GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    A paperwork mistake? Really?

I hate it when the law actually takes a dive because it does a simple mistake like this, while crooks walk free breaking much more important laws.

Mind you, (1) DotCom doesn't get to walk just yet, and (2) even if he does, that doesn't mean he's not a crook.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Sounded more to me like they weren't allowed to take his stuff before proving him guilty, which means they made a huge blunder. But yes, the jury is still out on how this will play out.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Hence the whole outrage about throwing due process out the window.

I mean, you can't just circumvent the entire justice system and expect it to go smoothly. Not exactly happy that the only outcome may be the rich guy getting his money back, though.

Yeah, I was always curious on that point, but figured there was probably some info I wasn't aware of. Guess not.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    As I understand it though, the problem isn't that they seized stuff or that they did the raid... the problem is that they filed the wrong form. And the correct form was later submitted and approved. So really, if they had filed the right form to begin with, DotCom would not have had this win.

I can't tell if there was any advantage gained by submitting the wrong form, and the defense would have to show that they did that intentionally to get their win. Sounds as difficult as proving DotCom was doing copyright infringement intentionally (if you didn't have his emails confirming that, that is).
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Loosely related, but kind of an interesting read on the legality (and legal woes) of Grooveshark.
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-illegal.shtml

What I find most interesting is the statement the company released on legal v. licensed:
    First, there is a distinction between legal and licensed. Laws come from Congress. Licenses come from businesses. Grooveshark is completely legal because we comply with the laws passed by Congress, but we are not licensed by every label (yet).
    Kind of exemplifies how Hollywood thinks it can do what it wants and control the laws (because they basically can).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wouldn't it be illegal to copy & share files you do not have the license to?

I do like though how they seek to get the licenses and pay money to continue what they are doing, basically sending some of their earnings to those companies they infringe the copyrights of. That makes it business as usual. So far, they got one company to join them.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Well, presumably it would be copyright infringement, but their whole point is that they aren't infringing. It's just like all the other services: You can't stop users from uploading infringing material. They pull down any songs that are reported to them (try finding any Beatles or Tina Turner tracks).

While I don't know about the back end of Grooveshark's business practices, I definitely love the service and I think it's actually GOOD for the music business. I've bought a ton of albums after listening to them on Grooveshark. I think a lot of this is comes back to the greed of the music industry.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Thing is, if Grooveshark can make a good profit even after paying the companies for letting them do this, this is pretty cool. It gives users another option for getting music.
    == Alaris & clone ==

So much for Filesonic. Looks like they're running scared.

All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

If this file belongs to you, please login to download it directly from your file manager.