PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Particle Effects - How much should something burn?

Watching through a lot of beta (pre-alpha as well) footage the impression that GW2 has a lot of "screen bling" has set in. I was recently reminded of these when Totalbiscuit mentioned it in one of his Guardian videos; directed when a boar boss is set on fire - and decided to post it up for discussion.

Know I like pixel eye candy as much as the next, but there are times I look at game play, especially in the Ascalon dungeons and think, am I going to develop epilepsy from this? A far reaching example there, but I think too much graphical stimulation can have the chance of confusing the player in the least.

I understand where ANet is going with it though, representing the visceral and mobile, quick acting play style of GW2; and to help the player dodge, sometimes the nudging prod is needed of a gassed up Indiana Jones boulder rocketing towards them. But is there a line?

I agree with Totalbiscuit, and wouldn't mind seeing some effects tapered a bit. What are your thoughts?

Or win win for everyone's preference, to have the ability to taper these effects down through your settings.

edit: and of course, this is still beta ;)
    Last edited by Смерть; 23-02-2012 at 10:27.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Make a slider?

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    I am pretty sure I read an official statement that there is an "intelligent adjustment" in the game, so that if you have a LOT of ppl on the screen at a time, the visual effects are toned down dynamically and if you are going solo you get all the bells and whistles. Could be that this system is not fully function in beta yet?
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I have not heard about that, interesting .

yeah I noticed that too.. I know Anet wants skills to be visual and all, but when 2 elementalists and a mesmer are attacking an enemy, its engulfed in this unholy cloud of particles. It makes my eyes hurt watching it. I hope they add a slider or tone it down.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Speaking of that, I saw all the red and white circles on the floor, now my undertstanding was red=bad and white= good. I would appreciate a more clear indication of what specific white circles do though, as of now there are a bunch of em overlapping without any real clue as to what they do (at least not to me).

From what I've seen, I'd like the effects toned down a lot, but then again, it depends on how it feels in-game.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Intelligent adjustment is nice, but they should still make a slider. You should be able to adjust how much you want in solo and in large battles, or at least if you want more or less than the intelligent adjustment sets.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member
    I must say that I really didn't notice the particle effects until TotalBiscuit called attention to them. I do see his point about the Burning though. They were so pronounced that it really did look odd. I wonder if the size of the effect was scaled to the size of the creature. That would explain the extra large flames on the Champion Dire Boar (really big pig!)

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I always thought they did a fantastic job with the scale of spell effects in GW1. There were there and for the most part very noticeable but it never beat you over the head. I'd def like them toned down in the sequel. With anything more then a couple people on screen it just gets too chaotic and visually unintelligible.