PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Megaupload died today; totally not SOPA related

Quote Originally Posted by US prosecutors shut down one of world’s largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload
    McLEAN, Va. — One of the world’s largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

An indictment accuses Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart online piracy.

The Justice Department said in a statement said that Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and three others were arrested Thursday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. officials. Two other defendants are at large.

Megaupload was unique not only because of its massive size and the volume of downloaded content, but also because it had high-profile support from celebrities, musicians and other content producers who are most often the victims of copyright infringement and piracy. Before the website was taken down, it contained endorsements from Kim Kardashian, Alicia Keys and Kanye West, among others.

The Hong Kong-based company listed Swizz Beatz, a musician who married Keys in 2010, as its CEO.

Before the site was taken down, it posted a statement saying allegations that it facilitated massive breaches of copyright laws were “grotesquely overblown.”

“The fact is that the vast majority of Mega’s Internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay. If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue. We have some good ideas. Please get in touch,” the statement said.

A lawyer who represented the company in a lawsuit last year declined comment Thursday.

Megaupload is considered a “cyberlocker,” in which users can upload and transfer files that are too large to send by email. Such sites can have perfectly legitimate uses. But the Motion Picture Association of America, which has campaigned for a crackdown on piracy, estimated that the vast majority of content being shared on Megaupload was in violation of copyright laws.

The website allowed users to download films, TV shows, games, music and other content for free, but made money by charging subscriptions to people who wanted access to faster download speeds or extra content. The website also sold advertising.

The indictment was returned in the Eastern District of Virginia, which claimed jurisdiction in part because some of the alleged pirated materials were hosted on leased servers in Ashburn, Va.

Dotcom, a resident of both Hong Kong and New Zealand, and a dual citizen of Finland and Germany, made more than $42 million from the conspiracy in 2010 alone, according to the indictment.

Dotcom is founder, former CEO and current chief innovation officer of Megaupload.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I liked Megaupload...you could put up huge files there with excellent download speed, though upload speed was rather meh. Still, it's the same grey area as TPB, a lot of the content is actually legal, but it is also used for slightly less legal content spreading.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE

RIP

-Art

It's funny because a part of Megaupload, Megavideo, was essentially the same as Youtube. They even took down content if requested by companies.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

[Dii]
    This is the most horrifying news ever. Almost everything on IceFilms is hosted on megaupload (well, was..).
    I don't want to live in this cruel world anymore.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I don't like this. Aside from, as Vana points out, Icefilms being crippled, this sets a bad, bad precedent. MegaUpload was REALLY good about pulling down videos that were reported to them as copyright-infringing. They weren't putting the videos up; users were.

It may not be SOPA-related, but this is exactly what SOPA was trying to do to sites. So, what's next? Youtube? Dropbox?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I used megaupload to send some video footage I shot to a client this summer. are places like dropbox next?

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Seems there has been quite a bit of fallout from this already.

4 major websites down due to Anons retaliation.

More to some.

Oh glubbits!

-Art

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    This is going to be World War 3. On the World Wide Web.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    So, what's the general reaction here? Sadness and/or indignation that yet another innocent file-sharing group has been taken down, thereby curtailing our freedom even more? Because it seems to me that Megaupload might, just might, have been run by crooks and shysters.

And how about those cool superheros, the Anon guys? I don't find it frightening at all that a bunch of brilliant vigilantes have the power to shut down any website they feel like, do you?

I find this whole business disquieting on several levels.
    mv

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Me three MV,

However - do you trust those 'elected' to have your best interests in mind?

Disquieting is indeed the best way to describe it.

-Art