PC Gaming News

View Poll Results: Choose an attunement! Fire, Water, Air or Earth!

Voters
86. This poll is closed
  • Fire

22 25.58%
  • Water

25 29.07%
  • Air

23 26.74%
  • Earth

16 18.60%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Right, we do have more info now, don't we? Here's the build I'm planning on trying out first:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...0l0n0s0u0v1d1e

Note that I only put points in earth and air, but that a lot of the minor traits don't depend on me using any specific attunement. In fact, I think inscription and evasive arcana might work better if I swap attunements fairly often. I plan on using glyph of elementals in one, cast the long recharge spells and then switch before casting glyph of lesser elementals.

Then after getting up close to enemies, switch to earth attunement so that earthen blast will hit them and tank for a little while. Should be pretty easy to do with all the defensive skills you get from that line. Should keep the attention off of the elementals while they're up quite nicely. If they go down or I start running out of defensive options, I'd swap to air before or after dodging away from them depending on what spells evasive arcana puts into effect. Then hopefully kill them. Bosses would be a longer process of course.

So basically, earth will be my go to while tanking in the front lines and air will be my go to while trying to kill stuff from afar. Fire and water will probably be more of a switch in and out kind of deal, to get more effects from my glyphs/traits. Oh, and to apply more conditions as I have +300 malice from traits and +0 power from them. Burning from fire and chill/dazed from water.

Gah, keep trying to state I like the attunements in this order: Earth, air, water, fire. With water and fire basically tied. But I'll be swapping a lot so it probably doesn't matter which I like the most. Btw, I like this system a lot more than gw1's, both the ability to use multiple elements and the fact that enemies don't have armor specifically for certain elements or more important, immunity from any of them.
    Last edited by djacob; 08-03-2012 at 01:46.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    After being able to play in the beta last weekend I have to say that Fire Magic is a lot more fun and will probably win some more friends. A lot of depends on the weapon combo you use, IMO. Water had some nice game play and probably still is my favourite. The least fun (judged by over all damage, versatility fun & effects) actually was Air Magic.

Have you changed your mind after being able to play, or have you seen videos that turned you opinion around. Cast your vote, if you have not done it yet.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My only significant experience with elementalist was that one person in our dungeon running water for healing. I don't know how effective it was (I assume on-par with engineer) but it's still the role and element I am most excited about. I have to wonder though how effective water is when soloing, does it provide good self-heals as well?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    My only significant experience with elementalist was that one person in our dungeon running water for healing. I don't know how effective it was (I assume on-par with engineer) but it's still the role and element I am most excited about. I have to wonder though how effective water is when soloing, does it provide good self-heals as well?
    Without the ability to cause the vulnerability condition, and buffed by trait points, I'd say that Water Magic does a lot less damage than Fire and Air. The first trait I got was Soothing Mist, which you need to have a Regeneration Boon while attunened to Water.

Main hand dagger is pretty offensive (Vapor Blade stacks up to 6 charges of Vulnerability!) and offers a heal to allies (who stand inside the Cone of Cold)
    Scepter has Shatterstone (which is a ground targeted delayed damage Vulnerablility skill) and Water Trident, which heals close to impact too.
    The staff probably is the most rounded choice for the Water Magic line. One delayed ground targeted AoE (Ice Spike) with Vulnerablity, two heals (Geyser & Healing Rain) and one are control skill with a Chill effect (Frozen ground). Of course you will be able to place those ground targeted spells at all the wrong places if you are a bad player.
    I actually liked Geyser as a heal for melee characters that did not use a lot of dash/leap/shadowstep stuff, as you could spot them, assess the pressure on them and drop a Geyser at their location to buff. Worked also on "lazy casters" that did not move a lot.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Thankfully, it's as easy as swapping your element to go from damage to support. Unlike the engineer, you don't even have to swap skills around.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

The Order of Dii
    Water! Or air, these two elements are close to each other. They mean freedom to me

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Gorani, if you had to explain the gameplay of each attunement in few words, what would it be?

To me, fire seems like damage, AoE mostly. Water is healing and snare. Earth is tanking (as much as there is such a thing in GW2). Air, I have no idea. I could be completely off the track though as I have not been following elementalists that much, and I have not tried it in the beta either.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Gorani, if you had to explain the gameplay of each attunement in few words, what would it be?
    Fire: Almost no single target damage skills, so there is a lot of AoE, either in a pattern in front of you / around you or (ground) targeted. Fire does a lot of base damage + you get a condition, which is Burning. When attuned to Fire, your job is to do damage to packs of foes, so you have to keep searching the battlefield for tight groups or lure them to choke points. You can also set up a lot of combo fields. With Phoenix you have a great utility, which removes conditions & grants the Vigor boon for active dodging.

Water: Water provides little damage unless you effectively use the Vulnerability condition with some spells, Water magic can actively heal yourself and allies and it offers battlefield control in the form of spells that apply the Chilled condition for slowing down enemies. When attuned to water you either have to "get out" (it's the attunement swap of choice when soloing, whenever you think you can not defeat the foes), or you actively seek out allies, which need assistance. That does not mean pure healing (remember, no "trinity"), but softening up foes under attack by allies (Vulnerability), healing mobile/stationary allies (depending on your skills) and slowing down incoming new forces (which happens a lot due to scaling of events).

Air: A lot of single target skills that can do decent damage, but are wasted most on "spamming on recharge". Some apply the Blind and Stun condition. While Water is about slowing down your enemies, Air is about moving them around (e.g. push them back with Gust) or buffing your allies (e.g. speed boost with Windborne Speed) to be faster than the foes. When attuned to Air much depends on your current weapon and its choices of skills. You should focus on the most dangerous foe, e.g. the one that has summons for more nasty stuff (e.g. Son's of Svanir who summoned additional Ice Elementals, that summoned a lesser Elemental, too).

Earth: Earth covers two things, DPS with the stackable Bleeding condition and personal protection with skills like Obsidian Flesh or Magnetic Aura. Cripple & Knock down effects are also common with Earth skills. When you are attuned to Earth you should single out a foe and try an overload of stacking Bleeding or Weakness on them, which softens them up and kills them in the end. Some skills are even designed to get you close to the enemies (Magnetic Grasp), which makes sense, as many skills are PBAoE skills. A well played Elementalist probably is there, where the action is, contributing to damage and finishing off foes with something like Earthquake and Churning Earth. Of course he will also need to know when to get out, when his protective spells run down.
    Last edited by Gorani; 28-03-2012 at 14:46.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wow, interesting. Cool, thanks.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    After so many people got the opportunity to play in the April BWE, I want to raise attention to this poll again, where Fire did have quite a come back over the last weeks.
    Has the BWE changed your mind or have you not voted yet? Please drop your vote now.