PC Gaming News
Page 20 of 141 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1409
  1. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    The term is definitive. It means to produce a final solution. Doesn't matter how long it takes.
    Sorry, I meant definitive. My argument still stands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Its a force of deterrence. Switzerland was attacked by both parties during the world war and successfully defended, I am sure we can do the same.
    Switzerland was not attacked during either of the two world wars. Germany planned an invasion during WWII but never initiated it. It was a good plan though, would probably have been successful, but overly costly. The Germans already had one very mountainous European country to contend with, Yugoslavia, the resistance in which tied down vital resources for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Our goal is one to deter others from attacking, that is to take the offensive and any collateral damage is on enemy territory. If collateral damage is on enemy territory, we can unload ammunition without care and thus gain advantage, or at least cause enough damage to ensure that the other party will learn a huge lesson not attack in the next 100 years. We built the nation in 30 years, most of our buildings are 0-15 years old. Like japan after the world war, it is possible to spring back up into action after 2 years.

    Plus, the chinese in malaysia will support singapore solely because our laws are non-racial.
    So the Singaporean plan in case of war with China is to invade China and "unload ammunition" upon Shanghai and Guangzhou. Good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    I never said anything about multilateral legislation. I said refereeing the democratic system to ensure that there is no cheating involved, appropraite limitations are put in place to cut spending on campaigns. Other than that, the laws are decided through voting, and each country will have different outcomes. We need neutral parties to referee the system to ensure that there is no overspending on campaigning or tweaking of the media to brainwash citizens. My country sets spending limits on campaigns so citizens can fund anyone who meets the requirements. Of course, we must not let the swiss make our laws or us make their laws. Its stupid.
    You said that other nations would "handle" your voting system. Why would those other nations be neutral?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Read, our use of foreign construction and domestic workers has been relatively constant. We have increased import of white collar foreign talents, who must prove that they are able to benefit the society in some way.
    As I said, import of cheap (for the society) labor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    That is to oversimplify things. There are many tools required in UK, because of the bloody fixed kitchen. I can't even pull my washing machine out without equipment(or my case me and my flatmate bashing and breaking the fixtures using hammers). I do not stock up paint-removal or paint fixing tools. I also do not invest in a robot vacuum cleaner(using a robot to clean a single carpetted flat is overkill, but cleaning a few homes is justified), which a cleaning company could use to multi task. I also do not have equipment to reach out and clean the exterior of my windows. I also never steam clean my carpet, bed and sofas and I would like to do so at some point in time. These are the factors which would make me consider hiring a cleaner.

    Of course there are the other trivial tasks that come with it, but every job has trivial tasks(like working a photocopier, buying coffee, etc) if you are at the bottom of the food chain.
    The kitchen looks like that so that you will be more likely to hire a plumber. Unlike day-to-day cleaning, plumbing actually requires a modicum of skill and know-how. It's still nothing that you can't do yourself, of course.

    As for steam cleaning your carpet, that might be done by a maid, but hiring a maid in the first place presupposes that s/he will clean much more often than the perhaps once-per-two-years (or whatever) steam cleaning of your carpet.
    Every office worker has the skills needed to work a photocopier. Sorry to burst your bubble, but outside of Singapore there are no specific photocopy operators. If this means that you took the wrong education for an international job, I'm sorry.

  2. #192
    GWOnline.Net Member Kael Valeran's Avatar
    Posts

    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Sorry, I meant definitive. My argument still stands.

    Switzerland was not attacked during either of the two world wars. Germany planned an invasion during WWII but never initiated it. It was a good plan though, would probably have been successful, but overly costly. The Germans already had one very mountainous European country to contend with, Yugoslavia, the resistance in which tied down vital resources for them.
    Because attacking switzerland will be an ultimately stupid move.

    So the Singaporean plan in case of war with China is to invade China and "unload ammunition" upon Shanghai and Guangzhou. Good luck.
    That plan will prevent other countries from invading in the first place. Its called deterrence. It is in our 'social studies' text book.

    What is deterrence?
    - to increase the military strength of a country so that an intended aggressor would hesitate to attack it
    - deterrence is necessary as diplomacy alone cannot work effectively. For diplomacy to be effective, it has to be supported by military deterrence. A country's military strength will make a potential enemy think twice before attacking it. The enemy knows that if it continues with the attacks, the other country will respond with all its military might. In the end, both sides will suffer great losses.


    http://singaporehumanities.com/socia...troduction.htm

    Of course the forces will not indiscriminately attack at first, because portraying itself as a victim will gain support from allies, which is the first part of our defence, diplomacy. If diplomacy fails, then I suppose all military might must be unleashed. So far the main aggressors are Malaysia and Indonesia.

    Even the enemy knows this:
    ""Looking at the balance of military power between Malaysia and Singapore, the advantage in sophistication of weapons technology and material is to the Republic. In structure and doctrine...we know that the Republic's defensive strategy is forward defence."

    Lt Gen (Ret) Datuk Seri Zaini Mohd Said
    Former Malaysian Army Field Chief
    Mingguan Malaysia (Malaysian newspaper)
    3 February 2002
    "

    You said that other nations would "handle" your voting system. Why would those other nations be neutral?
    Because it does not benefit them if they were to mess around with the system. On the other hand, if they were to referee the system, we would return the favour with the same service. Vote counting should be done with livecam if via paper and through a secure server which should be available for public inspection(many programmers will be able to inspect this without restrictions) before voting starts.

    As I said, import of cheap (for the society) labor.
    Which part of white collar do you not understand? Many singaporeans have lower education than these foreign imports who are expensive to hire. On the other hand, we have not increased our manual labour force.

    The kitchen looks like that so that you will be more likely to hire a plumber. Unlike day-to-day cleaning, plumbing actually requires a modicum of skill and know-how. It's still nothing that you can't do yourself, of course.
    The kitchen looks like that because it provides a 'clean look'. 4/5 plumbers refused to work on a fitted kitchen. Its a pain really, one of them only agreed on working on my washing machine if I pulled it out myself, which required me to break the fixtures. ITs terrible designing. On the other hand, the recommendation from the washing machine manufacturer was: 'buying a new washing machine will provide free fixing'(equivalent to destroying the old fixtures and placing new ones), but that is wastage. Western culture... I can never understand.

    As for steam cleaning your carpet, that might be done by a maid, but hiring a maid in the first place presupposes that s/he will clean much more often than the perhaps once-per-two-years (or whatever) steam cleaning of your carpet.
    Every office worker has the skills needed to work a photocopier. Sorry to burst your bubble, but outside of Singapore there are no specific photocopy operators. If this means that you took the wrong education for an international job, I'm sorry.
    Actually, everywhere in the world, there are professional printers who would do mass photocopying, but thats not my point. I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. I said that everyone has trivial skills like operating a photocopying machine, and these jobs are usually delegated to people at the bottom of the food chain, and this includes buying coffee etc. Same thing with a professional cleaning company, or serving food. A maid happens to be at the bottom of the food chain. Junior doctors have to buy coffee for their bosses. Everyone has to start off with doing basic tasks and no, its not degrading, because you understand the importance of doing these tasks when you climb up the food chain and are bogged down with tougher decisions to make.
    Last edited by Kael Valeran; 25-01-2012 at 17:47.

  3. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    That plan will prevent other countries from invading in the first place. Its called deterrence. It is in our 'social studies' text book.
    That's a great plan, I heard the US and russia tried it too.

  4. #194
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Giggles's Avatar
    Server

    2nd star to the right
    Guild

    wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Posts

    4,094
    lol

    don't punch me in the face or I'll punch you in the face. I love that logic.

  5. #195
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    An eye for an eye.

    Official provider of peace in the mideast.

    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  6. #196
    GWOnline.Net Member Kael Valeran's Avatar
    Posts

    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    lol

    don't punch me in the face or I'll punch you in the face. I love that logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    An eye for an eye.

    Official provider of peace in the mideast.

    Do I sense sarcasm? Because I can't tell. AFAIK, it seems to be working, except in the middle east, because they do not have the right mentality to hold nuclear arms. That is, life is not worth living for too many. You can't expect someone who doesn't value his own life to hold a WMD.

  7. #197
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    Deterrence may be required if the threat of invasion is too high, but I think the emphasis should be on diplomacy.

    My pic and comment refers to the middle-east problem though, especially their "an eye for an eye for an eye" attitude. If deterrence is meant to be used peacefully and with a good agreement on non-escalation, then that can work pretty well.

    I honestly don't know enough about Singapore to be able to offer an informed opinion about this. I would not reject deterrence offhand, despite that I dislike spending into the military.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  8. #198
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Смерть's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Posts

    6,638
    Any thoughts on President Obama's State of the Union Speech? Those speeches in general (imho), are a PR grab; especially during campaign years. Some of the stuff said, I hear coming in part echoing what some of the Republican candidates have talked about so far - Obama reaching out to middle ground voters? In any case, a bunch of stuff that will not get done before his term is up. The only thing I got out of the address was that I LOL'd when Obama compared Congress to Wallstreet - they didn't like that comment, at all. Oh, and the spilt milk joke was horrible.

    Republican running (as it was from the start) pretty much between Gingrich and Romney. Sanitorum is done as is Ron Paul. Whether Gingrich or Romney gets the ticket, will be SOLEY based on Romney getting his act together. It is like Romney has fallen into the "Perry" route and debate has left him. He needs to stop chuckling weirdly, get that plastic expression of his face, stop stammering, be direct with his statements/rebuttals, etc. Gingrich is as charismatic as a newt. Gingrich would be more entertaining against Obama, imo, but eh... right now I am not too fond of anyone on both party sides.

    Meanwhile, Colbert for President 2012! Woooo!

  9. #199
    Obama's SotU was silly, what's with the international agency for enforcing fairness in trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Because attacking switzerland will be an ultimately stupid move.
    At that moment, yes. There are other possible situations where it is a clever move.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    That plan will prevent other countries from invading in the first place. Its called deterrence. It is in our 'social studies' text book.

    What is deterrence?
    - to increase the military strength of a country so that an intended aggressor would hesitate to attack it
    - deterrence is necessary as diplomacy alone cannot work effectively. For diplomacy to be effective, it has to be supported by military deterrence. A country's military strength will make a potential enemy think twice before attacking it. The enemy knows that if it continues with the attacks, the other country will respond with all its military might. In the end, both sides will suffer great losses.


    http://singaporehumanities.com/socialstudies/ssch6revisiontools/uploading files/introduction.htm

    Of course the forces will not indiscriminately attack at first, because portraying itself as a victim will gain support from allies, which is the first part of our defence, diplomacy. If diplomacy fails, then I suppose all military might must be unleashed. So far the main aggressors are Malaysia and Indonesia.

    Even the enemy knows this:
    ""Looking at the balance of military power between Malaysia and Singapore, the advantage in sophistication of weapons technology and material is to the Republic. In structure and doctrine...we know that the Republic's defensive strategy is forward defence."

    Lt Gen (Ret) Datuk Seri Zaini Mohd Said
    Former Malaysian Army Field Chief
    Mingguan Malaysia (Malaysian newspaper)
    3 February 2002
    "
    I think it's funny that you guys A) still use doctrines that became obsolete in the 1950s, and B) use them wrong. Also, talking about war between Singapore and Malaysia is like talking about war between the UK and Ireland. In both cases it's a much better idea to exchange trade goods and culture.
    Also, you'll have to forgive me for putting more stock in international institutions devoted to study war than I do in a text book devoted to control of the citizens of the state that published it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Because it does not benefit them if they were to mess around with the system.
    Suppose Malaysia could ensure that a law granting trade benefits to Malaysia would be passed. Don't you think they would?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Which part of white collar do you not understand? Many singaporeans have lower education than these foreign imports who are expensive to hire. On the other hand, we have not increased our manual labour force.
    Doesn't matter. It's still cheap for the society. Perhaps you do not understand the economics of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    4/5 plumbers refused to work on a fitted kitchen.
    No. Well, not here, anyway; maybe you acted like an ******* to any plumber that you contacted and that's why they would not help you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Western culture... I can never understand.
    It's a matter of making other people pay for the honor of doing our hard work for us, preferably while making them think that they benefit from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. I said that everyone has trivial skills like operating a photocopying machine, and these jobs are usually delegated to people at the bottom of the food chain, and this includes buying coffee etc.
    lol. An office photocopier is a work tool. A person working in an office do not work as a photocopy operator, he works as something else, whatever it might be. He might use a photocopier, but making copies is not his main work, and probably does not feature in his job description.

    A maid is something different. Her work is based on you being too lazy to vacuum your own home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kael Valeran View Post
    Junior doctors have to buy coffee for their bosses.
    Only in *** backwards countries where companies doesn't offer free coffee at work.

  10. #200
    GWOnline.Net Member Kael Valeran's Avatar
    Posts

    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Obama's SotU was silly, what's with the international agency for enforcing fairness in trade?

    At that moment, yes. There are other possible situations where it is a clever move.

    I think it's funny that you guys A) still use doctrines that became obsolete in the 1950s, and B) use them wrong. Also, talking about war between Singapore and Malaysia is like talking about war between the UK and Ireland. In both cases it's a much better idea to exchange trade goods and culture.
    Also, you'll have to forgive me for putting more stock in international institutions devoted to study war than I do in a text book devoted to control of the citizens of the state that published it.

    Suppose Malaysia could ensure that a law granting trade benefits to Malaysia would be passed. Don't you think they would?
    They did. Water was one of the contracts they wanted to change. Singapore relied on Malaysia for fresh water, in turn, we purify the water and sell it back to them as potable water. There were threats of war should there be stoppage of water.

    http://mt.m2day.org/2008/content/view/25887/84/

    As the argument dragged on, it bought us enough time to develop technology to drink our own piss. So all is good and well again. The contracted that was disputed ended in 2011.

    Doesn't matter. It's still cheap for the society. Perhaps you do not understand the economics of it.
    White collars are more expensive to hire than locals. The minister of education, who is our current president, made a terrible mistake with regards to the streaming system in education(and mistakes are pointed out and this has been scraped) and also because of the lack of universities at that time, many of the locals do not have the qualifications(but have the qualities) to take these higher paying jobs. In a mostly middle class society with 90% home ownership, subsidising housing for 80% of the population is not economical at all. UK has only 70% home ownership and the council flats are of ridiculous quality. There is so much focus and spending on retraining.

    As long as you are married(and straight), you should be able to pay for a home. It is illegal to be homeless. Disabled people get special care and are not considered homeless. It is cheaper to make singaporeans pay for homes, and then house more foreign manual labourers in lower tier jobs as they can be housed in dorms(against the law for foreigner to start family).

    No. Well, not here, anyway; maybe you acted like an ******* to any plumber that you contacted and that's why they would not help you.
    No I didn't act like an arse. They didn't even look at the washing machine. The only question they asked was 'is it fitted?'. I said yes, then they said its their policy not to work on fitted machines and I should be contacting the manufacturer who offered repairs at low price. However, the manufacturer refused to fix it because the machine was more than 5 years old or something and asked me to buy a new one. Thats ridiculous. I had it repaired and it is now 8 years old and still running fine.

    The info is written on the manufacturer's website. http://service.candy-domestic.co.uk/...Guarantee.aspx

    They said it would be cheaper to buy new machine which comes with fitting. I asked why, because they are going to charge labour at 129 and extra 100+ as it was a fitted kitchen not fitted by them. Obviously, I finally sourced an indie who said he is willing to fix if the machine is pulled out of its fittings which was 1) screwed into concrete, 2) firmly held behind stone tiles. 60 for the water pump and labour. My neighbours also also faced the same problems unfortunately.

    It's a matter of making other people pay for the honor of doing our hard work for us, preferably while making them think that they benefit from it.
    When I talk about western culture, I am talking about wastage. Everyone in the block throws away food, clothes, appliances. Its sad. The kitchens are never designed to be repaired in failure, they are designed to be replaced. It is a common complain in UK flats.

    lol. An office photocopier is a work tool. A person working in an office do not work as a photocopy operator, he works as something else, whatever it might be. He might use a photocopier, but making copies is not his main work, and probably does not feature in his job description.

    A maid is something different. Her work is based on you being too lazy to vacuum your own home.
    Yea, making copies for your boss is not part of your job description but you would do it anyway wouldn't you?

    I am certainly not lazy, my maid snatched plates from me when I tried to wash, she told me not to steal her job. LOL. Funny isn't it? She learned many skills, like operating a fridge. When she first arrived, she didn't know what a fridge, electricity, air conditioning, vacuum and steam ironing were. In addition, we provided housing, food and medical care which when combined, would cost more than what a minimum pay worker can earn in the US or UK.

    This is an investment. Most maids who start work are 16-18 years old. Some work two years and open their own shop back home. Its less sick than corporates who make interns fold clothes for free.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...charity-sector

    Only in *** backwards countries where companies doesn't offer free coffee at work.
    Yep, UK is a backward country. A lot of british will be pissed though when you say that.
    Last edited by Kael Valeran; 26-01-2012 at 13:16.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off