons makes the first 3 skills for main hand and the other 2 for off-hand, two-handed decides all 5 skills.
    the other 5 skills on the right are all within a small limit, you need one elite and one healing skill.
    i don't know exactly how it's unlocked but they said it's trough getting higher levels and different weapons, you have to ask someone who has played the demo to confirm this.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Glad to see the AFAIK sorudo, most of what you said was right of course, but with weapon skills... there's only the default per class. There will be no swapping weapon skills. However, and I think this is what you need to hear harrimann... there will be traits that change those skills. We don't know a lot about them atm, other than that they've been reworked at least once and may not be in a finished stage even.

It sounds like they will have the ability to add conditions to some weapon skills, increase condition durations on others, and probably decrease recharge on some skills... as long as some semblance of the old traits carries through. Last I heard, we'd be able to use traits for each weapon type (which would only activate when using said weapon obviously) as well as some more generic traits, and it's been a while but I think there might've been traits for armor as well (maybe it was just one line for elites and another for the healing skill)? Ah well, it's old info so there's a chance none of it is right. Just know that anet is well aware of the fact that weapon skills which can't be changed in any way would be really boring.

Oh, and one tidbit of info to add to sorudo's, the thief's third weapon skill is based off both his main-hand and off-hand weapon. If he uses dagger/gun his third skill will let you leap to the enemy, whereas gun/dagger would let you leap away from them. That's the only exception to the rule that sorudo posted that I know of though.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'd say the new skill system is hard to understand, especially from the viewpoint of a GW1 player... but what it gives is actually a lot more choices in builds and gameplay with a relatively simple UI.

The GW1 system gave us more ways to make terrible builds, and more ways to create broken builds. But balanced builds were just a small proportion of the total number of possibilities.

The weapon skills are there to make sure you have a proper rotation... although GW2's version of rotation sounds a lot more engaging than purely order optimization as many skills are situational. So the number of weapons you can pick from is the number of rotations you can have. Already, think of the main builds you had in GW1 for a profession, there were not that many to pick from. People quickly settle on the few builds that work.

The optionals and elite is where you can really customize your build to your personal preference.

So you can take 2 weapon sets (1 or 2 weapons each) out of so many choices, 3 optionals, 1 elite, 1 heal, that's already 7-9 choices you are making... but some choices like weapons open up a few skills. You end up with at least 15 skills (weapon swap included), plus f1-f4 depending on profession.

Trust me, you'll be overwhelmed with skills when you get down to it.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    The GW1 system gave us more ways to make terrible builds, and more ways to create broken builds. But balanced builds were just a small proportion of the total number of possibilities.
    Wow. That is the most perfect concise summary I've seen yet. Nicely said!

GW1 may have billions of possible combinations of skills, but GW2 still has more possible combinations than anyone can try out in a lifetime. Aside from choosing weapons, utilities, and elites, traits are also a big part of the build-making system. With several general trait lines plus a trait line for each individual weapon, that's a lot of choices to work out right there.

Also, weapon stats are going to provide some interesting variations. Unlike GW1, there are weapon variations that change the behavior of the weapon, not the attributes of the wielder. A weapon may have the built-in ability to create a condition on a critical hit, for example. A Ghastly weapon heals you during the day and steals life at night. While two swords may have the same skills, they may have significant differences in behavior, especially after you trait and mod them.

There are many factors that will go into a GW2 build aside from selecting skills and attributes. I think the system is going to offer enough complexity to satisfy everyone.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Perhaps this will illustrate the diversity despite the "on paper limits" of fixed skills assigned to weapons:

Take the three skill weapon like a sword in the main hand:
    You have a fixed skill set of Sever Artery => Gash => Final thrust combo on #1; Savage leap on #2 and Hamstring on #3 + the burst skill of Flurry.
    You can modify those limited skills a with special weapon from your inventory (e.g. like the ghastly sword BrettM mentioned) or by using a trait like Sword Mastery which deals additional damage with swords. You can even slot specific traits for each of the three sword skills to make them more powerful and deadly.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Let's not forget traits. While they don't provide new skills per se, they do make skills somewhat different.

In GW1, there were a lot of somewhat different skills that were quite redundant. For example, a lot of the necro minions were very similar to each other, a lot of blood magic attack skills were very similar. Some skills were literally duplicates with a different name.

These "somewhat different skills" are captured by traits now. You pick the skills you want, then you use traits to fine-tune them.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about