GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The methods are fairly consistent, and I am against the use of those methods...

I actually agree with them on a number of causes they fought for though.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    Anonymous' protest are peaceful.
    Hacking a website is about as peaceful as a burglary. Yes, no one is getting hurt, but you're still breaking and entering.

I agree with the rest.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Hacking a website is about as peaceful as a burglary. Yes, no one is getting hurt, but you're still breaking and entering.

I agree with the rest.
    I don't follow them, but DDoS is hardly burglary. It just puts the server offline for a while. I don't know if they do actual hacking aswell.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    They do actual hacking as well. They tend to do DDoS more often, probably in part because it's easier for noobs to do it.

Although DDoS is not burglary, it's like throwing a rock through some store's window. You've inconvenienced both customers and the store owner, and not really delivered a message in the process (most people probably don't know what Anon does, or why).
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    They tend to do DDoS more often, probably in part because it's easier for noobs to do it.
    It's also more, eh, anonymous. If you hack a server, you have a single connection coming from somewhere and if they do manage to find you in the logs, you run the risk of getting caught. But if 300 000 people participate in a DDoS...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm not tech-saavy that way. Can a single person do a DDoS? And if so, would be it traceable?
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    you can scatter the trace trough around thousands of computers, most of them don't even know what a hacker is.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm not tech-saavy that way. Can a single person do a DDoS? And if so, would be it traceable?
    DDoS stands for distributed denial of service, it simply means you get a huge amount of people(hence distributed) to request data from the server, either by F5-ing the page (nobody does this, but it illustrates the idea) or using a tool like LOIC. After a while the server will crash or reboot, and you have a successful DDoS. When you participate in a DDoS it's hard to hide your IP since if you use a proxy, you'll be flooding the proxy with requests which it won't like.

There's a bunch of different types of DoS attacks, wiki it if you want to know.

However, if you have a botnet (a network of infected computers which you can control) you can tell all those computers to spam the server with requests and a botnet may have enough slaves for successful DDoS, which would be one person doing a DDoS.

Controlling a botnet doesn't cost much bandwith at all so you can do that through TOR and VPN's and proxies to make you pretty hard to trace.

Actually hacking into a server and defacing a page is much harder than just DDoSing it by the way, and as rasp said it makes you more traceable.
    Last edited by Ringsgold; 26-01-2012 at 22:01.

Protip: 95% of Anonymous doesn't know better than to use the combination of Tor and LOIC.

Hardly "Expert Hackers Inc.".

I think anyone indulging in internet hacktivism under the Anon flag should be very wary of the kind of attention it'll eventually attract.
    The government agencies might seem bumbling and amateurish right now, but I'm not sure I really want to see them poked fully awake.
    And then there's the actual black hat hackers/"security experts" whose attention you really, really don't want, and in whose proverbial gardens Anon tend to be trampling around yelling HEY GOVERNMENT GUYS LOOK AT US DOING ILLEGAL **** LOL at the top of their lungs.

Anon aren't just poking dragons I'd much rather we let lie, they're going to make some pretty nasty enemies doing so.