PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
  1. #11
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    sorudo's Avatar
    Server

    far shiverpeak
    Guild

    the legendary alterans
    Posts

    10,574
    proph takes it's time to teach the player how to play the game, factions rushes trough the levels and doesn't really teach you anything useful.
    all nightfall teaches is how you can use your heroes efficiently, it doesn't teach you anything about the basics and puts you in impossible odds way to fast for starter players.

    IMO proph is still the best place to learn the robes, the only down side is the absent of players.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

    sorudo.9054

  2. #12
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Art's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    TRUE
    Posts

    7,130
    True MisterB,

    Having played a fire elementalist who used nothing but presearing skills for a gimmick build I can promise you it gets difficult to out-doppelgänger yourself if you're even lucky enough to have gotten there without runs or well skilled PUGs. I took this into account when I was tying to assist our new friend here who is a novice at this point.

    Your information is 100% correct though and I'm sure he can buy any skills he doesn't feel like going back and earning if he wants to use his skill points on them as oppose to capturing elites.

    Just now though I'm thinking he's not been to Yakk's bend and doesn't have others to assist him as we would have back in the earlier days.

    -Art

  3. #13
    I can see how proph would be useful... it's just not that interesting. Too much running back and forth, using henchmen for those times when you get mobbed by 6 monsters but otherwise wishing they weren't there, etc. I also wouldn't mind a bit more assistance... like the location of my trainer, maybe. I shouldn't need to run everywhere and/or look it up on a wiki someplace.

  4. #14
    A few thoughts:

    1) American districts are where most people hang out.
    2) I disagree that some that Prophecies is not fun, however many of the early quests are incredibly dull due to you being so much stronger than the early monsters, and as you noted, the repetitiveness of certain paths (edit: and sheer volume). Maybe stick to missions and primary quests, unless you see a skill quest. Getting more skills unlocked is always useful.
    3) I always recommend to people to explore the game at their own pace, don't use wiki the first time, and don't get rushed through by advanced players. Maybe that isn't for you, but you bought the game, might as well play it yourself and not have others play it for you.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    A few thoughts:

    1) American districts are where most people hang out.

    2) I disagree that some that Prophecies is not fun, however many of the early quests are incredibly dull due to you being so much stronger than the early monsters, and as you noted, the repetitiveness of certain paths (edit: and sheer volume). Maybe stick to missions and primary quests, unless you see a skill quest. Getting more skills unlocked is always useful.
    3) I always recommend to people to explore the game at their own pace, don't use wiki the first time, and don't get rushed through by advanced players. Maybe that isn't for you, but you bought the game, might as well play it yourself and not have others play it for you.

    1) How's the lag if you're in Europe playing on the American servers? Can you switch servers whenever you want?
    2) I guess my problem is when they send you to point A, so you fight your way there, the guy at point A sends you to new zone B, and then you have to go back to point A (killing all the monsters you just killed). All for a few hundred xp and a tall shield you can't use because you're a ranger. :) I think I'll stick to the missions/primaries/skill quests, as you guys have all suggested. Plus any random quests that happen to be along the way.
    3) I agree with your sentiment, but if I clear most of a map and then have to do it again because I didn't notice some guy on a hillside with a few skills I might want, then I might get annoyed. :)

  6. #16
    You can switch servers whenever you want, there isn't a limit on that like there once was. When I've done it I never noticed any lag, but your results may vary.

    Personally I would recommend Nightfall as a starting point. The one drawback to Nightfall is its mostly desert environments so there is less variety in terrain. The plus side is that it's faster paced, the story is more involved and better realized (although Prophecies does have an interesting plot with some good twists, it feels like there's a lot in between advances in the plot), the population is less spread out with less completely dead areas (which are sadly very frequent in Prophecies, not just in Ascalon but in whole swaths of the Magnuum Jungle and the Crystal Desert). What's more, when you finish the tutorial stage of Nightfall you can go and visit the other continents, so you could pick up Prophecies in Kryta or Factions in Kaineng City, and bring your heroes with you which will help in those dead areas.

  7. #17
    GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

    Posts

    2,757
    Quote Originally Posted by lavium View Post
    2) I guess my problem is when they send you to point A, so you fight your way there, the guy at point A sends you to new zone B, and then you have to go back to point A (killing all the monsters you just killed). All for a few hundred xp and a tall shield you can't use because you're a ranger. :) I think I'll stick to the missions/primaries/skill quests, as you guys have all suggested. Plus any random quests that happen to be along the way.
    3) I agree with your sentiment, but if I clear most of a map and then have to do it again because I didn't notice some guy on a hillside with a few skills I might want, then I might get annoyed. :)
    2. That's a definite draw back of instanced play, the area resets every time you leave. On the plus side you don't have to worry about people camping important areas or coming in and stealing stuff.

    3. Some times you can run around or away from mobs to speed things up. The experience you get from kills is pretty small, quests and missions are better sources of experience.

    Quests, once taken, always show you their rewards. You can abandon any quest (when in town) and retake it later if you want. You can always come back and do them when you want too. The nice thing about Proph. quests is that a lot of them give rewards for your profession, and often for a second profession as well. This can help out later when you get heroes as they can only use skills you have unlocked (ie. learned by buying from a skill trainer or as a quest reward.) Generally speaking, except for main story line quests (which should give you green arrows and stars on your compass to guide you) most people skip the side quests because the rewards in Proph. are pretty low.

    Prophecies is slow. Some think that's good (you have time to really learn the skills you get) and some think it's bad (gets boring). As mentioned you can skip a lot of stuff and just focus on missions (wiki maps can be useful for this.) I would just suggest that whether you do it in Proph. or Nightfall, that you try to learn the basics of how agro works, learning to look for patrols so you don't get mobbed when fighting, and learning how to pull groups to safe areas in which to fight (just keep the next longbow that drops, any profession can use them, they're great for pulling.) Once you get those basics down, then when you get into trouble, you can keep an eye out for the skills that are giving you problems (if you hit F10 then a help window pops up, scroll to the bottom for a list of recently encountered skills with wiki links for descriptions and tips) and figure out how to counter them (skills that reduce damage, or that interrupt the skill giving you trouble, or using something to absorb the damage (minions from Necros, or spirits from Ritualists (Factions profession).

    Also keep in mind that Guild Wars was balanced as a team game. It is possible to solo some areas, but those are special builds that take advantage of AI tricks and set monster skills. So you should either be filling your party with real people, henchmen and/or heroes and not going out and doing things alone or you will get frustrated very quickly. There are not many things in GW PVE like that gate in Pre-Searing where you absolutely have to have another human player. It can be more fun, but the hero/hench are for when you can't find others who want to do what you want to do, so don't shy away from using them.

    Once you get to Lions Arch, you will be able to get quests that open up Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North to your character. Keep in mind that EotN content is meant for people who have completed at least one campaign, so it's a LOT harder than anything you will have faced by this point (assuming you keep following the Proph. storyline.) At the point you enter Factions and NF as a Proph. born character you are entering level 20 content, so keep that in mind if you decide to go exploring. (Well, in NF you'll be on the starter isle, so that will be pretty easy, but the NF storyline from where you come in expecting you to be close to level 20).

    Other tips: you don't need to upgrade your armor every time you find a new armorer. I believe you said you were a ranger, so your max armor will be 70. Pick up all drops and sell them when you get back to town. That stuff adds up. I like the recurve bow for it's combination of distance and decent refire rate. You'll notice that skills cost more as you buy more, this caps out at 1k per skill. Runes: if it has a note saying that it reduces your health, then every rune you put on saying that will add up. But the +1 or +2 or +3 to whatever attribute they are for will not, so if you have a +2 rune to Marksmanship and a +3 rune to Marksmanship on your armor, you will only get +3 to armor but both health losses will add up to 110 (35 + 75). Agro largely goes to the party member with the lowest health or armor, or who gets seen first.

    Oh, one more thing, if you end up in a place called Embark Beach before you get to Lion's Arch or Kaineng Center (Factions) you need to talk to the Tyrian or Canthan (Factions) Travel NPCs to get back. Once you get to the aforementioned cities you can hit the M button and the world map will have a boat giving you the option to get back to the continent you came from.

    Good luck and hope you have more fun as you go on.
    Last edited by BladeDVD; 27-03-2012 at 04:21.

  8. #18
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    CHIPS's Avatar
    Server

    Tarnished Coast
    Guild

    The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Posts

    2,389
    TBH, GW1 is subpar as a single player game when compared to the likes of Witcher. Where GW1 shrines is co-op with other players. However the game is getting old and it isn't easy to find players to play with.

    For you, I will say Nightfall>Prophecies>Factions.

    Nightfall gives you heroes, which you can customize yourself. This will make your adventures a lot less frustrating.

    Prophecies gives you skills as quest rewards. That will save you a lot of money and skill points. I agree with Sorudo that Prophecies is by far the best (and cheapest) place to develop your character and your heroes; Keeping in mind that your heroes won't have skills until you unlock them. The bad part is that the story won't pick up until the 2nd half of Kryta.

    Factions have a bad story and pretty tough game play. The enemies will blow up in your face, and party wipe happens often if you don't know what you are doing. You should stay away from Factions until you become a better player. But if you want to quickly improve your playing skills, and don't get frustrated easily, go for Factions.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 27-03-2012 at 07:34.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    TBH, GW1 is subpar as a single player game when compared to the likes of Witcher. Where GW1 shrines is co-op with other players. However the game is getting old and it isn't easy to find players to play with.

    For you, I will say Nightfall>Prophecies>Factions.

    Nightfall gives you heroes, which you can customize yourself. This will make your adventures a lot less frustrating.

    Prophecies gives you skills as quest rewards. That will save you a lot of money and skill points. I agree with Sorudo that Prophecies is by far the best (and cheapest) place to develop your character and your heroes; Keeping in mind that your heroes won't have skills until you unlock them. The bad part is that the story won't pick up until the 2nd half of Kryta.
    I'm a bit confused. Can I bring the heroes from nightfall to prophecies? What level would I be then? 20?

    The Witcher is one of my favorite games. :)

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    Other tips: you don't need to upgrade your armor every time you find a new armorer. I believe you said you were a ranger, so your max armor will be 70. Pick up all drops and sell them when you get back to town. That stuff adds up. I like the recurve bow for it's combination of distance and decent refire rate. You'll notice that skills cost more as you buy more, this caps out at 1k per skill. Runes: if it has a note saying that it reduces your health, then every rune you put on saying that will add up. But the +1 or +2 or +3 to whatever attribute they are for will not, so if you have a +2 rune to Marksmanship and a +3 rune to Marksmanship on your armor, you will only get +3 to armor but both health losses will add up to 110 (35 + 75). Agro largely goes to the party member with the lowest health or armor, or who gets seen first.
    .
    I was kind of wondering about the runes. What levels of runes do people usually buy? +3 skills seem nice, but 75 is a lot of hp at my level. :) Does it make sense to, say, get +3 runes for the main skill you use (marksmanship, say), and then +1 runes for the other skills? Or can you only use one rune? Or what's the deal?

    Thanks for all the help everyone. It looks like I picked a forum with nice people. :) If anyone is interested in chatting in game, my character atm is Lavium Koldar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •