PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii

What race/profession are you planning on making for GW2?

Lately I've been thinking about what characters I'd like to create for GW2.

It's a bit difficult since I'd prefer to know more about racial and profession skills. It's to my understanding that racial skills do have profession versions which are "better" or "more powerful" than their racial siblings. Right now my thinking is that I don't want to choose a combination where I basically have duplications in both racial and profession skills. But again there are advantages to having duplications in some situations, I'd imagine.

Also I don't know how many character slots we will be getting although I'm sure we will be able to purchase more slots.

Realistically, I should choose one character due to my RL obligations and constraints but the 12 years old in me just die at the thought of limiting myself to one character.

Probably will wind up getting one per race - we'll see!

For most of my "GW life" I've been playing a ranger so in some ways I'd like to do something different with my main character. Yet I find myself wanting to play a ranger as well. :lol:

I'm considering "new" professions such as Guardian (norn?), Thief (human?), and Engineer (asura?)

Anyway I'm curious what are your thoughts and ideas re: this topic.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Human female elementalist. I could not in good conscience create anything else for my first.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    About the ranger: due to the changed they made to weapons, a profession isn't restricted to the same weapons as they are in GW1. So, as a ranger, I have used a longbow, shortbow, throwing axe, sword, two-handed sword, and as offhands, a horn, a dagger and a torch. Forgot to equip another axe as second hand.

So, you can stand back (longbow), stand in medium range (short-bow and throwing axe) or be right in the thick of it (swords). And I think it will be true for every single profession in the game. But each profession has its own extra feature. I have tried the thief, but couldn't really get into it (besides, the time was too short to really try out two professions anyway ), the same as I never felt really comfortable with the warrior in GW1. The reason: in GW1 the adrenaline and the "mana" in GW2 (the ranger doesn't have that).

In the end, I think you'll just have to try all of them (which probably means you'll have to buy some character slots )
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Engineer doesn't really have melee options. Instead, he's more of a ranged / nuke / support character as far as I could tell.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Lady - I saw the article on leaked shop items and character slots were one of those. Not surprising, of course.

Is there any delay when you switch a weapon set?

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Human mesmer!

Most of my characters will probably be human. I usually go for the stranger or more extreme races whenever a game gives me the option, but this is Guild Wars. Not playing a human is weird.

Main character will be a human Ranger, probably with a longbow in one weapon set and sword + torch/horn in the other.

Human Mesmer, definitely. The fact that they use greatswords as ranged weapons is just awesome. Dual sword or sword/pistol looks like a lot of fun, too.

Norn warrior, maybe? I could see my GW1 warrior running off with a beefy Norn lady and having freakishly large children. It's a shame they can't use torches, though. Asuran warrior also sounds like a lot of fun... Little guy jumping all over the place like Yoda... Difficult choice!

I have to make a Charr something; probably Engineer. Not many professions really feel right for them.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Yeah I agree, Dulin. HOM is supposed to be all about passing down the legacy to your GW2 character from GW1 character. So how is that supposed to work out if you roll an Asuran or whatever?

oh well - I so can't wait for the beta weekend so I can get some taste of what GW2 has to offer!

@Barinthus: crossbreeding obviously, who wouldn't want to snuggle with an Asura?...oh wait...I don't :D

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barinthus View Post
    Lady - I saw the article on leaked shop items and character slots were one of those. Not surprising, of course.

Is there any delay when you switch a weapon set?
    Sorry, missed this one! Yes. But only if you're in battle (same for switching pets)

Quote Originally Posted by Dulin View Post
    I have to make a Charr something; probably Engineer. Not many professions really feel right for them.
    Ranger. That's the one thing that really right for them. I will create at least a Charr, a Human and an Asuran. The rest depends on how much I like them...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)