Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohjo View Post
    And how is the combat system when you are solo'ing? Is it how people described it, that its just wait until the cooldown is finished and mindlessly use the skill again? What was your experience in small (friend) groups? And how did highend compared to lowend combat?
    My experience on that subject:

Mindless spamming will not get you far, when you are alone, or at least it will slow you down (either by having to fight longer or spending some time in downed state or having to re-portal to a way point). You will use your skills #1 on auto attack (kiting repositioning, if you play well), your skill #2 probably on recharge and #3-#5 wisely.
    e.g. Fire/Staff #1 Fireball - #2 Lava Font (you have to know where to put that small AoE spell, if displaced it is useless) - #3 Flame Burst on really dangerous groups of enemies (just blasting an area can be useless or less effective) - #4 Burning Retreat is wasted on recharge, as it is your get away from melee foes skill (& kill them if done correctly) and finally #5 Meteor Shower with its huge AoE radius can be wasted if put into the wrong spot. After that you have to wait 30 sec for the recharge.
    Clever swapping of attunements on my Ele worked very well adventuring alone. Having a partner was better in a few situations, because someone could always fall back and revive.
    I had the impression that some "wildlife" needs a little tweaking with their respawn times. There was a cave filled with spiders & a skill point challenge I could not master, because I got overwhelmed by the fast respawns, no matter how fast and efficient I had become at killing them
    Last edited by Gorani; 26-03-2012 at 20:46.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Most places where there is a skill point are actually quite challenging. I think it's intentional. Three spots come to mind, one in the wall invaded by ghosts, one nearby spot underwater, and lastly one single foe that was much higher level in the middle of an outpost.

Each of those killed me a few times.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Nohjo View Post
    And how is the combat system when you are solo'ing? Is it how people described it, that its just wait until the cooldown is finished and mindlessly use the skill again? What was your experience in small (friend) groups? And how did highend compared to lowend combat?
    I think it depends on your profession too. Softer professions will get rewarded more for skilled play while soloing, in the form of dying less. Heartier professions, like the Guardian, can get away with mindless spamming while soloing. I'll address the Guardian play more in a write-up.

Low end combat (really low end), you really don't have a choice. You get one skill to start with (other than self heal), and you pretty much spam that till they die and until you unlock other skills. Sure, you can dodge and kite, but as far as skill activation is concerned, there just isn't much choice till you've unlocked more skills. Once you've unlocked the skills for your weapons and offhands, as well as weapon switching, then things get more interesting. Utility skills add more dimension to the gameplay, but again, those slots are unlocked later. I wonder if some of those people just didn't play up very high. If they just tasted levels 1-10 on various professions, I can see why they would come away with the impression of button mashing on recharge is the way to go.

With regards to Gorani's point about respawn rate, it would be nice if the respawn rate is scaled, like events. I've been on the other end of the respawn rate where we had a large group of people just standing around, waiting for things to pop, then killing them before you even have time to activate a second skill.

-T

Its good to hear some positive remarks on the combat too. Do you guys think the combat system is really innovative? And apart from the combat, how good do you think GW2 is overall?

Better or worse than you expected? How is the voice acting for instance? And the NPC/player/environment detail?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I disagree that it depends on the profession, Teina, but I'd love to hear your opinion.

When I did play the guardian, I found he was pretty solid so survival was not an issue (at least, not as much as softer professions). But, it was also pretty easy to waste skills by using them badly. In my experience anyway.

@Nohjo: innovative is a big word, and people will disagree on what counts. I will say this though, Guild Wars 2 is a clear and solid step forward, and will be the next model that people will clone. And I say that not necessarily because the game is awesome or anything, but really because they did a really good job of improving the genre by more than polish.

I can't say that the game is perfect, but it is the only MMORPG I'll be playing in the next few years, and I will have lots of fun playing it.
    Last edited by Alaris; 26-03-2012 at 21:37.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I disagree that it depends on the profession, Teina, but I'd love to hear your opinion.

When I did play the guardian, I found he was pretty solid so survival was not an issue (at least, not as much as softer professions). But, it was also pretty easy to waste skills by using them badly. In my experience anyway.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't say button mashing is the most efficient way to go. I'm just pointing out that they are more resilient, so wasting a skill is not as bad as, say, on a mesmer. If I wanted to, I can probably button mash my Guardian, solo, through most if not all level 1-20 content without really suffering for it. Sure, I might burn a shield here or an AoE there without them doing anything, but overall, I'm less likely to die from bad play than a softer profession. With my mesmer, I had to put more efforts into watching what I was doing while soloing.

Nohjo, overall I think the combat system is fine. I didn't really have a chance to purposely setup cross-professions combo in real battles, since my play time was mostly solo or large group events and WvW. The only gripe I can think of is the weapons skills unlock. While I understand the theory and was ok with it with the first (and even the second) weapon, by the time I was working on my final weapon skills unlock, I was in the teens, and having only one skill on that weapon just wasn't cutting it (2-handed at that, so no offhand skills either). It would be nice if there's a way to unlock weapon skills after level 10, or after you've already unlocked a weapon or two through combat, or something. If this stays the same in release, then unlocking all my weapons skills will be top priority, even if I have to buy generic weapons to do so.

-T

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by teina View Post
    so wasting a skill is not as bad as, say, on a mesmer
    Glad to hear about your experience.

I thought the mesmer was surprisingly resilient, I expected to be quite squishy but with a few clones around, surviving was not that difficult. I didn't play it in the harder parts though, but I did some PvP with it.

It would be nice if there's a way to unlock weapon skills after level 10
    Yeah, starting with one-handed weapons that often were not even something I wanted (sword on mesmer?) and unlocking was not my idea of fun. I wish they make that faster.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registeredVeteran
    Server

Stormbluff Isles
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Rubi can be seen talking in the vid from total biscuit. RUBI!
    So upset I didn't get picked.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Nohjo, overall I think the combat system is fine. I didn't really have a chance to purposely setup cross-professions combo in real battles, since my play time was mostly solo or large group events and WvW. The only gripe I can think of is the weapons skills unlock. While I understand the theory and was ok with it with the first (and even the second) weapon, by the time I was working on my final weapon skills unlock, I was in the teens, and having only one skill on that weapon just wasn't cutting it (2-handed at that, so no offhand skills either). It would be nice if there's a way to unlock weapon skills after level 10, or after you've already unlocked a weapon or two through combat, or something. If this stays the same in release, then unlocking all my weapons skills will be top priority, even if I have to buy generic weapons to do so.
    -T
    The way I worked at it was by adding a fully unlocked weapon set as my secondary set. At the start of the battle, I'd switch to the unlocking one, in the middle of the battle I'd switch to the unlocked one and at clean up, back to the unlocking one.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Using your autoattack on an locked weapon is a brilliant idea.
    == Alaris & clone ==