PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Complete Thief Overhaul

I've been doing a lot of looking into on the Thief since the press beta. Originally, Thief was probably going to be my main. It seems the Thief has been completely overhauled away from what they originally stated him as being the "master of stealth." Now, it seems as though he's just the class that uses stealth the most but can only use it for 3 seconds at a time. They've removed several stealth kills, including an elite skill. These changes have made my main profession choice much easier as they removed what, to me, seems like the most fun part of the class. No more sneaking around in WvWvW, it seems. Thoughts?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If stealth lasts too long, it's easy to abuse it, especially in WvW.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Agreed. They have changed the class to the point of where they used to be able to ambush in stealth and now they can only really disappear for 3 seconds here and there.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, infinite stealth is nice for lulz, but honestly, that wouldn't be why I'd be playing thief. It's like playing assassin for permaform, or paragon for ursan... you're playing for the OP not the actual point of the class.

Being stealthy imo is meant for sneak attacks, for getting out of trouble, and for hit & runs. You'll be able to do all that just fine even with 3s stealth, in fact, you can do that with dodge and movement and without any stealth at all.

If you still want to do the whole stealth lulz thing though, you still can afaik by stealthing from one hiding spot to another. If they don't see you and there's no radar, then you're laughing. I don't remember if there's a radar in WvW.
    == Alaris & clone ==

I'm definitely not saying that infinite stealth is a good thing. I just think that it'll be harder to utilize stealth unless you're already in combat. The one good thing I did notice, is that there are 2 skills for location-targeted shadow steps...the utility skill Shadow Step and the shortbow skill Infiltrator's Arrow. Like you said, you can "stealth" from one spot to the next, by shadow stepping. There is only one stealth skill that doesn't require you to attack an enemy to gain stealth, and that's Hide in Shadows. The others either require you to attack an enemy first, create an AoE of stealth (visible to at least allies, and doesn't move), or use Shadow Trap (which doesn't state the stealth duration, who knows...this could've been removed from the game as the skill hasn't been updated). I think the in-combat stealth options are very good, but I wish there were more out of combat stealth options. Especially...

"Stealth skills — while in stealth, the first weapon skill of the thief's skill bar is replaced by a special skill only usable while stealthed."
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thie...al_skill_types
    Last edited by Xilisys; 23-02-2012 at 20:36.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Perma stealth is not fun at all.

3 seconds is a decent amount of stealth without it being overpowered.

The longer the stealth, the softer you hit. It has to balance out somehow.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The problem with long stealth is it being used for other purposes than combat. You can't just balance it with softer hits.
    == Alaris & clone ==

I'm not asking for a 30 second or 1 minute stealth. I'm just saying like 6-8 seconds would be a little more time to setup ambushes, etc. Who knows, maybe 3 seconds is plenty of time to do something crazy. I have a feeling that the Thief will be hard to catch in PvP/WvW.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Let's put it this way, if a 2 second casting time in GW is long enough to get you killed, I would surely hope that 3 seconds is long enough to ambush an enemy. If it's not, I'm sure Anet would look into adding a few extra seconds. If the thief is anything like I imagine, it'll go more along the lines of stealth in, strike, shadow step out. If that is true, than 3 seconds SHOULD be plenty of time.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If I played thief, I would hide somewhere, stealth in, spike, and then use movement. I would only really switch back to stealth if I needed to regen. I think combat-wise, using movement and shutdown would probably work better after the initial strike.
    == Alaris & clone ==