PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by lavium View Post
    I was kind of wondering about the runes. What levels of runes do people usually buy? +3 skills seem nice, but 75 is a lot of hp at my level. :) Does it make sense to, say, get +3 runes for the main skill you use (marksmanship, say), and then +1 runes for the other skills? Or can you only use one rune? Or what's the deal?

Thanks for all the help everyone. It looks like I picked a forum with nice people. :) If anyone is interested in chatting in game, my character atm is Lavium Koldar.
    I personally only use minor runes except for vigors. Except for minion masters (necromancer build) or special builds. I just don't find the health loss to be worth the minimal extra damage +2 to an attribute line would give.

Just id all blue armor drops as you go along and you'll get runes. Be sure to check with a rune trader npc to see the value of the runes. If it's not worth more than a couple hundred gold, they aren't worth salvaging to sell once you have enough runes for yourself and/or your heroes.

Armor can take one insignia and one rune each. If you try to salvage a rune you run a chance of destroying the item you salvage it from. THIS INCLUDES YOUR CHARACTER ARMOR! So be careful. You can use a Perfect Salvage kit to take runes/insiginia off your own armor but they aren't cheap and you'll be upgrading your armor a couple times any way. If you apply another rune to a piece of armor with a rune on it already, it will just over write the old rune.

I usually get head piece armor with the attribute I use most and add a minor rune of the same attribute to that then minors for any other attributes in my build (like Expertise for Rangers). The rest I fill up with one vigor rune, or runes of attunement or runes of whatever the health ones are called.

For insignia I still like Survivor, but I think everyone's moved to armor runes.

I'm pretty sure most of the above comments about runes were referring to buying them, or that your armor will be upgraded so don't worry. But they do drop in the areas you are in, so you should use them when you get them.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Thanks for the rune explanations, all. I understand a bit better about using them. Despite all of your best efforts, however, I'm still a bit lost with regard to finding runes. I find a blue/purple weapon, I ID it, and it says "damage +10%" or "health+17", etc. These aren't runes, right? Will it say something else when there's actually a rune? Or do I have to salvage it with an expert kit before I find out that there's a rune? And do these runes show up on weapons? Or just on the random drops from monsters like "Axe fiend armor", "Flame wielder trappings" or "Shaman garb," etc? So far I've only seen white drops that seem to be armor, but plenty of blue and a few purple weapons/shields. Do I need to wait for a blue armor type drop?

Yes, you need to wait for a blue/purple/gold armor drop. A gold Axe Fiend Armor, after you identify it, may become Survivor Axe Fiend Armor of Superior Vigor. The prefix is the insignia (in this case, Survivor) and the postfix is the rune (Superior Vigor). When you use an expert/superior salvage kit on it, you'll be given the opportunity to extract one or the other, with a chance of destroying the armor (along with the other unextracted one). It'll also give you the option of salvaging materials, which will guarantee destruction of any of the insignia or rune still left on it.

Weapons work the same way, most blue/purple/gold weapons will have at least one modifier. They also work in the prefix/postfix way like armor, with different bonuses attached to them. In Nightfall and Eye of the North, you'll get weapons where you can extract and change the third modifier.

-T

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Thanks for the rune explanations, all. I understand a bit better about using them. Despite all of your best efforts, however, I'm still a bit lost with regard to finding runes. I find a blue/purple weapon, I ID it, and it says "damage +10%" or "health+17", etc. These aren't runes, right? Will it say something else when there's actually a rune? Or do I have to salvage it with an expert kit before I find out that there's a rune? And do these runes show up on weapons? Or just on the random drops from monsters like "Axe fiend armor", "Flame wielder trappings" or "Shaman garb," etc? So far I've only seen white drops that seem to be armor, but plenty of blue and a few purple weapons/shields. Do I need to wait for a blue armor type drop?
    Runes come from armor pieces. When you see a blue, purple or gold "Axe fiend armor", "Flame wielder trappings" or "Shaman garb", that means it have a rune in it. Id it and see if you need it or if it worth any money. Then decide if you want to just sell the armor or salvage it and use/sell the rune to the Runes Trader.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Thanks for the rune explanations. I found a blue armor piece and salvaged the rune. I also thought people might like to know that I'm following a lot of your advice and sticking to the missions/skill quests atm and the game has magically become more fun. :) I've just arrived in Yak's bend.

I mostly mind the empty landscapes and areas.
    I know post-searing Ascalon is dull looking, but if you followed the story a bit you know why this is. Once you get a bit further in the game there are a lot of gorgeous landscapes.
    Spoiler

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Thanks for the rune explanations. I found a blue armor piece and salvaged the rune. I also thought people might like to know that I'm following a lot of your advice and sticking to the missions/skill quests atm and the game has magically become more fun. :) I've just arrived in Yak's bend.
    just a small tip you can discard as fun stuff, yak's bend has a new armor art so if you feel the need to take something better looking that's the place to start ^_^

you can now take 6 henchman so you have some more room to play around with, personally would advice taking at least the necro because the necro uses blood ritual, that skill gives +3 energy pips.(pips are the arrows showing how fast something regenerates)
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

I'm sorry for being an ***, but it's a party size of 6, which means 5 Henchies + you...

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    He starts at ToA, which has the party size of 8.

EDIT: I though we were in the Galrath-topic. Carry on...

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Yeah, PROTIP; leave the Galrath quest for now - it takes a lot of time and doesn't give out that much by way of reward compared to hitting Factions or Nightfall from LA.

Do it later though, there's some nice scenery.

-Art