PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    The meaning and significance of words simply changes over time. It's that simple. The words that were once looked down upon and shunned in public usage are now everyday words that noone should give a flying **** about. Undoubtedly new words will take their place in being the ones viewed as truly offensive, but most people just need to adapt.

Pretending that language can be "foul" merely because the words involved is a most ridiculous delusion. Clearly it is the meaning that is important. If "****" is censored, then so should "make love" be, and all other synonyms of it.

"Black" too, of course.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I think there's plenty of programming for kids that doesn't have cursing, though. Even channels like Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. have programming for older children (... not that I would know from watching it myself... Especially not That's So Raven...). Also, books.
    Ugh. But the Disney Channel programming can be soooo stupid. I'd rather have my hypothetical kids watching cartoons. Heck, they're better off watching Saved By The Bell reruns.
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    "Black" too, of course.
    I have lots of black friends, which is to say, I disagree.

We often hear the principle: "It's not what you say, but how you say it." If I wanted to be pedantic, I'd say that was crap.

As a realist, however (and as any man who's told a sensitive woman something bluntly), it's truer than we'd like to admit. I wouldn't say that's a 100% explanation, as that would strip all words of having a core meaning, but I will say that "the how" is a big factor. Intonation and body language are the main parts of that, but the choice of specific words also affects how we say it. So, while the truth can hurt, there's certainly a lot extra hurt that can be added by the way we go about it.

And if we deny that some words have extra impact than others, we're either being naive or stubborn. Either way, we're handicapping our language and the ability to communicate more precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    I have lots of black friends, which is to say, I disagree.

We often hear the principle: "It's not what you say, but how you say it." If I wanted to be pedantic, I'd say that was crap.

As a realist, however (and as any man who's told a sensitive woman something bluntly), it's truer than we'd like to admit. I wouldn't say that's a 100% explanation, as that would strip all words of having a core meaning, but I will say that "the how" is a big factor. Intonation and body language are the main parts of that, but the choice of specific words also affects how we say it. So, while the truth can hurt, there's certainly a lot extra hurt that can be added by the way we go about it.

And if we deny that some words have extra impact than others, we're either being naive or stubborn. Either way, we're handicapping our language and the ability to communicate more precisely.
    Why would you agree (or not so) on account of having certain friends?

I won't say that you are not right, because partially, you are. But that would also mean that we'd have to censor certain body language and intonation as well. And I'm not talking about middle finger gestures. Should we allow displays of anger on daytime TV, when kids could be watching? Should we allow the word "hate", which certainly is more foul, both in expression and in concept, than any synonym for sexual intercourse? The effect, then, is still there, regardless of whether we employ certain words to convey it or not.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    It's all about intentions, right? If you say "I want to f*** him," it doesn't really have the same connotation as "I want to make love to him." Waving at someone doesn't really mean the same as giving someone the finger.

It's silly, but it's what you mean, not really what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    It's all about intentions, right? If you say "I want to f*** him," it doesn't really have the same connotation as "I want to make love to him." Waving at someone doesn't really mean the same as giving someone the finger.

It's silly, but it's what you mean, not really what you're doing.
    For the first example I disagree, for the second I agree. There are other gestures with the same meaning as either waving or giving someone the finger, though, and they are culture dependent. Would a backwards V sign be censored in America? Probably not, though in some parts of the world it means just the same as the more famous middle-finger gesture.

Anyway, that is still beside the point. That point is that the connotation is still there, regardless of what we use to convey it.

Real people curse occasionally. There's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't hurt anyone. Not even toddlers. It's certainly possible to overuse cursing, but it's also possible to have terrible dialogue and no plot. The reaction in each case should be the same, as should the legal/broadcast restrictions.

Obviously this goes for mediums other then television as well.

Censorship of curse words on tv annoys me to no end. Everyone knows the F-word. What is the point of inserting a loud BLEEP, when it is painfully obvious to everyone what curse word is being said? Even worse is when they also add a mosaic effect to the lips of anyone cursing on tv, because heavens we don't want to upset the deaf audience that can read lips! It is so silly. If a network doesn't like cursing, then don't broadcast shows or movies that include cursing.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    What annoys me more than censoring is HOW they censor sometimes. I think we've discussed this before, but how they censor "god" in "god damn" (I thought they were saying "f*** damn" until I was a teenager) and "hole" in "a*****e" bugs me. Why not censor the curse?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    In the case of GD, it's the G that makes it more offensive than just 'damn.' So, they bleep that. It's kind of silly to draw the line when we know what they're saying, but it probably started with decent intentions.

Most people here seem to think they're over-sensitive, but most people here don't have kids yet. I don't really feel that anything is making my media suckier by censorship, to be honest. Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I don't swear, and therefore don't feel limited or censored by seeing that.