PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    First reads should be: How and when to attune and the second page of the Skills & Combo thread. Pretty much every [Basics] or [Guide] thread here too can give you additional information.

At early levels, I think it is a good choice to start out with at least 5 points in Earth, as it both reduces the hit damage you get and boosts your condition damage, which is a major part of Fire/Earth attacks.
    I filled Earth, Water, Air & Fire each with 5 points to get the minor adept traits and then went up to 10 in Arcana for longer boons and faster swapping of attunements. To get a 5/5/5/5/10 trait setup, you have to reach level 40, so I think you will need a few days to progress to that point.

My first Utility slot was Glyph of Storms, which is really great to mass-blind an area (under Earth attunement) or slow things down (under Water attunement). For my second slot I went with Arcane Wave, but Armor of Earth, Arcane Blast or Signet of Fire will do well too.

You know how to reach me, when you have more questions.
    I did read that second page, but it didn't clarify anything for me... I had missed that first thread you mentioned. That does help a lot! I think I'll go for a 5/5/10 setup first and leave those other elements for when I have the levels (and the money!) to buy a second trait book.

(and considering Earthshaker is not my main, it might take a bit longer than a couple of day!)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Wooden Potatoe's spike build using S/D and Arcane Power/Churning Earth/Water traits
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forum...er-build-(S-D)

Thread has a video that explains the build in detail.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I am asking for your input here:

1) Scepter & Focus
    I just can't get used to those two weapons, especially in the S/F combo. Anything but Fire Magic seems to have a bad damage output, the delay of many skills (Dragon's Tooth etc.) is just nerve wrecking once you got used to D/D.
    Do you have a successful & fun S/F build? Please share it.

2) Water, Arcana & Cantrips
    Every time I take a look at the official forums, people talk about their Evasive Arcana builds & the traits synergies with Cantrip + a lot of investment in Water Magic.
    Again, do you spec differently? Please share some things here.

Gorani
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

0/20/30/10/10
    sceptor/dagger

Air - bolt to the heart, air training
    Earth - Signet Mastery, Earths Embrace, Written in Stone
    Water - Cleansing Wave
    Arcane - Elemental Attunement

Signet of Restoration
    Signet of Fire, Arcane wave, Cleansing Fire
    Fiery Greatsword

weapons:
    Beserker with:
    Sigil of superior Leeching
    Sigil of Superior force

Armor - Knight with vamperism
    Accessories - Soldier with ruby
    Last edited by Kshnik; 05-04-2013 at 14:31.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Woodenpotato's Shared Auras set-up for D/D.

Depending on how drastic the "boon hate" changes will be with the next update, this build allows you to grant auras to your whole 5 man team + keeps up protection & swiftness pretty much all the time, which makes the support a lot better than trying to heal allies.

Downside: Total damage & critical damage will be fairly low. Team members no appreciating the strong support will dislike you for not being able to kill stuff efficiently. Also there are no points in Arcane, so fast swapping of attunements is limited.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    So, what would be a good build for sharing buffs in WvW, for either staff or scepter/focus or scepter/dagger? (I don't like dagger main hand especially in WvW)

My elementalist is about level 35, but with only my thief left to level, those two characters will see more playtime in the coming months.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    So, what would be a good build for sharing buffs in WvW, for either staff or scepter/focus or scepter/dagger? (I don't like dagger main hand especially in WvW).
    Have you watched WoodenPotatoe's video directly above you?
    The problem with "shared buffs" is the limit to 5 people. Unlike Necro wells, that still can effect more than 5, the Ele is limited to that number wit its AoE/Aura ability.

Since most buffs from combos are shared within a limited range, your team mates have to stand close. That will work in a friends/guild team, but hardly in a PUG. The might stacking options (Firewall, Dragon's Tooth, Phoenix e.g.) are good for the team, if they stay close to you.

In a offensive siege situation, Dragon's Tooth cab still hit people & siege engines on the Walls, as it doe snot require a line of sight. Also Swirling Winds can destroy ranged projectiles from longbows or ACs.

PS: I prefer D/D in WvW when I roam alone or with a small team. When I encounter a larger group of allies, I switch to staff. Your tactical choices are better with a better range and you are able to tag more opponents if it turns out to be a zerg war.

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    PS: I prefer D/D in WvW when I roam alone or with a small team. When I encounter a larger group of allies, I switch to staff. Your tactical choices are better with a better range and you are able to tag more opponents if it turns out to be a zerg war.
    What I do in WvW is mostly like what you do. Staff for commanded zergs. They always seem to need water and lightning fields. D/D/S/F for smaller groups for better self defense and survivability. I switch around (when I can, obviously) as I go to suit the needs: mainly damage, mobility, conditions (blind/burn/vuln), and anti-projectile respectively.

I'd probably go D/D only if I were to solo roam, except I don't solo roam. The extra "Eek" moment when I run into an enemy costs dearly on an elementalist.

Edit: If you are unsure of what you're capable in WvW, try what you usually use with a smaller group. Then you'll start to see what you need, what you don't need, and what kind of environment you want to place yourself in. Following zerg and putting down combo fields (and raining fire) is my thing, but it's probably not the thing for lots of people.
    Last edited by satomz; 07-06-2013 at 22:52.
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, (1) the video is about D/D and he says himself staff might be better for WvW, and (2) I wasn't sure if aura-sharing was still viable. The video is still pretty useful especially for traits, ty.

I avoid running alone because when I do, I get killed... And if I run alone, I use a different profession anyway.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Notice, that the June 25th 2013 patch brought some changes to traits and a few skills (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forum...=1#post5845740), so keep that in mind if you take a look at builds created before this date.

Gorani