PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Guild

Cold Steel Brigade
    Alaris, you wanted to see a boss that really moves around here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDJX...feature=relmfu

Go to the 12:40 mark. They are fighting a wasp that moves all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    While that might be my opinion, I honestly don't see a problem with the issues you bring up. Since any sellable item will be for vanity purely, why does it matter that it takes a while for them to hit the market? Why does it matter that they might initially be expensive due to droprate probability not evening out over a small samplesize.

The initial price is still determined purely by supply and demand in its purest form. Since all of these first item cases will be happening early in the game, there won't be all that much money flowing through the game regardless. Prices if sales are applicable can't be artificially higher than the accrued wealth of the richest person so far if he/she chose to buy that item. Sure, some people might speculate and hold onto previously unknown to the public items to keep them from going on the market until people have more wealth on average. That same person might risk someone else getting the same item though, and that he isn't made of the same so instead puts it up for sale and is willing to take a lower price.

You can basically call it a fact that any item that has a droprate will eventually hit the market, thus the price will eventually lower itself. And then items that the public doesn't know about won't hurt them. Can't want what's not available.
    Na, I agree. To me, these are no real problems, because after a couple of weeks, the prices will have self-adjusted. However, it might be a problem for some (I mean, look at Alaris' arguments; he worries about items that less than 1% of the playerbase will ever come into contact with, nevertheless, for him, it is an actual concern and it should be dealt with).

Quote Originally Posted by Khanisaurus View Post
    Alaris, you wanted to see a boss that really moves around here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDJX...feature=relmfu

Go to the 12:40 mark. They are fighting a wasp that moves all over the place.
    Wow man that entire clip... GW2 looks so boring. That's not to say that it is; many of the most fun and exciting games I've played look boring to someone who doesn't play them. But it looks - again, not saying it plays like it - like I dunno, so many other games of this type. If you showed me that clip and claimed it to be, like, the next version of Archlord or Everquest or something, I'd believe it.

I hope that the old expression of books and covers will turn out to be true.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    (I mean, look at Alaris' arguments; he worries about items that less than 1% of the playerbase will ever come into contact with, nevertheless, for him, it is an actual concern and it should be dealt with).
    It is not a concern for me, because I don't deal with these items. But it is important for those who do trade in those items. Unless the game has no super-rare items, this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Like I said, for the most part, traders serve the same purpose as the trade hall, except faster, more accurate, and more boring.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Wow man that entire clip... GW2 looks so boring. [...] If you showed me that clip and claimed it to be, like, the next version of Archlord or Everquest or something, I'd believe it.
    Try watching vids of people playing gw1 pve.

I did that once.

Never again.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    It is not a concern for me, because I don't deal with these items. But it is important for those who do trade in those items. Unless the game has no super-rare items, this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Like I said, for the most part, traders serve the same purpose as the trade hall, except faster, more accurate, and more boring.
    Yes! No. Not more boring. It's the same amount of boring, actually a little bit less boring since you don't need to scroll through a dozen identical listings.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Try watching vids of people playing gw1 pve.

I did that once.

Never again.
    You do have a point. GW1 PvE looks exceptionally boring.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    To each their own, jam, I find trading house fun to use. I do want a trader too for those times I don't want to spend time trading.
    == Alaris & clone ==

To each their own, jam, I find trading house fun to use. I do want a trader too for those times I don't want to spend time trading.
    The cool thing about trader houses is that it is basically the filter you always want to have on an auction house. The prices still fluctuate, the difference is that it's all easier to see. At the same time, you get the instant liquidation effect that does so much to help economy in the real world.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Yes, but an important aspect of trading that is lacking in traders is the ability to take advantage of the bell curve of prices, and trade off immediacy against time (and risk). I for example prefer to sell my items at a higher price and am willing to leave it in the trading house longer to achieve it. I will also in RL as in games wait longer in order to catch a good deal when it comes around.

Traders don't offer either of those options. The only trading skill that is rewarded is speculation. Patience and knowledge are otherwise not rewarded by traders.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Yes, but an important aspect of trading that is lacking in traders is the ability to take advantage of the bell curve of prices, and trade off immediacy against time (and risk). I for example prefer to sell my items at a higher price and am willing to leave it in the trading house longer to achieve it. I will also in RL as in games wait longer in order to catch a good deal when it comes around.

Traders don't offer either of those options. The only trading skill that is rewarded is speculation. Patience and knowledge are otherwise not rewarded by traders.
    Oh, that.

No, trader houses are for two types of players: Those who wants to play the market in a way that even remotely resembles efficiency, and those who wants to not care and just unload their loot before they go back to the real game.

Still, proxy-sale trader houses are a possibility, it's just that they are seen as weird by most (you can sell at your own price, but you won't get the money until the trader decides to buy at that price, which he will do when his buy price rises to that level).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It still removes your ability to buy low sell high, which rewards patience and knowledge of prices.

The way I see it, the trader charges for convenience, but if you choose to do it by hand (because you like it or because it's more efficient), you should be able to get on average better prices. As long as we're not forced to stay there, auctions can be quite fun.
    == Alaris & clone ==