GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    That reminds me, I had some ideas for puzzles in my game, I'll add it to my todo list.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Small update, the skill tree is finally working. I'm still adding some fancy animations for it as we speak. But right now all skills can be bought with skillpoints, allowing you to eat an apple from the tree of knowledge. One of the 19 skills is currently implemented. It will take a while to add them all. But since experience and skillpoints also work, I can pretty much say that the entire skillpoint system is now working exactly as intended.

It took me a while to get the communication between the interface and the scene to work correctly, since they are both separate entities, and passing information from one to the next is tricky. I still notice some delays as the script loads the rather memory heavy full screen animations. I'll have to see if I can find a solution to that. The big close up of the main character is putting a bit of a strain on the processor every time it has to load the big animations for it. But it looks awesome. Here's how it works:

When ever the player enters the area, the game checks how many skillpoints you have, and which skills, and skill-tiers are unlocked. Because as soon as you aquire a skill from one branch, it unlocks the next set of skills on the next branch. When ever new skills/apples are unlocked in this way, the game triggers the grow animation. And the apples literally grow from the tree instead of just popping up.

Clicking on an apple, makes a description of the associated skill pop up, and prompts the player with the option of eating it, dropping it, or leaving the room. When you drop it, the game returns you to the apple selection part. When you eat it, it triggers a fancy animation, and your new skill is unlocked. This also unlocks the skills for the follow up branch, and the game immediately checks if it needs to grow new apples.

Unlocked apples that you do not have enough skillpoints for yet, grow partially. You can't pick them yet, and you can't see their skill description. But the game does trigger a different animation for them, that shows them growing only a little.

Now all that is missing, is a simple skillpoint counter on the same menu.

(Also in the screen shot are some of the cute blossom particle effects. As you can see, the first three branches are unlocked right from the start. Eating any of these apples will unlock the next couple of apples. I used a cheat to get a zillion skillpoints here. :P )
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 20-02-2012 at 13:54.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Small update.

I am happy about how the rifle has a mode to shoot like an automatic at a high rate, and has a button to reload (it shuts down your weapon skills for 2s, but during that time you have high energy regen). Now if I can only get the bleeding condition to work properly.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Awesome, Rob!

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

A dead one (SF)
    You guys have any plans to post some work in progress vids? I'd love to see 'em!

That might be more interesting to see as more stuff gets added. With an adventure game, I don't think it is quite so interesting to look at, unless I finish one of the action scenes or puzzles. Lately it has been mostly a case of adding missing features, and expanding the world. But there isn't much dialogue yet, not many characters, and certainly not any puzzles. So I think at this point a video wouldn't show that much yet. But I'll certainly post some footage at a later stage.

Don't know about Alaris' project, that looks like a video might do it justice. I'd love to see some of the player movements in action.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, the game type certainly would be more interesting in video, but I have mostly focused on gameplay mechanics and much much less on graphics. I have no animation to speak of as of yet, that includes melee combat.

So while I think a few videos showcasing what you can do in the game might work, these should supplement the alpha. That is what I am aiming for: early alpha.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Clicking on an apple, makes a description of the associated skill pop up, and prompts the player with the option of eating it, dropping it, or leaving the room. When you drop it, the game returns you to the apple selection part. When you eat it, it triggers a fancy animation, and your new skill is unlocked. This also unlocks the skills for the follow up branch, and the game immediately checks if it needs to grow new apples.

etc.
    I like this! Seems really cool, but will there be points where you have to have a certain skill to proceed? Anyway, as for your earlier question about the bookshelf, well, one could always let the character start as a child and then grow, allowing her to reach higher shelves, or unlock new rooms in a library, or something.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Like the art work very much here Rob!

Sort of early Sierra On-Line and SCUMM.

-Art

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    I like this! Seems really cool, but will there be points where you have to have a certain skill to proceed? Anyway, as for your earlier question about the bookshelf, well, one could always let the character start as a child and then grow, allowing her to reach higher shelves, or unlock new rooms in a library, or something.
    Yes, there are three categories of skills: Knowledge, behavior and abilities. Eating any of the first three apples of any category, unlocks the next three apples of that category. But the apples also becomes more expensive. Tier 2 apples cost 2 skillpoints, tier 3 apples cost 3 skillpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Yi Mor View Post
    Like the art work very much here Rob!

Sort of early Sierra On-Line and SCUMM.

-Art
    Thats the idea, the look of a classic Sierra adventure game. Would be nice if I could also get that kind of classic music.