PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    As of right now, I am planning on keeping a ranged weapon in my rotation (probably Longbow) - just in case. Kind of wish we had three weapon sets so I could have damage, defensive, and ranged.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Agreed RDarken.

I'll experiment with all weapons, but I do like ranged combat generally. But I like changing playstyle more, so I'll generally carry very different weapons, e.g. ranged+melee.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I actually don't really like ranged, but I like having it at my disposal when I need it (if I'm rooted or slowed or the enemy hits a speed buff): FWIP FWIP won't stop me!

GWOnline.Net Member
    Well I just browsed through some more beta vids, and from what I've seen thus far, it would appear that the Warriors ranged capabilities super seed the Guardian, at least in single target and consistent DPS. But we can agree that both classes have ranged and melee capabilities, depending on how one decides to invest skill points.

Lets talk a little about healing.

so, all classes in Guild Wars 2 have a heal. Which really stood out to me, because like I think I mentioned earlier, a big draw back for me in other games to play "Warrior" classes was the absence of self healing, therefore I would always tend to play more of a "Hybrid" class. But with the Warriors ability to self heal in GW2, this might change my feelings towards playing the class.

Warriors get the choice between; "Healing Surge" (heal yourself and build adrenaline) (30s CD), "Healing Signet" (gain regeneration) (passive) and "Mending" (heal yourself and remove a condition) (20s CD).

Vs.

Guardians; "Healing Breeze" (heal yourself and allies with a healing breeze) (30s CD), "Shelter" (block attacks while healing) (45s CD) and "Signet of Resolve" (loose a condition every 10 seconds) (passive).

After watching some videos and trying to get an idea for some of these skills, mainly "Healing Surge" and "Shelter" were the ones I saw used, it seems to me that both these 2 self healing abilities heal for around the same amount, about 1/3 the players health pool. But with the Warriors "Healing Surge" being on 15s CD shorter then the Guardians "Shelter", I believe the Warrior would have superior self healing.

However, the Warrior is unable to heal his allies in times of need, making the Guardians heals superior in a group dynamic. This is of course assuming they choose "Healing Breeze", which seems like it would be the best choice to me because the Warrior's self only heal is superior and this is what could make the guardian more useful in many cases. (imo)

I'm just trying to do some theory crafting on which class I would like to invest my time into. The great thing about Guild War 2 is it will allow me to play both these professions in all skill sets and weapon combos to see which class I enjoy the most, and ultimately this is how I will make my decision. But for the time being this is just as I said, some theory craft.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I'd offer more input, but you're from NJ, so the laws of our states prohibit my helping you or even really being nice to you. Kidding, of course.

One thing to note, Healing Signet grants regeneration passively, but it also may be used to restore HP. Presumably, this will knock the regeneration off while it is on CD. Otherwise, yeah, you're pretty much spot-on. That's sort of what I was getting at before, as far as the inherent differences in classes. I plan to spec support with my warrior, but I won't be able to heal others.
    If I'm not mistaken, only 2-3 professions have the ability to heal others. That was one of the things ANet intentionally crippled coming from GW1.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    When theorycrafting, you need to consider the sum total. The guardian needs less healing because he already has 2 virtues to reduce damage and to heal, in addition to his heal (plus whatever heal skills he has on weapon or utility). The warrior by comparison only has his self-heal, so naturally it should be stronger.

I'm not sure what vids you have seen to say that warrior is better at ranged than guardian. I'd like to see that.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I'd offer more input, but you're from NJ, so the laws of our states prohibit my helping you or even really being nice to you. Kidding, of course.
    New Jersey! What! lol I'm from New Brunswick, in that little country to the north called Canada, I mean its only the 2nd largest country in the world, so it's kind of easy to miss. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    When theorycrafting, you need to consider the sum total. The guardian needs less healing because he already has 2 virtues to reduce damage and to heal, in addition to his heal (plus whatever heal skills he has on weapon or utility). The warrior by comparison only has his self-heal, so naturally it should be stronger.

I'm not sure what vids you have seen to say that warrior is better at ranged than guardian. I'd like to see that.
    That's true, the Guardian would have greater passive healing, and maybe even some healing from his weapon set. But I think choosing a weapon like a mace may cripple the Guardians offensive capabilities a bit. You also need to factor in, that the Warrior can take more inherent damage, absent of skills, simply due to his higher base health pool.

I gathered that a Warrior using a gun seemed to be superior single target DPS when compared to a Guardian using a scepter or staff while watching the "Yogscast" videos on youtube. I could be wrong, it just seemed that way to me.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
    absent of skills, simply due to his higher base health pool
    True. But the guardian can take more damage over time, absent of skills, if you only count the virtues which are built-in.

I'm not trying to argue, rather, I'm trying to make two points: (1) when discussing one aspect (e.g. survivability), you need to include everything that contributes to it (e.g. health pool, regeneration, heal skill), and

(2) ANet doesn't have a history of making really unbalanced professions... the warrior is about as good as the dervish in GW1, and they both have about equal survivability and damage potential. They do so differently, the warrior has higher armor plus a shield plus some skills that boosts his health pool temporarily, the dervish has higher regeneration and self-heal for example. Similar to what we see here.

tl;dr: we really don't know enough to guess at this point, and even players who have tried GW2 don't have enough experience to really tell. My bet is that ANet wants these two professions to feel different but to have the same damage & survival potential if specced appropriately. That's just a hunch though. Looking at the skills and specs though, it really could go either way depending on how it's balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
    watching the "Yogscast" videos on youtube
    Link pls!
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Oh, there's a pretty big city in NJ called New Brunswick, too lol

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Link pls!
    Guardian Overview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPRmF...2&feature=plcp

Part 1 of 3 of this guy playing a Charr Warrior. Rifle seemed more effective.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-gv...8&feature=plcp

Once they post a Warrior spotlight, it will be more apparent I imagine.