PC Gaming News
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Everything from the beta weekend (March 2012)

I have decided to open this thread, although it is kind of a week late. Why you might ask yourself? As I am currently reworking the [Basics] threads, I noticed some small, but significant changes to the skills, we could discuss.

1. Healing skills have been reworked (some of them offer less healing, but shorter recharges; Others, have got the ability to remove conditions)
    2. Eles lost the ability to Stun on a skill, making it an even more scarce condition
    3. Although the Arcane Power trait line buffs boons, he even lost a few compared to the February beta. The Ele still has very few of those to profit from that trait line if he is not actively swapping a lot and investing at least a few points into Arcane Power; what does that mean for people who want to specialize into one attunement?
    4. Ranges and areas of effects have been streamlined a bit, but especially areas of effects vary a lot if you look at the numbers (120, 228, 240, 300); I come to the conclusion that there is quite some balancing going on.
    5. Conjures saw little game play while I was playing & I still do not know how to make other players pick up the "extra weapon" that was introduced with the March beta (a small reminder: you get a conjured weapon + an additional weapon is dropped to the ground for someone to pick up and use)
    6. Some skills have long recharges for a minor effect (like Gust) or even longer ones; Does that mean that we will probably have to take some "speed up major traits" ?
    7. Taking a look at the slot/utility skills shows that it is more expensive to unlock a Signet of Earth or Conjure Earth skill, than it is to unlock the Fire Magic variant. Why is that so? Why make the costs of the signets & conjures different?
    Last edited by Gorani; 31-03-2012 at 17:13.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

As for conjures, you can see some footage of them on the yogscast.

The Yogscast Picks Up Some Conjures.

You can't really make anyone pick them up, they have to choose to wield the weapons in the first place. I don't know how balanced they are, I don't think yogscast really pays attention to how good something is, they're just happy to pick up the shiny. It does look cool though, and I can see them working well as an extra swap for players. For instance on a guardian I'm planning on using a greatsword and mace/shield, but that doesn't mean I'll turn down an icebow, lightning hammer, or a magnetic shield.

Shoot, that shield sounds a little OP atm. Invulnerability (probably short duration), ranged 2 second cripples, a 2 second stun, and an aoe pull. Talk about a good way to annoy your foes. Pull, make yourself invulnerable to them, cripple when they try to get away, and then stun them when they attack you when the invulnerability is down. Then hit them until the shield goes away and use your normal attacks to finish them off.
    Last edited by djacob; 31-03-2012 at 20:40.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    As for conjures, you can see some footage of them on the yogscast.

The Yogscast Picks Up Some Conjures.

You can't really make anyone pick them up, they have to choose to wield the weapons in the first place. I don't know how balanced they are, I don't think yogscast really pays attention to how good something is, they're just happy to pick up the shiny.
    Well that piece was typical. Somebody cast a conjure. So curious guy picked it up, released a few skills without really know what to do or how to use it effectively (Yogcast guys didn't know what to do in that event anyway) and then dropped it:
    The Static Field you can cast with the Lightning Hammer has half the recharge of the skill the Elementalist can cast with the Staff skill. The same for Windblast (although that one lacks the swiftness boon that Updraft has.
    Last edited by Gorani; 31-03-2012 at 20:43.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

*Snickers* I took way to long to edit my last post. They did use up the weapons though, from what I could tell.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by djacob View Post
    Shoot, that shield sounds a little OP atm. Invulnerability (probably short duration), ranged 2 second cripples, a 2 second stun, and an aoe pull. Talk about a good way to annoy your foes. Pull, make yourself invulnerable to them, cripple when they try to get away, and then stun them when they attack you when the invulnerability is down. Then hit them until the shield goes away and use your normal attacks to finish them off.
    Perhaps people will learn to appreciate the Conjures in the future. All four of them have nice powers

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I have finished the Movement thread with all the updates and noticed that the Elementalist has lost a lot of effects that alter movement on the battlefield. Knock downs, sink, push - you name them. The Elementalist was good on the field of movement control, but he took a heavy beating. Some movement effects like "Push" are not that special and game breaking (as I experienced during the beta). Removing those skill effects makes the game play more static again. Not sure why this is/was a desired balance issue.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I am done with reorganizing the Boons [Basics] section and come to the conclusion that the developers have shifted boon effects away from the skills, but attached them to Traits. A few have been linked to the swapping of attunements, which makes the option to specialize in one or two Magic lines less desirable, when you want to play around with the boons as a game mechanic (remember, a boon can not be "stripped" and is a counterweight to conditions).