PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The thing is, there was an interview a long time ago where scepter was stated to be close range, daggers to be mid range, and staves to be long range. I remember because a lot of people were surprised that daggers weren't close range.

However, I think they swapped the scepter and dagger ranges around as from the skills I'm seeing, dagger is close and scepter is medium. For some reason though, the wiki doesn't list ranges for eles from what I can see, and I don't watch vids at work.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    However, I think they swapped the scepter and dagger ranges around as from the skills I'm seeing, dagger is close and scepter is medium. For some reason though, the wiki doesn't list ranges for eles from what I can see, and I don't watch vids at work.
    I've taken a look at that yogcast Ele skill run down again and it looks like daggers have the shortest range skills, although e.g. Vapor Blade travels further away from you as e.g the range of Lightning Whip is a lot shorter. Daggers also have no ground cast AoE attacks, just PBAoE stuff.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Yeah, I'll probably be using scepter/staff the most on my ele, though I'm planning on trying every weapon set on each of my characters. After all, (and this actually pertains to the OP if he's still around) you get extra xp per day when you use a variety of weapon sets. Should be easy to get that extra xp on warriors because their schtick is basically that they're weapon masters. There's quite a few weapon sets that they don't get, but they get more than anyone else. Actually a thread that got necroed has a good list of how many weapon skills each class gets (though it's a bit outdated so it doesn't have the engineer or mesmer on the first page).

GW2-professions-some-maths

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Updated the first post while at it.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Updated the first post while at it.
    Cool, always good to have that kinda info around. Heh, it also helped me, because I thought that engineers could swap between two sets like most professions.
    Last edited by djacob; 22-03-2012 at 05:16.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    Cool, always good to have that kinda info around. Heh, it also helped me, because I thought that engineers could swap between two sets like most professions.
    Nope.

So an engineer without kits has very little choices in weaponry: only 3 weapons to pick from, and no weapon swap. I think kit-less engineer can get boring quick because of that.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Yeah, it makes me wonder just how well a turret engineer could do, if they fill up their entire utility skill slots with them. That's kind of the way I wanted to play one, but I'm thinking it won't work great without at least one kit now.

Everyone always comments that it's not the class, it's the player and while this is technically true not every player will be as good with every class. Thus one class may actually be more OP for YOU.

Watch the video below. You'll notice Simon (I think that's Simon) is a warrior and not very successful. He should have stayed back a bit in the huge siege and picked off targets. I've not played the game, so I don't know what he could have done right against the rogue, but in the hands of a skilled player a warrior could probably dominate a rogue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyMRoB8Xff8

EQ1 had it right in labelling the difficulty of classes. In a siege, I imagine a warrior will be much more difficult to play than a ranged class for obvious reasons. But in a tight, BG game, a warrior could close quickly and dominate single opponents easier.

There have been some advances in MMOs that improved large scale PvP, but it appears the warrior in GW2 lacks them. WAR and WoW have their death grip abilities to grab opponents from the back of a line to them. Dragon's Nest (not large scale) had a ton of charges and stuns. Again, I'm unable to make an educated guess, but from videos it seems a warrior is more difficult to play in large scale while ranged is not. That's unfortunate because I actually prefer a warrior, but doubt I have the skills to survive a zerg-nukefest.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    In WvW, I would not venture without a ranged weapon, even as a warrior.

As for relative difficulty, I think it's less of a problem with classes being less tied to a given role.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    In WvW, I would not venture without a ranged weapon, even as a warrior.

As for relative difficulty, I think it's less of a problem with classes being less tied to a given role.
    So in a large scale WvW battle a melee class like a rogue or warrior must use their ranged weapons or else they're squished. Will their ranged abilities function as well as a range oriented class? I understand every class can do everything, but it would only make sense if a class whose primary role is ranged dps would outperform a close range oriented class. Thus in that zerg-nuke-fest a ranged class > melee with a ranged weapon.

By the way, as the internet is filled with instigating trolls you may assume I'm one of them, but I'm not. I am honestly curious, suspicious of class balance, and can't WAIT to play this weekend.