PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Mesmer Resource Comment Thread

NOTE: This is the comment and discussion thread for the "Mesmer Resource Page". To view the actual thread go here.

Nice collection, thanks for posting!

LoL @ Polymorph; will have to see how this one works, would be better than Fear or Daze if it works "the way I'm thinking from Warcraft".

I like what they are doing with Illusion, this class is going to be annoying in PvP.
    Last edited by Thalanor Thornhale; 23-02-2012 at 15:44.

So am I the only one who has a hard time figuring out what the Mesmer actually does besides conjure illusions and jump around? I mean, there's very few weapon skills focused on conditions, boons or damage (direct or indirect) and illusions (particularly, clones) aren't particularly powerful. I'll admit, depending on the cooldown/cast on illu building skills and the shatters, just spreading confu, stunning and damaging could be it's central roles, but aside from those I'm not seeing a clear structure.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Mesmer looks to be the more "stealth" (combined all Mesmer like) side of the Assassin from GW1 over the Thief (damage side of the Assassin); the Mesmer being more of a finisher (?) with some party tricks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    So am I the only one who has a hard time figuring out what the Mesmer actually does besides conjure illusions and jump around? I mean, there's very few weapon skills focused on conditions, boons or damage (direct or indirect) and illusions (particularly, clones) aren't particularly powerful. I'll admit, depending on the cooldown/cast on illu building skills and the shatters, just spreading confu, stunning and damaging could be it's central roles, but aside from those I'm not seeing a clear structure.
    I don't disagree with you.

But I also think the skills reveiled so far a biased towards showing off the coolness of illusions in general. Hence, the skills revealed so far are biased in that direction, and fewer straight-forward skills are mentioned. Case in point: I just went back to the skill videos. It turns out that the Veil skill video shows off 2 more scepter-based skills: a purple laser beam and a purple projectile. But I have not seen an interview that talked about these videos.

Then, apart from those 15 sills revealed there are still 9 weapon-associated skills that we have not heard anything about. There might be something there.

Ultimately, we will have to jump in and see how this profession will play. I for one can't wait to try out the Mesmer.

(Just updated the first post to reflect these changes.)

First post has been updated with known Mesmer combos.

Question: What other combos can we infer for the mesmer based on what is known already?

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    90 potential skills... Seems a bit overwhelming.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    @Akirai: I think a lot of what the mesmer does is a combo of the actual skills, and the shatter. Skills may thus seem a bit weak by themselves because they are balanced with the shatter. To do dps for example, a mesmer would make the summons and illusions, and shatter them with the damage shatter just before they would die. But he can switch from dps to shutdown by picking a different shatter... kinda like the elementalist changing role by switching attunement.

@RDarken: less than 90 actually if you only count fully different weapons (above, sword+pistol & sword_focus would count as two, but there's not much point in bringing a main-hand sword twice). Also, I think picking weapons is pretty intuitive.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Definitely going to take some getting used to, but we'll get the hang of it. I like the intricacies/complexity of it. I tend to like classes where I need to use my brain.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I wasn't going to make a mesmer until I learned about all the summons. Yes, I do love my companions ;)

Like the thief, it'll be a game of hit & run, of deception, of outwitting your opponent. I do love that they have made a ranged version of the thief, because I didn't really care for the melee hit & run (well, I can still do it on ranger or engineer).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I got a completely different impression of the class than you. I don't have an exact picture of how it will work, based on what I've read, ranged hit and run doesn't seem like it to me (though it does seem like part of it). I feel like we're going to have a place in the fray, but will rely on evasion and illusions to stay alive.