PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question: Where are my Elementalist summons?

Hi Everyone...

I'll put the thread perspective first...I'm someone who loses patiance with PUGs because rage quits and leadership issues....Guilds are fine but still the path of play is predecided mostly and really can't adventure too much....hence im someone you can term as a soloist.

GW1 is my first MMORPG and from the start i went for henchies from the get go...with the addition of heros it got only better and everything is GW1 was oh so easy...even HM.

GW2 was announced and i started drooling over the intracicies of heros/hences and dual professions and wha not...then came 1-by-1 by news which can only be termed as BUMMER..No heros...no hench..no dual professions.... 'You neven firght alone!!!'...yeah right!!!

GW2 footage started coming out ..... and although you are with a lot of peaople ur still doing your own solo things....it feels a bit lonely to me as compared to GW1

So by this time you know that ....surprise surprise....i want (and love) companions...but not just any...I need them to be at my beck and call...problem is which races and professions offer the balance i seek, in order for that race/profession combination to have balance with respect to companionship?

From the profession revealed Rangers, Mesmers and Necros comply to this requirement. Clones, phantasms, pets and minnion are enough for them and any race spefici skills will be an added bonus but not really required.

Engineers and guardians with weapon summon, turrents and mines, to an extend, have atleast something.

Thief & Warrior are professions i'm really not interested at all.

That leave elementalists ....In the pres beta Elementalists have also been shown to posses glyphs as profession summon skills, like elemental normal & elite elemental glyphs.

I havn't seen nay race skills being used in beta and it'll probably be a surprise left for launch.

so...question is....do i make a human elementalist with at least HOUNDS OF BALTHAZAR so that i can have three possible companions if i wanted to?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Not interested in warrior or thief either, and seems every profession has something to offer me. I expect racial skills to also provide some summons for all races, but not that I think even eles have summons I am not worried about it. I'll be figuring my final lineup fairly soon.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Ah, that's actually a good question, I was afraid this was going to turn into a rant but you avoided that so thanks. As for racial skills, keep in mind that you won't be getting those until at least lvl 35, but probably quite a bit higher than that (anet said they were high lvl skills). Hounds of balthazar will probably be one of the better racial skills for you though when you do get that high.

Necro minion wall ftw though, am I right? Loved seeing yogscast cover the necro profession. When Lewis summoned all his minions I think Simon's jaw dropped.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Well, Glyph of Lesser Elementals summons an Elemental that will stay for 60sec with a 45sec recharge. You can keep a constant companion this way, similar to the Asura Summons in GW1. With the Quick Glyph trait, you can use the skill about every 35 seconds, which enables you to have two Elementals up (unless they cancel out each other), even from different attunements.
    That sounds better than the Guardian's spirit weapons in terms of "never fight alone" and more mobile than the Engineer's turrets, which are more powerful, but have to be carried around to a new spot, whereas the Elemental most likely will follow you.

The Mesmer isn't limited to the utility skills like the Ele, Guardian or Engineer and has a lot of Illusions ready, even for underwater combat.

We will have to see how many advantages the "summons" will have (& wait for a balance).
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Basically, this is what I expect:

Necro is master of zerg. These pets are numerous, lasting, and mobile.

Mesmer is master of short-term zerg. The zerg dies fast but are easy to re-summon. And you pretty much have to in order to be effective. They are not traditional pets in that they don't follow you.

Engineer is master of stationary zerg (especially if you count mines).

Ranger is master of OPed single pet.

Ele's per is likely a bonus rather than a full-fledged pet. You can probably have more than one (esp if you take regular and elite), but you'd probably need to support more to keep it alive if it gets under fire. More solid than mesmer's, but much less so than ranger's.

Guardian's weapons are actually more like hexes that can change target. They cannot get hit, and thus lack the protective power of minions.

I expect racial minions to be on-par with the ele's or mesmer's... relatively weak on their own but still a good addition.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'll be figuring my final lineup fairly soon.
    well mine is ALMOST finalized and is below.. Guardian and engineer race is still a bit iffy

1. Norn female mesmer tailor artificers
    2. sylvari male necromancer weaponsmith jeweler
    3. Human male elementalist huntsman cook
    4. Norn male guardian armorsmith leatherworker
    5. Slyvari female engineer
    6. Asura male ranger
    7. Human female thief
    8. Charr male warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, you can indeed summon multiple elementals as an ele, you can see it in some of the beta videos.
    Last edited by Gorani; 05-03-2012 at 14:58. Reason: removed innuendo & off topic reply

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I did see the occasional fire bird, I'd love to see more on elemental summons. So far in theory you can have two at a time, one elite one normal, which is likely going to be on my build most of the time.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    By the way, you can indeed summon multiple elementals as an ele, you can see it in some of the beta videos.
    I did see the occasional fire bird, I'd love to see more on elemental summons. So far in theory you can have two at a time, one elite one normal, which is likely going to be on my build most of the time.
    Are you sure the "fire bird" isn't the effect of the Phoenix skill?
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

No You can have more ... seen it In the yogscast video, i think,

the player summoned two elementals with the same skill one fire and other water by quickly changing attunement.. dunno if you can summon more by using the same skill with another attunent change.

but i would suppose an elite summon should add a third and hopefully hounds of balthazar can make it four summons...whopeeee!

sounds a bit over powered; but who cares!

Sent using Tapatalk