PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Blatant criminals like Megaupload (that's how it seems to me right now, I realize it may not be the case...)
    And there's your problem. Megaupload is one of the best sites on the web for taking down material when copyright has been claimed. They've been put on trail repeatedly, and each time found to be have followed the law to the best of their ability. And now they've been taken down for BEING ACCUSED of copyright violation. Not "found guilty of", just accused. Oh, and then there's the whole "arresting people in other countries" business.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drec Sutal View Post
    And there's your problem. Megaupload is one of the best sites on the web for taking down material when copyright has been claimed. They've been put on trail repeatedly, and each time found to be have followed the law to the best of their ability. And now they've been taken down for BEING ACCUSED of copyright violation. Not "found guilty of", just accused. Oh, and then there's the whole "arresting people in other countries" business.
    Who are not even American citizens...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    So, the FBI arrested people of another nationality? WTF?

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Daggers View Post
    So, the FBI arrested people of another nationality? WTF?
    No, not exactly like that... They had foreign people arrested on foreign soil where those foreign people were also foreigners. Two Germans and one Dutch were arrested in New-Zealand by the order of the FBI...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    and one Dutch were arrested in New-Zealand by the order of the FBI...
    Too bar for him he is in New-Zealand and not in the Netherlands.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drec Sutal View Post
    And there's your problem.
    I would say rather, Megaupload's problem.

My only problem is that, I have questions about this. I will neither blindly defend Megaupload nor the authorities, until I have more data.

Edit: This is what I'm reading:

As part of the crackdown, about 20 search warrants were executed in the United States and in eight other countries, including New Zealand. About $50 million in assets were also seized, as well as a number of servers and 18 domain names that formed Megaupload’s network of file-sharing sites.

The police arrived at Dotcom Mansion in Auckland on Friday morning in two helicopters. Mr. Dotcom, a 37-year-old with dual Finnish and German citizenship, retreated into a safe room, and the police had to cut their way in. He was eventually arrested with a firearm close by that the police said appeared to be a shortened shotgun.
    It looks to me as if the U.S. and eight other countries acted in concert with this. The arrests were made in each country by their respective law enforcement officers; the FBI didn't just walk into the country and arrest whomever they chose.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I dunno, I think saying things like labeling MegaUpload employees as "blatant criminals" is sort of taking the side of the authorities. "Blatant" means "obvious," so you're saying they were obviously criminals, which in turn means the arrests were valid.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    As the 13th most visited website in the world, Megaupload has vast financial resources and top tier lawyers at their disposal.

wow, I had no idea it was that popular.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I dunno, I think saying things like labeling MegaUpload employees as "blatant criminals" is sort of taking the side of the authorities. "Blatant" means "obvious," so you're saying they were obviously criminals, which in turn means the arrests were valid.
    Really? This is what I said:

Blatant criminals like Megaupload (that's how it seems to me right now, I realize it may not be the case...)
    So, yeah...I'm inclined to think that maybe, just maybe, some of the charges are genuine. I did say pretty clearly that I realize it may not be the case. Picking out the parts of a sentence you like, and leaving the rest of it out, should be beneath you.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    You also said this:

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    So, what's the general reaction here? Sadness and/or indignation that yet another innocent file-sharing group has been taken down, thereby curtailing our freedom even more? Because it seems to me that Megaupload might, just might, have been run by crooks and shysters.
    (Emphasis mine.) The "might, just might" seemed like sarcasm to me (apologies if that is incorrect). Coupled with the later "blatant criminals" comment, this is where I drew my assessment.

I wasn't picking parts of the sentence I like to try and paint some gruesome picture of you. You absolutely did say you realize it might not be the case, but that was preceded by "that's how it seems to me right now" - Doesn't that mean that, at the moment, you believe they're criminals, even if you're open to the fact that you might be wrong? And if you believe they're criminals and that some of the charges are genuine, doesn't that mean you agree with the arrests?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think this whole thing is a little too convenient given the waning support of SOPA & PIPA.