PC Gaming News
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Just add a fourth option besides Red, Blue and Green where you tell God to go **** himself and you (and the rest of the galaxy) go down fighting. Finish that with a cut-scene where several thousand years later some new alien race finds one of the time-capsules explaining everything and giving them a better chance to end the cycle. And voilą, you have a better ending than anything Casey Hudson came up with.

There are so many things wrong with the literal Deus Ex Machina we meet at the end but what I really can't understand is why Shepard would simply accept the choices he's given. This God we meet makes Hitler look sane, sound of mind and charming by comparison.

I mean when God gives you this kind of logic it is time to become an atheist.

Also... artistic integrity

I have noticed that Bioware is remarkably quiet regarding the indoctrination theory that some fans came up with. It would probably harm Bioware's image to come out clean and say, look, the fans are creative with their interpretation and all, but that is really not what we meant. The ending is just what it is.

I think a lot of fans want to believe that the ending is a lot less sh*tty than it really is.

EDIT:

Bioware has announced that the DLC will basically just expand on the ending we hate, and not change anything. There will be no boss battle, no change to what was already in the game, just a few extra scenes and dialogue that will probably not fix any of the plot holes.

Angry Joe had a nice rant about it: http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/04/mass...lc-discussion/

And he's probably right. This will probably disprove the indoctrination theory. It now seems extremely likely that when Bioware had to decide on the ending, some producer came in and made the decission for them (as often happens in the game industry), so they could continue the franchise and make more money. I'm pretty sure none of the Bioware team were happy with it, but someone from higher up simply forced it down their throats.

I find it impossible to believe that the writers of Mass Effect, who have done such a good job with all the previous games, would willingly write such a bad ending to end the franchise. It was probably some sort of executive decission. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this. This is going to leak eventually.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 08-04-2012 at 13:16.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    when you have this and have something allot better like this before they stepped in, all you can expect is this
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    It now seems extremely likely that when Bioware had to decide on the ending, some producer came in and made the decission for them (as often happens in the game industry), so they could continue the franchise and make more money. I'm pretty sure none of the Bioware team were happy with it, but someone from higher up simply forced it down their throats.

I find it impossible to believe that the writers of Mass Effect, who have done such a good job with all the previous games, would willingly write such a bad ending to end the franchise. It was probably some sort of executive decission. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this. This is going to leak eventually.
    Patrick Weekes had a post on the penny arcade forums (I think)... long story short he blamed Casey Hudson who felt he didn't need to pass the ending by the whole writing team like everything else before that.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/03/2...-stays-silent/

Bioware has announced that the DLC will basically just expand on the ending we hate, and not change anything. There will be no boss battle, no change to what was already in the game, just a few extra scenes and dialogue that will probably not fix any of the plot holes.
    The plot holes people love to point out really aren't.

I will give you the Catalyst thing as being stupid, but the two major points: THE REAPERS ARE SYNTHETIC and THE MASS RELAYS SHOULD BLOW UP are both wrong-o. The Reapers are Synthetic/Organic hybrids, this was the entire point of ME2. And the relays only blow up when smashed into by a giant rock, it makes perfect sense that the thing who built the relays would know how to deactivate them without causing them to explode. Especially since you see them discharge the entire core before breaking to pieces, which is a hell of a lot different than smashing an asteroid into it.

Really the only thing I hated about the ending was that your decisions didn't matter. And I believe that will be the focus of the DLC, to explain the impact of everything you did, which is exactly what I want.

It now seems extremely likely that when Bioware had to decide on the ending, some producer came in and made the decission for them (as often happens in the game industry), so they could continue the franchise and make more money.
    No comment on the rest of this, but how does the ending allow for continuing the franchise when they already said that any future game in the ME universe will take place before the ending?

Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    they were talking about a ME MMO, don't ask me how and when it starts but they did talked about making one.
    all i can think of is that they want Shepard as idol and make him/her a legend in the MMO for your character, everything is new and things that happened before are now foot holders to make the game more interesting and to have some kind of history as in how and why the galaxy is this way.

again, this is all my best guess.

sorudo.9054

Quote Originally Posted by Zayren View Post
    The plot holes people love to point out really aren't.
    Those are not the plot holes most people point out. The plot holes most people talk about are:

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by The Praetorian View Post
    Patrick Weekes had a post on the penny arcade forums (I think)... long story short he blamed Casey Hudson who felt he didn't need to pass the ending by the whole writing team like everything else before that.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/03/2...-stays-silent/
    Well then it is exactly like I suspected. Some colleagues from the game industry also guessed that it was probably a decission from some producer, and the rest of the team was excluded from it all. Yes, this hits a bit close to home. Anyone who has ever worked in the game industry will probably recognise this a little.

It really is a pity, because Bioware has such a talented and dedicated team.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 08-04-2012 at 22:44.

* Why would the Mass Relays be destroyed anyway, regardless of what ending you choose?
    Also, it has been established that an exploding Mass Relay wipes out the entire system it's in. Meaning that by destroying the Relays you essentially do what the Reapers set out to do in the first place, kill everyone.

Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i am more wondering why earth was hit first, there are so many places they could hit first but earth is attacked the first and is all of a sudden the center of the problem trough out the galaxy.
    life is life, non-human doesn't mean it's less important.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Shepard, the dude/dudette that has stopped the Reaper's plans twice is human, so they chose them as their material for new Reapers.