Poll: Pick your fav skill type

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Well, define clonish and I can try to answer based on my, admittedly, limited knowledge of WoW. Feel free to PM me, of course, since we're uber-sidetracking this thread now. It is still an MMO, so you might find it WoW-clonish, but it has some stuff that I think is cool, like Legendary Items, Book Quests, Deeds, and Skirmishes.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    What's more important for me is combat dynamics. Can you dodge shots? Also, do you use skills in a fairly predetermined rotation or are they more situational?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Can't dodge, no. I don't think skills are really used in a predetermined rotation because a lot of skills (at least with classes I play) are triggered by other events. Each class has a unique mechanic that ties into this.

Warden, for example, uses a system called Gambits. Basically, Wardens only really get three skills: Spear, Shield, and Fist. You chain those three together in a certain order to create a Gambit. An example: Spear Shield Spear Shield = Wall of Steel; buffs your riposte. Fist Spear Shield Fist Shield = Exultation of Battle; AOE DoT that heals you for the HP it drains. EoB you want to use when you're surrounded to get the maximum benefit. If you're just fighting one mob, you'd be better of with one of the HoT skills you can get (Shield Spear Shield Spear Shield = Restoration).

Captains get a herald and banners, but you can only use one at a time. These can be used to buff your energy, hp, or combat skills. They also get a few shouts that can only be used after an enemy is defeated. One is an AOE attack, another is a combat buff, third is a heal, fourth is actually a battle res. They're not too bad in combat, but their DPS is low. They have a couple of attack skills, including a shout which makes them "Battle Ready" or something, which then allows them to use one of two different damage skills. There's more to the class than that, but this already kind of lengthy.

In short: It's still an MMO, but, of the classes I've played, it's not like "Here are all your skills, use them all in a specific order." On my Captain, to be honest, combat is pretty static. Just stand there, hit attack skill, use shout, use anohter attack, kill enemy, use battle shout, kill other, heal, etc. But it IS my preferred role (melee + support). Warden is way more involved (which is why I love it) because I never follow the same pattern in killing an enemy twice.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, I got my answer. The no dodging is usually associated with static combat. However, the skill system does sound more interesting than standard clones. The warden sounds like Magicka, which some people find fun. The Captain has some situational skills (must be used after a foe dies).

Another quick question. Are persistent areas mostly 1vs1 or what? For reference, in WoW you're usually alone although you can group up, and you can easily aggro single foes. That's 1vs1 despite the ability to group and to aggro more than 1. SWTOR is 2vsMany as in you & hench vs a mob where it's impossible to aggro just one.
    == Alaris & clone ==

The lines that prevent you from crossing. No idea what they're called (they're the wards? IIRC, somebody used Line of Warding so that's probably right).

Oh and combat in LotRO is wow-like. Not an exact clone as some of the classes are pretty unique (though tbh, not necessarilly interesting), but the meat and bones of the combat is the same.

Wards have potential to be absolutely awesome.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    I'm not going to choose a specific type, but rather define the actions I think are very interesting for skills since that makes more sense to me.

Any type of skill that interacts with the environment to act as a sort of zone control through either physical blocking or a tradeoff for the enemy for passing through creates a good dynamic for the gameplay.

Any skill that is some sort of skillshot adds a lot in my opinion. Most of these so far seem to appear as AoE skills, which is fine. I would like to see some skills implemented as skillshots though that don't necessarily have to be AoE.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Another quick question. Are persistent areas mostly 1vs1 or what? For reference, in WoW you're usually alone although you can group up, and you can easily aggro single foes. That's 1vs1 despite the ability to group and to aggro more than 1. SWTOR is 2vsMany as in you & hench vs a mob where it's impossible to aggro just one.
    I think it depends on the class. You can absolutely group, which speeds things up, but I haven't needed to group for anything other than dungeon areas (ex. Barrow Downs). I don't think any of the classes NEED to group, but I'm not positive.
    On my Warden, I rarely fight 1v1 because he's a powerhouse. I usually grab at least two mobs, sometimes 3 or 4. When it's 3-4, it's more interesting because I have to be more careful about which gambits I'm using (defense, heals).
    On my Captain, I usually use the bannerman, so it is typically 2v1 or 2v2. I haven't used him in a while, but I seem to remember him having more trouble with multiple mobs than my Warden.

In LotRO, as soon as you have more than one mob beating on you, combat changes. Whenever I have multiple mobs hitting me, I seem to lose HP a lot more quickly, and not proportionately like in other MMOs. I THINK position affects the damage done / your defense (so if the other mob is behind you, it hits more often and harder), but I'm not positive.

Another class example I just thought of: Hunter (Ranger-equivalent) is really effective in ranged combat. Even my Warden, if he's getting hit by a Hunter mob, his HP starts to drop. But once I get into melee with him, the fight is basically over because you can't used ranged weapons up close. So, as a Hunter, your goal is to keep combat to ranged as much as possible. Hunter mobs will often root / snare / stun you so they can run away a bit and peg you with their ranged skills.
    I used to know about Minstrel (healer), but they did some huge changes and I haven't played him since.
    Rune Keepers have a gauge that essentially "overheats" depending on the skills you're using. If you're using a lot of heals, it locks you bar so you can ONLY use heals until it goes back down; same for damage spells.

Combat is def not as advanced as GW 2, probably not even as advanced as DDO, but I don't really think it is a WoW clone.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The 1vs1 question wasn't so much about whether you did, but whether it was possible. In WoW for example, you can 1vs1, but many professions can and often do aggro multiple foes at a time.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Wards and bubbles, definitely - especially if they actually look like bubbles. I bring SoD with me quite often just because it's really fun to watch; I wouldn't mind seeing a much prettier version in GW2.