GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    In principle, yes.

In practice, a vote given to a small party that has no chance of winning seats basically ends up not mattering at all... hence people feel forced to make a strategic vote and vote for whoever is likely to win that they dislike least.
    and that is exactly what's wrong with politics, a vote is only useful if it's used on a party that has the most chances to win but it makes your choice of vote less likely your personal vote.
    what ppl actually have to do is not listen to some speeches but see what they "promise" to do, nothing else matters.
    you can see the "promises" and vote on your opinion, when the votes are in then and only then you see who wins.
    it's not really a fair fight when you don't have ppl voting honest but trough sheer pressure, revealing the stand in mid voting period is only making things worse.

this isn't just for one country, this is for every country in the world that has a voting system.
    even here in holland things are not done properly, the voting machines are really unclear and you don't really have a clear way to understand who does what.
    i ones voted for a party that is about animal protection, i knew it would not win but i could not find the one i did want to vote for.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    what ppl actually have to do is not listen to some speeches but see what they "promise" to do, nothing else matters.
    What matters more is to first get a good system in place, so that actually voting what you want makes a difference.

Right now, if 30% of people each vote for a candidate, and 40% vote for the third, likelihood is that the 40% one gets most or all the power instead of the power being divided amongst all three candidates.

I'd rather have three people argue over how to fix the country, than run the chance of having one power-hungry person making all the wrong moves.

http://therealnews.com/t2/component/...video_id=74170
    Last edited by Alaris; 31-07-2012 at 23:16.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    What matters more is to first get a good system in place, so that actually voting what you want makes a difference.

Right now, if 30% of people each vote for a candidate, and 40% vote for the third, likelihood is that the 40% one gets most or all the power instead of the power being divided amongst all three candidates.

I'd rather have three people argue over how to fix the country, than run the chance of having one power-hungry person making all the wrong moves.
    heh, we have that here, only it's 150 ppl yelling at each other on how wrong the other is......it's a mess....
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    heh, we have that here, only it's 150 ppl yelling at each other on how wrong the other is......it's a mess....
    As bad as when Bush was president? I doubt it.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    True, but to some people voting for one of two completely unsavory choices is also throwing your vote away.
    Then why do so many Americans vote? Are you that easily tricked?

Quote Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
    This. It's not "throwing away my vote" if I give it to the candidate I think is best for the office, realistic chance of winning or not.
    Well, if you vote for a candidate that will lose for sure, he will at least be encouraged to try again (and just lose again). More people running for president will create the illusion that the citizens of your country have a wider choice when electing their leader, thus making people feel more free. So really you are not throwing away your vote, you are performing a public service.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Freedom freedom freedom EH! Freedom freedom freedom EH!
    == Alaris & clone ==

Freedom freedom freedom EH! Freedom freedom freedom EH!
    I'm proud of you, you sound like a True American. Alabama4ever

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    This is definitely the best election-related thing I've seen this year, courtesy of California Tortilla.
    (a D.C./VA/MD-based franchise, ironically)

Josh Ellen and Marc Henderson! These two enterprising young men (for all I know they’re 104) came up with the winning names for our Presidential Burrito Bowls coming Monday, August 13th. Just look at these great names – and bowls:

Obama’s Chicken Teriyaki Luau Bowl: Mexican rice, grilled chicken, Teriyaki sauce, stir fry vegetables, grilled pineapple spears, garnished with chopped green onions and served in a bowl. (Please make my day and do the hula when you order it.)

Romney’s Mexican Mitt-Loaf Bowl: Grilled Mexican meatloaf, fresh mashed potatoes, sautéed vegetables, a sweet and savory sauce, corn, and salsa garnished with chopped green onions and served in a bowl. Mitt-Loaf. I love it.

So congratulations Josh and Marc. You’ve both won a catered party for 20 on Election night AND a 50” flat screen TV. Woo-hoo! (Fine print: you have to move in together and share it.)

As for the rest of you, you’ve won the ability to sway the election. Just gather up all your like-minded friends starting August 13thand order the burrito bowl of your preferred candidate over and over again. We guarantee whosever burrito bowl sells the most will be our next president. GUARANTEE IT. (The December Taco Talk may be written from jail.)

So if you care about your country (or us) at all, you’ll eat here many times in the next few months. It’s your patriotic duty.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Then why do so many Americans vote? Are you that easily tricked?
    No fair, that's one of those 'So have you stopped beating your wife yet?' questions.
    mv