GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The game has to be designed with this in mind.

I look at my movement abilities (and I have some pretty cool ones) and I try to think on how that integrates into normal gameplay, and how it can be abused. If I can prevent abuse, and make it an interesting and fun aspect of gameplay, I keep it.

Generally speaking though, movement in my game is more about dodging and getting a better vantage point, rather than finding a way to skip combat or cheapen it or even avoid traps. Kinda like how in JC2 you can use the hook to move around, but the game is designed around you having this really powerful ability, so that missions are made so that you can't easily abuse it (or rather, you are supposed to abuse it to get the mission done).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i need some opinions, in the anime MMO i am planning on giving every content it's own theme.
    this is what i have so far.
    1.) fantasy
    2.) present
    3.) future
    4.) music

now the problem is that i need to fill 5 and 6, 7 will be the final one but that's more a wasteland full of doom and ancient evil.
    so what do you think would be a perfect theme for an MMO, you can go completely out of context so don't be afraid that it doesn't fit.
    also know that every content has 4 sections so even while the content has one theme, every theme has it's own 2-4 gerne. (like in music the first section you have classic while the second section is all pop)
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

To be honest, I never design my games by starting with the themes. I usually start with a story. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for theme wise, and why you want that number of themes. Perhaps you could elaborate?

From what I gather, but correct me if I'm wrong, is that your game will have 7 big areas. And each area must have a unique theme, but every area is also divided into 4 sub themes. So if I understand all this correctly, why do you want that much content to begin with? I'd personally start with the game itself, and with only one area that has a unique theme. If the game is fun without any of the other themes, then perhaps you can add more on top of it later. But start with the basics first.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I start with the gameplay, but that is my bias.

I think different games have different strengths, but that generally it's easier to build a story and themes around gameplay than vice-versa. Gameplay limits what you can and cannot do story-wise.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    To be honest, I never design my games by starting with the themes. I usually start with a story. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for theme wise, and why you want that number of themes. Perhaps you could elaborate?
    i start with the story to but the story is allowing me to design the game around different themes, ill give you the gist of the story.
    a demon is destroyed a 1000 years before the game starts but 6 seeds where spread out trough the world by a machine the demon created, when that happened they decided to raise magical walls no living beings can pass.
    this resulted in every content to live and develop differently, one kept there normal life while others changed completely, some made small jumps to new tech while others leaped beyond any other tech on the world.
    the fourth content even developed on a strange way, there taste of music became so powerful that the entire content is based on music.

so simply put, every content really is differently from each other, i did this so the game breaks free from the same drag allot of other mmo's have.
    see it a bit like kingdom hearts only then within one world, it keeps the game fresh every time you get in a new content.

sorudo.9054

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    i need some opinions, in the anime MMO i am planning on giving every content it's own theme.
    this is what i have so far.
    1.) fantasy
    2.) present
    3.) future
    4.) music

now the problem is that i need to fill 5 and 6, 7 will be the final one but that's more a wasteland full of doom and ancient evil.
    so what do you think would be a perfect theme for an MMO, you can go completely out of context so don't be afraid that it doesn't fit.
    * Nature: The few people remaining live in stoneage conditions, and there can be dinosaurs or bigger versions of normal predators (like giant lions) or what not prowling the lands. This might be too close to the fantasy world, but I don't know.
    * Magic: People developed magical abilities and now everything is done by magic. This might be too close to fantasy too.
    * The past: These people are obsessed with the old times, and do everything to try to keep them (unfortunately they are doing the wrong things, so what they think is the old times, are not the real old times). For example they highly revere old age and traditions, and they are extremely polite and courteous. They also prefer to repair old things instead of building new, so everything looks like it has been repaired a hundred times. There are ruins everywhere since if something falls apart, they would rather keep it than clean it up, since it reminds them of the past.
    * Strife: Here, nobody trusts anyone, and everyone is only looking out for themselves. This has led to that the countryside is full of bandits, and even when you reach a village or city, the streets are not exactly safe. Wars are commonplace, even villages can send raiding parties against each other. The only way to get some security is to get people to trust you (great opportunity for quests).
    * Steampunk: Well... its obvious what this is.

Just some suggestions

You could go even more weird with the themes if you really want to give a bizarre twist on the game with each area.

How about a continent of contradictions? Or a continent where everyone is illogical?

Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i could try to design a content of art, there are really weird paintings and statues in the world.
    may a world similar to the world of alice in wonderland, nothing makes sense in that world.

sorudo.9054

The thing with Alice in Wonderland is, there was an underlying theme of mocking the way upperclass people behaved at the time (in other words, they didn't make sense, and upheld stupid traditions simply for the sake of adhering to their own thought up silly rules). So there is more to it. Granted, a lot of things like the Mad Hatter's tea-party don't make much sense overall, but there was a lot more thought put in Alice in Wonderland than people give it credit for. I think that might be key from a storytelling perspective. What is the message you want to deliver with your story, if there is a message at all? It can be something very simple.

Take the game Alundra for example, which was a zelda clone basically. Spoiler alert: Alundra was about a hero who could enter people's dreams. And lately the town of Inoa was suffering from terrible nightmares, and had thus turned to an old god and started praying to him for safety. Of course as it turns out, the god they are worshipping is actually the cause of all the nightmares (in order to get them to pray), and Alundra finds himself trying to convince the people of Inoa to turn away from their religion. In the end, it is their combined faith in the hero, that saves the day. Sort of an anti religious message there, but anyway.

I think that might be the important thing about telling a story in a game, delivering some sort of message (preferably one not riddled with cliches). The story doesn't have to be extremely complicated, and it doesn't need to have more twists than an average episode of Lost. Key is getting players to like the characters, and having some sort of message.

For example, the story of my own game revolves around resolving feelings of guilt, and learning to deal with the loss of a loved one (which is definately not a new theme, but its all in the execution). There are crazy things that don't seem to make sense all over the dreamworld, but they do have a grounding in the backstory. For example, you might be wandering through a desert and there are car wrecks all over the place. It may feel out of place, and not make much sense, but the story of the game has an underlying theme about a fatal car crash, which does explain the crazy visuals.

Silenthill does this too. Silenthill is a big nightmare world, where every strange and creepy visual is a personification of the fears of one of the characters. Which explains all the zombie nurses, because the key character spent a long and painful time in a hospital, and nurses scare her.

Sidetracking a bit, last night I saw the Asian horror/fantasy flick Re-cycle. It also had a lot of dreamworld imagery, and things that did not make sense. Towards the end, they start explaining some of it, while a lot of other visuals are left unexplained. Which just goes to show that anyone can come up with bizarre visuals, but it takes effort to put some thought into the visuals, and how they link to the story. Giving away the plot twist for a moment (don't read this if you plan to see the movie), towards the end the main female character finds herself through a tunnel with aborted babies. As it turns out, she had an abortion, and her struggle to deal with the loss of her could-be daughter is what the story it is all about... and then there is another plot twist at the end, but anyway... Linking visuals to the story. Not surreal imagery simply for the sake of being crazy.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 10-03-2012 at 10:39.

Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    it's a simple message that kinda mocks the way ppl think of other countries, don't judge others by how they life but experience it first.
    the game has 6 completely different styles and every content is separated in 2-4 sections, there are so many different experiences that you never get bored after the first 2 contents.
    IRL when you go to japan from holland you come in a completely different world, things we think is just weird is an everyday thing in japan.
    ppl judge that ppl in japan are just weird, this game teaches that weird is more a definition of "i don't understand" rather then what ppl think it is.

sorudo.9054