PC Gaming News

Poll: Which gender will your first character have?

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Wolf View Post
    I really want to play the Kodan. I hope they become a playable race in a future expansion.
    It certainly seems like they're being set up to, doesn't it? Also, His Dark Materials? Most awesome series ever?

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    I'm male and going to play male. I made a female warrior in GW1 because I did not like the look of male warriors. I might make a female asura or sylvari though, since that won't make me look and feel like a freak as much (a)

Server

Yak's Bend
    Guild

W A Space
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    It certainly seems like they're being set up to, doesn't it? Also, His Dark Materials? Most awesome series ever?
    YES!!! Love that I'm not the only one who thought of the Savalbjorn. I love those books! I do think the kodan will be playable, or at least have a greater plot significance at a later time, as they have a large amount of lore compared to other minor races.

And then there's this......
    Spoiler

Male, cause im male to!:O

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I wonder if these numbers hold up across MMOs... 60% of male respondents play female characters. 80% of female respondents play female characters.

I mostly play male unless I don't like the look. For example, my Norn will be female since I don't like the no neck look of the male.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I wonder if these numbers hold up across MMOs... 60% of male respondents play female characters. 80% of female respondents play female characters.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all. Though I think that in some games the number of female players with female characters may be less than 80% simply due to harassment (meaning the female player will make a male character simply to avoid any unwanted advances or innuendo).

The ratio would also probably depend on the type of game. Warcraft, for example, has different servers to suit different purposes, including roleplaying servers. Wildly speculating with no actual data to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a closer alignment between gender of the player and gender of the character on roleplaying servers. For RP you're pretending to be that character, and it's generally easier if you can have something in common with them. Of course there will be differences due to real world versus game history and things like shooting fireballs from your fingertips, but I imagine that a male player would generally be more comfortable roleplaying as a male character.

I do find it funny how agitated people can get about the subject, though. Not referring to anything in this thread, but on other forums I have seen people accuse players of being perverted deviants for having characters that didn't match their gender. Among other absurdities. But I ramble.

I have no intention to make any male characters for Guild Wars 2. But I may change my mind later.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to find a closer alignment between gender of the player and gender of the character on roleplaying servers.
    I roleplayed a female character on RP servers in WoW. I know, so many stereotypes. Go ahead and have fun, I am immune to your ridicule.

Seriously though, one point of playing a fantasy game is to be able to do stuff you can't in RL. That means for me that I generally don't play my gender, my race, and often not even my personality.

I tried to play male characters, but it rarely works. I made a WoW male cow for example, but all I could see was a hairy back. The head was hunched so I didn't see it, and the body was occluding everything that was in front of it. I like the character during creation, but it was terrible during gameplay. So I rerolled female.

I'm also not a fan of bulky no-necks, and a fan of slender agile looks. I find they rarely manage to capture that in males.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    You'll get no ridicule from me. Not only did I play on roleplaying servers on WoW (unfortunately long after getting a few characters to max level on a normal PvE server, I should have started on an RP server, the people were a lot nicer all around), but I also had mostly female characters. I am not actually a role player, but did come up with decent back stories for most of my characters so that I could decently interact with random roleplayers if I walked past on the street. And many of those characters had personalities that were nothing like my own.

I never thought it odd to consider the idea of roleplaying a gender that you are not in real life. But I do think that it would be overall more common to play your own gender rather than the opposite. I may be wrong on this, after all it's still wild speculation.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm also not a fan of bulky no-necks, and a fan of slender agile looks. I find they rarely manage to capture that in males.
    None of the male models in GW were bulk no-necks in my opinion. The same is mostly true in GW 2 (excluding Norn, of course - and even then, some models aren't too bad *points at Bal*). I don't really get the Tauren argument since you'd still be staring at the back of a hairy Tauren neck with a hunched head.

Clearly you're into furries.