PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

WvWvW Gank much?

Hey there ! I am worried about WvWvW mechanic. Referring to world of warcraft when you are entering a big battleground such as Islle of Conquest or Alterac valley, it most of the time end up fighting in 10 vs 1. Not that I am complaining because I used to enjoy the game before the panda issue but still 400 pvper mmo sound like a huge ganking/zergling bg. Any1 who had access to beta can confirm I am wrong? I am really anticipating

FYi I am really anticipating GW2 because of the pvp looking awesome.

Well the idea is that teams fight over keeps. I imagine if you run by yourself through an enemy army out in the field, you'll get ganked.

So the smart tactic would be to group up before the assault, promoting teamplay? Sounds great

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Well, if I'm right, even the smallest towers are defended by NPC guards. So you'll have a small chance of survival if you go alone.

Certain players ("Commanders") are marked on the map, and so are battles. So if you just fast-travel there, you're sure to find a group of players to team up with :)

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Daggers View Post
    Well, if I'm right, even the smallest towers are defended by NPC guards. So you'll have a small chance of survival if you go alone.
    This is true. I watched (a very boring) beta WvW video where the guy traveled around alone. He tried to take a mining camp, which don't even have walls, and he was unable to because of the guards. WvW is definitely a team game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    This is true. I watched (a very boring) beta WvW video where the guy traveled around alone. He tried to take a mining camp, which don't even have walls, and he was unable to because of the guards. WvW is definitely a team game.
    Can you post this video? - Would really like to see it!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Lone sharks will have some stuff they can do, like take down single foes of the opposite team, or take out supply transports.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Even if a lone player could take out other wandering players or supplies, it will make more sense if a team you are a part of has sent you there specifically - else you might end up with confused people noodling around, getting to some place, seeing someone is already there, and feeling like they have to run somewhere else to be useful, rather than having a plan of action in mind.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Nah, someone might prefer to play solo and yet have very specific plans on how to help. The point being that you get to be useful even as a solo player (if that's your thing) but if you choose that route you have to be realistic and go for smaller targets.

I plan to stick around PUG groups of medium-to-large size.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    On the other hand, also remember that large zergy groups won't be very useful either, as they will just not be in the right place in the right time.

Even as a solo player, paying attention to what is looking like it is getting captured, and what people are saying (probably something like "someone go cap the *@!*! keep n00bz", heh) so you know you're getting to the right place.

I suppose I am biased against solo cappers from too much AB. Seen many people confusedly wandering around acting as little more than point fodder for the other team... they're usually not very useful, ahem. But yes, this game is better built to accommodate solo-style players - I keep forgetting.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728