GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The only advantage Anon has is that they are not focused. You couldn't crackdown Anon unless you went after ever single member. There is no leadership. There is no critical part you can strike at.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

So you say. I'm saying that you might not be as anonymous as you think once you annoy the wrong people.
    Remember how the whole lulzsec thing ended rather abruptly when actual computer experts started sniffing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    The only advantage Anon has is that they are not focused. You couldn't crackdown Anon unless you went after ever single member. There is no leadership. There is no critical part you can strike at.

On the other hand, arrest enough of them to make them realize that their beloved Anonymity is a myth, and you'll likely scare a good portion of them right off the 'net.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Agreed with Soulstorm & Feannag.

That's how crime is prevented generally, make people scared of getting caught.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

So far, no "normal" anon has been arrested for joining attacks afaik. But good luck to government agencies trying to arrest thousands of people from all over the world. Government agencies really aren't as scary as you make them sound.

Fun thing is, if "anon" make enemies, who are these enemies going to retaliate against? As a single person or cooperation, going after individual members of anon will make you thousands of enemies instantly.

By the way, nobody using LOIC has actual anonymity, since DoSing behind a proxy or Tor is stupid. Those joining in attacks probably know that.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Are we certain no "real" anon member was ever arrested? They could very easily just release a statement any time someone is arrested calling that person a poser, to keep up the pretense that they're immune to prosecution.

I said "normal" anon which would be someone just joining in an attack. There have been people arrested involved with anon, but they were coordinating attacks, running botnets, that kind of thing.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    So no one who was part of an attack execution was ever arrested?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Yeah, those anon guys sure are tough. (but FWIW, they're right to fear retaliation in this case) Therein lies the problem with Anonymous. They may support noble causes here and there, but there's no hierarchy to give them a backbone when it comes to tackling actual bad guys.

The whole thing with the Zs was a mess, though. Even if Anon were to expose sensitive details about them, all they can really do is wait for law enforcement or competition to (hopefully) swoop in. Instead of hacking them back, the Zs would just find out who they are and kill their families. Or, just as bad, they'd pony up on their threat to kill 10 people for each name released. It's lose/lose there, since bad guys don't play fair.

So, while it woud be nice to see them tackling bigger problems like this, I get the feeling they'll stick to the social side of things.
    Last edited by Zalis; 27-01-2012 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    So no one who was part of an attack execution was ever arrested?
    I honestly haven't checked, that's why I said AFAIK. I normally follow the news of hacktivist related stuff pretty closely and from what I've read the only people arrested have been atleast moderators of IRC channels where atacks were being coordinated.

yep, drug cartels > anon. With anon doing peaceful protests and at most harassment of people who go after them. Zalis, you obviously dislike drug cartels, if you want anonymous to do something about them why not join them and try to get something organised? You don't even have to sign up anywhere :p

As said before, anon are mostly young males who spend a lot of time on the internet. Not the types to risk getting shot for no reason but helping others. I assume none of them are affected by drug cartels in real life, so there isn't much personal gain there.

I guess anon could try to do something against these cartels, just anyone living anywhere near the region they operate shouldn't join. Preferably attacks whould be carried out from a different continent, and from behind a few proxies and VPN's. And even then the cartels would probably try to retaliate in some way and probably end up killing innocent bystanders. So the safest thing to do would be to gather lots of data and anonymously dump it at the local law enforcement authorities.