Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]

The Game Design Thread of Epicness!

We all play games, or have played games. That means that you must have thought at least once: "I could do this better!" or "I would do this differently!". While it is my goal to work in the Game Industry after University, I'm pretty sure some of you have game ideas which will probably never be implemented.

I usually bother my friends with awesome ideas (or at least I think they're awesome) and sometimes put them into reality with the (just about decent) programming skills I have.

I think there might be a use for a thread like this, since most of us human beings are usually full of crazy ideas. If you don't want to share your idea (because someone might pick it up and portrey it as their own, or for whatever reason), you don't have to! You can always comment on those of other people!

To keep things clean in here, I would like to impose my own little rule: new ideas must have a title for the post, so we can see the difference between idea and comment.

While I'd like to kick this thread off with what I've been thinking of the past few days and weeks, I'm afraid I must hurry up to get some work done (haven't really done anything today yet, and my exam is on Monday! ). I'll post my idea further down this thread, if someone has replied by then.

So I dare you,
    What is your idea?

PS: would someone tell me if it's "idea's" or "ideas"? I can't seem to figure it out! --> Thanks, Feannag
    Last edited by Guided Daggers; 26-01-2012 at 18:38.

It's "ideas".

GWOnline.Net Member Kael Valeran's Avatar

Game Idea 1

First!!

I am planning to create a game during the free time when I move from UK back to Singapore. I am thinking of a budget of about 10k, mostly to sprite artists as I am able to do most of the programming.

A game system must be simple, and open source, turn based and easy to understand and welcome contributions from the community. However, a huge number of viable options must present to the player to give them as many choices in character creation as possible. It will be a system that is easy to learn but difficult to master. Since I mentioned character creation, I would reveal it should be a single player RPG with 2d design due to the limited budget. It has to be polished, like ragnarok, unlike many 2d games, a single pixel antialiasing feature must be present to feature smooth display of sprites.

A fairly crude system will be using open d6 or d20(modified of course) as well allowing easy creations of community generated content, such as classes. Good creations will be rewarded and professional development jobs will be offered in the long term with a much bigger investment if this open source game kickstarts well of course.

Story
    The game storyline is something I thought of for a while. Epic games need to have epic stories, like the classical good vs evil type of game. Of course, good and evil are not just light and darkness. The story will strongly debate 'good vs evil' especially the points on 'righteous evil and indecent good'. Because of the fixed budget and better control to set the background, the storyline will not have multiple endings but the sequel may have depending on the situation. There will always be unlockables to hints of alternate endings. Since the game is open source, players are invited to post the alternate endings as they wish. Obviously, a database and rating system of user-generated content should be made and ideas good enough and with permission, will be subsequently patched and updated into the original game with associated credits given when due. Competitions to improve the game will be held as well. This will set the course for the second game.

The story will be simple and yet fun and engaging. It is about a hero from a city, Celestine. His bride is however the sister of his best friend, which could have made him king. Thus, he was betrayed by his best friend Sol, the ruler, on his weddng day. He was severely injured and his body lost in an avalance. In celestine, he was pronounced dead. He subsequently becomes an anti-hero as he was rescued by the enemy state in a dark fortress. He meets a dragon who rules the dark fortress Illoria who agrees to give him the knowledge, wisdom and power to seek justice on one condition, he becomes the ruler of Illoria and relinquish his identity, wearing a mask forever.

Meanwhile, by tradition, the general rule for a high ranking official was to not let any wife be widowed. Sol arranged a second marriage. As the hero was afraid his wife and the new groom were going to be harmed, with his newfound power, he attacks the city and rescues the duo just before they were harmed. It turns out that the new groom was his best student, the one he had elected to become his successor. The dragon who now lives and communicates with him through the mask tells him to seek a hero from each of the four states, celestine, Illoria, a wooded glade Aurora and a mountainous city Avrea. One is himself and the other is his ex-student. Two others are yet to be found.

He successfully persuades his ex-student and wife to follow him. To gain persuasion powers, much to the Hero's dismay, his ex-student and his wife were officially married and his oath did not allow him to reveal his own identity. In addition, he had to serve as a mentor to his ex-student to complete his training in the ways of fighting as instructed by the dragon.

Visiting the other states, he realised that they were less developed and had many conflicting cultures that complicated matters. However, though solving such incidents, he identified two heroes and took them in his party. The 5 formulated a plan to confront Sol. Sol on the other hand was build a tower of babel like structure to turn himself into a god. The dragon who was a prophet explained the use of the tower and the sacrifice of the lives in celestine for the Sol to achieve his goal. Obviously, the 5 struggled past Sol's newly created minions and finally met Sol himself. At first, Sol was very sure that he was going to win, however upon seeing the hero's scar which he had inflicted on the hero, he became flustered and his deadly powers were overcomed by determination and willpower of the party. Sol then revealed the identity of the hero and said he knew who the hero was. Sol was forced to do it because a prophet had indicated that he will be defeated and killed by four legendary heroes, one of it was him. As he could not live with himself, he tried to turn himself into a god to reverse the wrongs he did. Alas, he died. A rune key was created which could change the rules/codes that made the world run. This was given to the king of Celestine, who agreed to provide the entire land with justice and freedom.

As his bride learned his identity, she tried to approach him, but he shunned her and returned to Illoria, fufilling his oath. One night, his bride stole the rune key, and made a wish, that no matter what, the rules of this earth will dictate that she and the hero will eventually be together eternally, this changed the future of the entire planet as the laws that govern it shifted to accomodate this new rule. Thus ends the first story.

Classes
    Of course classes will be interesting, since there will be only 4 classes, it will be easy to balance and create endless customisation

1) Defender(hero) who defends all allies behind him when standing in the front row, parries, takes half damage, and counter attacks. When placed in the back row, he is able to deflect projectiles targetting him. Intelligence and wit will be key to help him. He will be able to cast spells belonging to the realm of Illoria(illusion based).

2) Knight(ex-student) who delivers strong offensives to single targets. He is a standard dice character built based on optimisation. He will be able to cast spells belonging to the realm of Celestine(gravity based). In the front row, he deals extra damage, in the back row, he has extra defense.

3) Marksman(champion from Avrea) - She is a ranged character in the back row and has multiple types of arrows to determine type of damage. In the front row she switches to dual blades and strikes multiple targets(speed based). She has the ability to craft weapons and arrows. She cast spells from the realm of Avrea(speed based). Special arrows can be downloaded as player created content which may produce different effects.

4) Card(Champion of Aurora) - He has a deck of 40 magical cards, and draws 5 at one time. He takes a turn to shuffle cards and each card is based on his turn. He is able to use all spells unlocked by all party members as long as they are imbued on his cards but they have half effect. There is a maximum of 3 duplicate cards in the deck to prevent spamming as well as generic elemental spells. Earth elemental and spells belonging to the realm of Aurora imbued on his cards deal normal damage. Initially, he starts with 25 blank cards, thus the need to reshuffle more often, as he levels, this reduces. He is only allowed 3 elite cards(more powerful versions). However, if he holds 5 cards in his hands, if in the front row, he is able to use more than 1 card as long as they belong to the 5 in his hand. He can then reshuffle and redraw on his next turn. In the back row, he can reshuffle and redraw as a free move at the end of the turn, discarding only the cards he does not want to hold. However, he can only use 1 card at any one time. Other cards are deck-modifying cards or cards that try to minimise deck size to increase reliability and these are found in secret locations. They include those that peek onto the top of the deck, rearrange cards in hand, selectively keeping some, draw 10 cards and return 5 to the deck, withdraw one elite card etc. Only one of each of such cards may be in the deck. He can thus use these to draw 3 powerful elite cards and spend a turn to switch to the front row, unleashing all 3 elite cards at one go.

Custom created classes.
    They can be download as community content, and recruited from taverns in each of the cities.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Daggers View Post
    I'm pretty sure some of you have game ideas which will probably never be implemented.
    I have game ideas, and I am implementing them ;)

It's ideas if it's plural. Idea's would be an idea's possessions, like an idea's profit value, or an idea's idea.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    The difference between the secrecy of Alaris and the openness of Kael Valeran is overwhelming!
    But that's alright, sometimes it's better to keep it all a bit of a secret...

Well, Kael, that was a big post! Interesting read, though some parts of the story I didn't understand (it will probably become more clear when playing the game, though). I like the idea of the Card class, something I've only seen in League of Legends (and I was terrible at that Hero). With these four classes I can imagine the game might play like a charm. You've got some really cool ideas! (See, I can use the word correctly now! )

Still don't have time to write an extensive post about my own stuff, but I will soon. Here are some titles from other games that have similar elements, to tease you guys ;)

• Guild Wars
    • Serious Sam
    • Pac-Man
    • Super Mario Bros
    • Diablo

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The reason for the secrecy is that some of my more central ideas are easily stolen, so I need to keep that under wraps until I can feasibly become commercial. And since I do not have funding for this, it might still take a while before I can go commercial.

I can however say a few things about other parts of the game...

1) GW2-inspired skill system with conditions, summons, and prots, with action-based combat.

2) Races with vastly different gameplay, mainly focused on non-combat differences (mobility, survival, etc).

3) All-races, all-weapons, all professions (I'd rather some combinations be sub-optimal than not allowing them, but I have ideas for balancing all this mess)

4) Crafting!!!

5) Customizable cosmetics

And that's just the parts that I am willing to talk about.

About Guided's game: So you'll be jumping on the heads of suicide bombers while eating gems and keeping yourself alive using a permaform?
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    I figured it was something like that. Good luck on getting funding!

Not really, actually. When I thought of those games, I thought of different aspects. I'm still not ready to start on it, though, so I still have to decide if I'm going to make it a parody of the genre or not.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i am currently working on 3 designs, one HUGE anime MMO, one decently big superpower MMO and one EPICALLY HUGE space game.
    the biggest challenge will be to tackle the tech behind it, how it make a world this big without making the game impossible to make.

the anime game will be around 3.5X bigger then WoW (yes, that's almost as big as france or germany) but with a way better skills system then the regular MMO to keep players entertained.
    it will aslo feature dynamic events, dynamic quests (that i will not get in to right now) and the GW1 version of missions to tell the tale.

the super hero game will have a true action fighting system, the entire game is a sandbox world where you can quite literally make your own character.
    if possible within tech, you will also be able to fight in surroundings while punching and kicking mobs and other players trough walls and even trough entire buildings.
    i even designed a skills system that is perfectly made for a game without levels, i also designed it in such a way that you have complete control on your skills and everything around it.

the space game is also a level-less game, it instead focuses on developing your ship and making your own ship as powerful as you can make it.
    you have complete control on what tech you're using, what you make more powerful on your ship and even how big it will be.
    you will not be able to make death star-sized ships but it comes close, if you want to you can even keep your ship small and search for really advanced tech made for smaller ships.

i'll just keep it on it that i watched what players want all this time, i am just like you a player who wants more freedom in allot of games and that's exactly what i am trying to offer.
    no more "i can't get this because..." or "again this boring grind", the worst IMO is "but they claimed we can ..........but we can't".
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think the worse part of thinking about game dev is to think "how can I reasonably achieve this".

I do have practical solutions of how I can achieve my goals within roughly 1 year of full-time work (worse-case scenario), the main problem is finding financing so that I can put in that time instead of having to hold a job during the day.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    1) GW2-inspired skill system with conditions, summons, and prots, with action-based combat.

2) Races with vastly different gameplay, mainly focused on non-combat differences (mobility, survival, etc).
    1 - Didn't you start developing this before we knew much about GW2?

2- Interesting... I can see that being kind of cool, but has the potential to be annoying. I typically only play humans, so if your human race didn't fit my playstyle or whatever, I'd be an uber grump.

Out of curiosity, are you designing the art yourself?