PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too much damage

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Pretty much figure that's what the not hardest mode possible is for. You learn in normal mode, then put into practice on the hard mode or get killed messily. If you didn't learn in easy mode, your genes are removed to the nearest waypoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Exactly. You learn all the way through the game, then try to take on the most challenging tasks the game can throw at you. You're not involutarily thrown at those bosses, you choose to go against them, knowing they're difficult and unforgivingly punishing. It's not like they're available until you complete the storymode, in which case you're supposed to have learned wtf to do.

What is a challenge if even the hardest encounters in the game won't punish you for not having learned what the entire length of the game up until that point has supposedly tried to beat into your skull. That's right, it's not a challenge.

Achievements:
    10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

Veritas Invictus
    Explorable mode dungeons are pretty much the hardest content in the PvE game, so I guess it should be like that, or else people are gonna be bored very quickly.

I think some of you aren't understanding. I'm not complaining that the dungeon is too hard. I've never played it. I'm saying that anything that takes you from 5,900 health to dead in a single attack (no gradation at all) is too much. Does anyone have any specific reason why instantly killing you is better than giving you warning. Even taking 90% of your health would seem acceptable, but INSTANT death is just dumb. You're at full health, then you're dead. Get it? There is no in between. It's not like, oh no I'm getting hit a bunch I should react or change something or move or anything, you just instantly die.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Frankly, I would cap at 34% health. If you can die in 3 hits, and you get attacked often enough, there's no way you can out-heal this. And it gives you place to learn and do a few mistakes.

It's pretty trivial to reduce the damage but increase it's frequency so that your chances of success is the same... and that is a better way to teach than one-shots.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Frankly, I would cap at 34% health. If you can die in 3 hits, and you get attacked often enough, there's no way you can out-heal this. And it gives you place to learn and do a few mistakes.

It's pretty trivial to reduce the damage but increase it's frequency so that your chances of success is the same... and that is a better way to teach than one-shots.
    I could see this as an option in story mode. In explorable mode, I'm with Kedde - your warning is the boss telegraphing the big hit. Get out of the way, or get your *** handed to you. I can respect that you don't like getting insta-killed when you screw up, but I get a way bigger rush out of avoiding that insta-kill hit than I do avoiding one that won't kill me (it's like landing RoF at exactly the right moment). If the boss insta-killed you without telegraphing, or there wasn't a good way to avoid the hit (e.g. not balling up for AoE) I might even agree with you. But that isn't the case here.

You can get the play experience you want (without really powerful boss attacks) in a crapton of the other areas of the game (including dungeons). Not EVERYTHING needs to be toned down to match that; some of us want a bigger challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    He might telegraph it, but if you don't know where to run...

I mean, is it going to be AoE (run away from boss) or straight attack (strafe around boss) or even he might jump at you (run towards boss).

The first time around, one-hit kills are dumb.

And it's not about toning down anything. In GW2, healing won't keep you fighting forever, especially against bosses.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    I think some of you aren't understanding. I'm not complaining that the dungeon is too hard. I've never played it. I'm saying that anything that takes you from 5,900 health to dead in a single attack (no gradation at all) is too much. Does anyone have any specific reason why instantly killing you is better than giving you warning. Even taking 90% of your health would seem acceptable, but INSTANT death is just dumb. You're at full health, then you're dead. Get it? There is no in between. It's not like, oh no I'm getting hit a bunch I should react or change something or move or anything, you just instantly die.
    I'll be completely honest, I just watched the part where the fought the ghost guy (at 15:15 when the character we are watching goes down and the commentator says about the aoe pretty much decimating the entire team). The character was down to around 1000 health and died. I don't recall EVER seeing the character die in one hit. There were times where he got hit multiple times consecutively, but you could tell they were individual hits because the health bar paused just slightly as it was dropping, signifying multiple hits.

Can you give me a time in the video where he gets downed in one hit from nearly full health? Because I don't remember seeing one. And don't give me one where someone gets killed by a trap. We know from GW that traps are VERY deadly, either insta-kill, or major damage.

---EDIT---

Ok, at like 11:08, they are fighting the spider boss thing. He does get hit twice, one for maybe 500, then for the rest of his health. That particular one does seem a bit excessive. It wasn't attacking him, but then turned, hit hims once, then a second time, downing him. It may be one of two things, OP skill, or the guy has broken armor. Remember, your armor only breaks when you return to a waypoint. And, if I recall, at some point, we saw the character screen and it looked like all his armor was broken, I don't know if it was before that particular fight though.

I don't know though, I'm torn about the issue. In GW hard mode, there were plenty of times that I got killed in one hit. And explorable mode for the dungeons is just basically that, hard mode. And I'd hate to see it turn into a snoozefest, especially if the developers intended the attacks to be that strong. On the other hand, if they are going to have bosses that can kill you in one hit and you have armor that can break from dying too much, there needs to be something done with the downed state, but what, I don't know.
    Last edited by bearsfwd; 28-03-2012 at 12:17.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think he was extrapolating from GW1 bosses, some of which totally can one-hit you.

If some GW2 bosses can do that, I think it would be bad.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I think he was extrapolating from GW1 bosses, some of which totally can one-hit you.

If some GW2 bosses can do that, I think it would be bad.
    It depends entirely on the context of it. at least for me it does.

i have no problems with a boss having a OHK attack as long as the attack is clearly telegraphed and obvious the first time you see it that it is going to be a big badass attack. After that if you still get hit by it then its your own fault for not using the dodge ability.

Don't get me wrong on this i don't want to see all the bosses being able to OHK you but i would be totally ok with the occassional boss having this kind of power attack if it is done right.