PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help me understand

Hey,

I'm a new guild wars player; I'd never tried it until I started last week. I'd heard great things about the game for years, and with GW2 on the horizon I thought I'd try GW1. I finally installed it, made a couple of characters in Prophecies, and discovered.... that it's incredibly boring.

The world thus far has been fairly lifeless, I can't really explore some areas because the world is so underpopulated that, for instance, I couldn't find anyone to open the gate for me to the Northlands in the pre-searing section. The post-searing area is pretty dull-looking. I get tired of killing the same stupid bugs that jump out at you right outside the gate every time I enter the zone. And again, I can't find anyone who actually wants to group up (not that I need to, but I thought it might make things more interesting).

I really want to make this work. When does the game get interesting? Is it just prophecies that's not so fun? Should I skip it and move on to one of the other expansions? It's not that the combat is particularly hard... I can complete whatever missions I have without too much trouble. There hasn't been much story to keep me interested.

So what should I do? I'm only level 9 or so. Is prophecies worth playing? I don't mean years ago when the world was full and you could group up, etc. I mean now. Are there places in GW that still have people interested in grouping? I'm playing on a european server.

I've tried ranger and necromancer so far... any advice before I uninstall would be nice.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by lavium View Post
    Is it just prophecies that's not so fun? Should I skip it and move on to one of the other expansions?
    Yes and absolutely yes. Just don't bother with Prophecies until you got to know the game better. Prophecies is outdated, slow and plain boring.

Start off in Nightfall to have access to heroes right away (who needs grouping anyways...) and things should get far more interesting.

You can later on travel to all continents/expansions with a character, so it won't matter much anymore where you started off.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    There's lots of places where you can get a group of people together quite easily - Early on in Prophecies is very empty though as it was the first game of the series and was intended to take a while to play through (Took me three months). You'll certainly enjoy the storyline and all the skills/spells you get for completing side quests but if you want more immediate 'bang for you buck' experience then creating another character from Factions or Nightfall will help you with a speedier game.

Prophecies is my favourite of the three main games due to its diverse landscapes, political interwoven storylines and challenging missions (As well as being the first MMO I'd ever played). Factions is a much quicker paced game which will have you at level 20 within a day or two and again is enjoyable for a different variety of reasons. Levelling in Nightfall isn't as fast as Factions but it is still fast. You also get 'heroes' which makes PvEing a lot easier as you can control your NPCs and give them skills and equipment specific to how you play.

I'd suggest playing a character from start to finish in each of the games - they can cross over into each others games easily but certain missions and story backgrounds can only be seen from starting there (Presearing for example is Prophecies character only). Prophecies seems quite quiet at level 9 (Although Presearing is usually jumping) but once you hit Lion's Arch you'll see that it's also bustling with players. I'll happily nip on with you and at least run your prophecies character to Lion's Arch so you can get some 'social contact' from within the game if you'd like.

I'd recommend joining a guild (Such as MVOP) and have other players hook up with you for missions and general fun.

Prophecies is the hardest of the games to start from - however I think due to that it's more fulfilling. We just need to get you into an area with people chatting(spamming) and perhaps a guild to help you out with some missions.

You've picked a nice forum to engage with the community - you'll get lots of support here as long as you check the wiki before asking some questions.

Gimme a shout if you'd like me to help you get to Lion's Arch.

-Art

Fast responses. Thanks guys. :) I don't mind the slower leveling. I mostly mind the empty landscapes and areas. I do see some people, but no one seems very chatty. Of course, Europe has some language differences so that makes it more difficult. I don't mind solo play if it's interesting, it's just that so far I've been forcing myself to play through it. Not so much fun. Maybe I'll try nightfall to see how things are there.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    PROTIP: Chat in Kamadan (Nightfall's capital city) consists of many people wanting to sell stuff repeatedly. Make sure the trade channel is unticked so you can speak with other players without losing your mind in the wall of text.

In addition to what others have suggested, for Prophecies you may just want to focus on the missions, instead of the side quests. While side quests can give you a flavor of the world and add to the lore, it can be pretty monotonous doing them by yourself. You may still have to do some quests to move from one mission town to another, but if I recall there are no blocking quests in Prophecies. Just doing the missions should move the story along pretty well.

-T

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Prophecies is long and slow. Some love that pace, and I can imagine it was quite fun back when it released. I personally prefer the pace of Factions.

If you are looking for people to group with, Nightfall is your best bet. That, or Guilds. Mind you, with Guild Wars 2 in beta already, Guild Wars the original is getting old so people concentrate more on endgame (i.e. hard mode etc).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    That said teina quite a lot of the skills or spells you can cast in Prophecies can only be gotten as rewards from certain side quests. That's what beefs out the playing time whereas you can just buy them in the other games (Bar elites).

-Art

Good points about the side quests. I guess maybe I should just look up which skills give you the quests? Not knowing which quests lead to which areas means that I run back to the same areas over and over again... not that much fun. I'll give old ascalon one more shot tonight, maybe, before trying nightfall. :)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Ehmry Bay
    Guild

[Loot]
    Post-Searing Ascalon is a very dull and dreary environment. It shows the complete devastation of one of the most beautiful areas of the game, and that can have a depressing or crushing effect. I'd advise to at least progress to Kryta. Also, level 19 and below content is an introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Yi Mor View Post
    That said teina quite a lot of the skills or spells you can cast in Prophecies can only be gotten as rewards from certain side quests.
    That's false. You do have to get to the Fire Islands to be able to buy all the skills from Prophecies, but all three campaigns have a final skill trainer.
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dakk