PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by Domethilde Du Lac View Post
    Right, a female human. Really, who wants to stare at some big furry butt while playing?
    Perhaps it's a good thing that Anet came up with feline-like race. Playing a baboon-like race likely will be a peculiar experience no matter how you look at it.

I haven't decided exactly what races / profession combo's I'll be going for. But I'll probably skip the Asura all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm wondering what the lore is for that HoM link in GW2. It would be a shame to invent an elaborate story for each character and then have ANet HoM lore contradict it.

My chars with loot the crypt (which is only possible for those deemed worthy), or have the rights of entry passed from one adventurer to the next much like inheritance works (which is usually blood-related but does not need to be).
    I spent some time thinking about this yesterday. How is my GW2 character going to "inherit" a fellblade if none of my GW1 characters ever possessed one? And why would all my minipets, my 15k Druid's armor, my Oppressor's Staff, and any other items I actually put in the hall just disappear? It doesn't make sense.

What I think they might do is write a little backstory explaining that your GW1 character eventually settles down and has a family, and that family takes advantage of your wealth and fame to become one of the great and noble houses of Tyria. It's been 250 years, so your character's actual possessions have likely been divided up among many offspring, who in turn divided them up among their offspring, and so on for many generations. Half of Divinity's Reach probably has a minipet of yours by now. However, some of your descendents probably ended up doing some adventuring of their own, and the others were still wealthy, so they likely picked up a lot of GW1-era junk on their own.

When you make a character in GW2, instead of raiding their ancestor's crypt, they probably just raid Grandma's attic. (Non-human characters and humans of low birth probably get adopted into the family as part of their personal storyline.) So that fellblade that gets passed down may not have ever belonged to your GW1 character, but it did happen to be Great Grandpa Bobby Bludgeoner's favorite slashing stick.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Alternatively, the HoM decided that butt-ugly destroyer weapons would be a pretty weak inheritance and so it reforged those things into what they are now.

Just a few comments: (1) lore has to explain why non-human races get to inherit, especially sylvari who are too young to have such a concept as inheritance, (2) lore has to explain why the items are different, and (3) the transfer pretty much has to go via the HoM.

And by "lore has to explain", I don't mean what ANet puts in GW2, but whatever we come up as well as potential explanations. I'd be happy if ANet left it fairly ambiguous so each person can make his own story.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Yeah, sometimes we are better off not having everything explained so we can fill in gaps with our imaginations

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    But what about those of us with no imagination?
    I'll probably make a character without regard to profession so I can decide if I'll like its looks.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

I will play all the races and classes eventually, that seems to be how I play though I will probably start with a Human Ranger or Sylvari Ranger.

As for how all the races inherit the HoM items is rather simple. The Charr would raid the HoM the first chance they could, the Norn would unknowingly take the items when they are drunk, the Sylvari are too new to Tyria to have a sense of morals and hence they would steal them, the Humans simply inherit them and the Asura believe they are the only ones deserving of them and hence would take them from the HoM as well.

As for how the items change hands is best described by A-Net, "What's your story?".

I am going with the Charr Engineer

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Heeey you stole my idea!

Charr ranger for main. Probably also going to make a Charr necro and maybe a Norn guardian. I'm not even sure if I'll make a human...they just seem so boring. Maybe if they add Cantha some day in the future I'll consider it.