PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Of course it wouldn't, and I never said that it would. What I did say, is that virginity is not something to hold in high regard. That doesn't mean I hold people who still maintains theirs in disregard. And no I am not offended, don't worry. I hope you're not offended either, because that is not my intent (and I know I can some times come across a bit harsh regarding these kinds of topics. Probably some what deliberately so).

I'd love to try and understand, if someone provided a solid argument in favor of abstinence. As I pointed out, the video provides silly arguments. I'd love to hear good arguments.

On the flipside, I've met plenty of girls who would swear it was their first time, when it clearly was not. I wonder if there are many guys that fall for that (probably), and I wonder if there are guys for whom that seriously makes a difference (I hope not). I am not one of them for the record.
    Thanks for the clarification. As for a solid argument, well, it's more of a religious argument sooo yeah, it's hard to make a solid argument when the person you're explaining to doesn't follow said religion. Frankly, I think some Christians (as well as some members of other religions) need to remember to stow the judgement when it comes to atheists, as the main reason for monogamy is indeed due to religion.

Though there are still the baby and std debates, but those aren't really a reason for monogamy so much as it is a reason to not be dumb. So that basically leaves romance as the argument, and it doesn't sound like a solid one. It probably depends on the person though.
    Last edited by djacob; 06-04-2012 at 01:53.

It also seems that saving yourself for marriage in no way ensures a healthy marriage, like the video seemed to suggest.

Studies have been done, to see where the divorce rates are the highest. Ironically, none religious folk seem to be the lowest in this study at 21%. Members of nondenominational churches divorce 34 percent of the time in contrast to 25 percent for the general population. Baptists had the highest rate of the major denominations: 29 percent. Born-again Christians' rate was 27 percent. Yikes.

So, I'm assuming most of these groups follow the same idea that you should save yourself for marriage. Does it work? It doesn't seem to work according to statistics. Keep in mind, this is a study from several years ago (I think back from 2000), and I don't hold these kind of studies in high regard. I'm not sure if there have been any recent studies.

Another interesting detail, is that marriage was/is originally a pagan tradition. There has been a time, if I remember correctly, when Christians were literally forbidden to marry by the church, because it was not Christian to do so. Apparently God slowly changed his mind on marriage.... or something?
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 06-04-2012 at 06:34.