PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kony 2012

Hybrid View

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    1 year registered6 months registered1000 Experience Points

Kony 2012

By now people should know this thing is everywhere. When I first saw the video, I was pretty amazed and felt like I need to do something too. Joseph Kony is a war criminal who we certainly have to stop, and get him aware to everyone on this planet helps. So using our advance social network, a new way to communicate with people, I followed the guidelines like everyone did and shared this on Facebook and Twitter. Then after a couple min, some of my friends giving comments said I got misled by the video, telling me to do a bit of research before supporting the cause. I wonder why.

So is Invisible Children actually a bad organization?

*Note: if you haven't seen the video, you should be able to see it on youtube's frontpage. I still recommend to check it out 'cause it's very touching, but do so in viewers discretion.
    Last edited by Kuma Hobby; 08-03-2012 at 07:16.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    I'm sick of my FB drones lapping this kony **** up.

Read this:
    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble

And this was also noteworthy absurdity:
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    I'm sick of my FB friends lapping EVERY bandwagon up.

This is one of those situations where white people decided it was time to care about something, so now we're all focused on one problem, which has been going on for years, and it's more about marketing than it is about caring.

In any event, the guy is obviously a monster. But I've read about the Invisible Children debacle and I've also read counter-points that we're basically encouraging the government to start another war at this point, while we've only been out of Iraq for three months and are teetering on a war with Iran. Plus, I read that Uganda may have a crapton of oil. If that's true, gee I wonder why the government suddenly cares.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post

Read this:
    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble
    In the interest of fairness, Invisible Children officially responded to that.

I haven't even watched the video yet, but wanted to hear the response to such strongly-worded criticism.

Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Real tired of hearing about this bull**** everywhere. There's loads of charity organizations around the world. Why this one deserves so much more attention I can't fathom.

So the Invisible Children group is basically supporting a regime that is probably just as terrible as the guy they want dead? If that whole article that Shawn linked is true, that is pretty awful. But I find it more scary that there seems to be this highly organised media machine behind all this, promoting a military intervention. Military intervention means a lot of people getting slaughtered, and a lot of women being r*ped, its pretty clear from the past that that is how a war in Uganda works. The Invisible Children group to me, seems more concerned about the goal, than about how that goal is reached. The medicine in this case might be just as bad as the affliction it is supposed to cure. I'm not very well read on this subject, I have to admit. But this organisation seems to think a little bit too easy about the concept of a military intervention. The problem is complex, and thus I think people shouldn't oversimplify the supposed cure.

1 year registered6 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    So the Invisible Children group is basically supporting a regime that is probably just as terrible as the guy they want dead? If that whole article that Shawn linked is true, that is pretty awful. But I find it more scary that there seems to be this highly organised media machine behind all this, promoting a military intervention...The Invisible Children group to me, seems more concerned about the goal, than about how that goal is reached.
    Yeah, I was almost 100% buying into this sh*t until I looked through various sources. So I donate my money and 70% of them goes to fund the film production and their traveling fees instead of going toward direct military intervention? That's just lame.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    you can make him popular to let the world know but he is always on places where the media doesn't reach, so how are you suppose to locate and solve the problem if only places with true media can know......
    i always say, don't wait out a problem and hope for help, take action.

what they do is make him known but it doesn't do anything other then that ppl are aware of him, i would like it more if they really used some kind of satellite tech to locate him and take him down right there.
    an army will only make fights, a small covert team who know where he is is allot more effective.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Scammers gotta scam. Most NGOs are pretty much admin fees to the max and are unregulated to the extreme.

There are plenty of great ones - but the majority (From what I've seen) are pension pots.

-Art

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wow, that is a pretty throughout response.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about