PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Theorycraft: The Shatterer

Type: Damage (Spiker)
    Profession: Mesmer
    Focus: PVP

The Gist
    The idea is simple -- let's capitalise and maximise the mesmer's core ability to shatter his illusions. To do that we need to accomplish three goals, building on each other. First spawn as many illusions as possible, then shatter them often and for maximum effect, and at last stay alive long enough to get our combo rolling.
    The build is 30 Illusions / 20 Dueling / 20 Domination, using Scepter/Torch main and Greatsword second. I'll keep it brief here and kindly redirect you to the full version with detailed explanations on our website.
    A bit of cross-posting here, but hoping to spark some discussion to breath some life into this forum again.

schoklat,

I like the thougght you put into your build. I thought about something similar as well!.

On the website, you are linking to, is that a guild site or more general site?

Oh and since this is the first time I ran into your post, welcome to the mesmer section of gwo. I look forward to many intersting profession discussions.

Glad you like it.

The ParadoX is a bit of both. It's both our guild site and for more general news and insights.
    Why, that's strange, you might ask...
    * We always found we wanted to keep our guild mates up to date when we found some news, but yet it wasn't worth it to make a full post for like 15 or 20 people. Now the site is up for everyone to make it his or her home and stay up to date with our help.
    * We really like to analyse things (as you see in the articles section), but official forums often make it difficult due the limitations of BB posts and the pointless flaming and trolling going on. Moving things to our own site makes sure we can have fruitful and productive discussions.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Sounds like how I'd play my mesmer (more or less). I see shattering clones as a big component of playing a mesmer.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Sounds like how I'd play my mesmer (more or less). I see shattering clones as a big component of playing a mesmer.
    I agree, the temptation is for people to treat clones like necro minions, but the reality is that they should be viewed more from the old minion bomber play style. I also suspect the vast majority will be great sword wielders for the purple lazers of death effect, but if you look at the skills a sceptre and off hand is actually more effective.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I never did play the minion bomber build. Too much micro'ing. Please do tell about how that gameplay was like.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Minion bomber was fire-and-forget. You enchant them and off they go. Clone shattering should be more controlled, allowing possible coordination with your teammates in PvP. The question I have is how well clones react to mobile gameplay. Would this build work if the enemy is constantly moving and repositioning?

-T

Sorry, somehow missed your question.

Yes, in we can see in multiple press beta videos that clones indeed chase down their respective targets when a shatter skill is activated. Melee illusions hence shatter immediately, while ranged create a delayed effect due the time it takes them to close the distance. Sometimes it may not be desirable, but this also opens the opportunity to have some nice, staggered damage.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Not bad. Sounds like a controlled minion bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I never did play the minion bomber build. Too much micro'ing. Please do tell about how that gameplay was like.
    Its actually very funny to play. In case you want to try:

1) Summon Bone Minion
    2) Death Nova
    3) Ancestors' Rage
    4) Putrid Flesh or Taste of Death
    5) Kaboom!!!!!!!!!

I used this build a while back. Very damaging when the conditions are right. However when you don't have minions or runs out of minions, you aren't doing much.

There is also an Extreme Bomber build that's super hard to use. But when it does work it can KO any enemy with one shot. More funny that effective, obviously.

1) Malign Intervention (get a hostile minion)
    2) Rising Bile
    3) Putrid Bile
    4) Verata's Gaze (take control of the minion)
    5) Death Nova
    6) Ancestors' Rage
    7) Putrid Flesh or Taste of Death (all 4 nukes go off at once)
    Last edited by CHIPS; 06-04-2012 at 20:53.

Interesting build, I'd probably take a pistol myself, with the lower recharges and the ability to use a projectile finisher through your null field to add some additional confusion into the mix or through other player's fields. I also think I'd drop dueling to 15 and increase inspiration to 5, but I don't know how much difference there would be in damage between phantasms with fury or retaliation so I'm not sure if this is the best way to go. My take on it though, was that it would make opponents more wary of fighting your phantasms, which do a good amount of damage afaik. Maybe the difference in spec depends on if you want enemies attacking your phantasms or not?

Also, what are your thoughts on shattered conditions/concentration? Do you think there's a place for either in your build? Removing conditions might not be necessary in the right group or if null field is doing enough condition removal by itself in your situation. However, removing boons from enemies is a fairly rare ability and I'm thinking it'll probably be pretty advantageous. But the spiking damage from rending shatter and vulnerability from mental torment look hard to pass up.

I guess since you can trade major traits while not in combat you could trade them out depending on the situation, why remove boons when the enemies aren't using many after all. But if you were fighting a guardian that stacked boons, which one of the traits would you give up first? I'd probably give up rending shatter due to the heavy armor mitigating more of the spike damage. Whereas necros with lots of boons would require more spike damage and less vulnerability... but I may be thinking too much on this subject.