PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Discontinuing support for older versions of Windows

Hi,

We just posted the following news on the GW website: http://guildwars.com/players/

Since the launch of Guild Wars in 2005 we’ve stayed locked into our original minimum system requirements. Unfortunately, the game has reached a point where this is preventing us from deploying important features. After serious consideration, we’ve decided that Guild Wars will no longer be supported on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME beginning June 14, 2012. In order to continue to play Guild Wars after this date, we recommend upgrading to a more recent version of Windows.

Realistically, we do not expect this to impact the vast majority of Guild Wars players. Our logs indicate that fewer than 0.05% of our active players use one of these versions of Windows. Discontinuing support for older versions of Windows allows us to deploy features that will improve account management and security.

We will be updating the System Requirements on our websites, but we wanted to provide an advance notice to you so that you can prepare for the change. If you have any questions, please visit the Guild Wars Support Forums: https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/fo...ns-of-Windows/

Thanks.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Thanks for the heads up!

And I wonder about that 0.05%... I thought about everybody would have left those OS's behind...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Oh, what changes will be coming to Guild Wars then??

And here I thought it was at the end of its cycle.

-Art

Playing Guild Wars on windows 95 is that even possible??

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i would've expected ppl to at least use XP or an equivalent OS, i am not happy about huge changes in an OS but XP gives plenty of advances.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    TBH, I didn't even know that GW was supported on those platforms at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    And I wonder about that 0.05%... I thought about everybody would have left those OS's behind...
    There are people who likes to stick with one system they are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowJT View Post
    Playing Guild Wars on windows 95 is that even possible??
    I think the computer I used for the beta was 95 or 98....wish I could remember! So long ago!

Thank you for the news Sephane.
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Well, I ran GW on Wine faking "Widows 98" for a long time, even though my actual computer is quite new. No particular reason beyond it being a supported OS on the original box. Nowadays it is faking "Windows XP". So I guess people like me could account for a part of that 0.05%
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by satomz View Post
    TBH, I didn't even know that GW was supported on those platforms at all.

There are people who likes to stick with one system they are used to.
    I'm actually one of those, but even I have been using XP for a long time now! (only got XP once there was a SP2...)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Goodbye my sweet sweet Sim Ant. *kiss*