PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Even if e-books are much cheaper, which I doubt they are (just look at digital distribution for games, same price online as offline), the cost of the tablet would nowadays be ridiculous indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    i guess (but are not sure) that in this time and age every student has at least a computer at home, every time a student has homework the teacher sends a file to every computer of the students and every student has a really simple but secure program on there computer to do there homework.
    For a lot of people, computers are still a luxury that the rest of us take for granted. Also, assigned textbooks can be brought home, never break down, never need to be re-formatted, and never suddenly have no access to the internet.

I think it will still be quite a long while before schools can completely rely on computer technology.
    mv

From a technical point of view it wouldn't be hard at all to make a Tablet which can:

-Be used to take notes
    -Hold all necessary school books
    -Be used to make homework
    -Connect to a school network to send homework to a teacher

The price of touchscreens and book licensing are the limiting factors. I think if a publisher of educational books would develop such a tablet, that would be pretty good for their market position.

Problem with interactive desks is they're more expensive than tablets, easier targets for vandalism, and can't be taken home, so making homework either has to be done on paper or will be more complicated for users (working with USB sticks etc. even if it's extremely simple to use people will have problems due to badly configured home PC's or just general stupidity).

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    For a lot of people, computers are still a luxury that the rest of us take for granted. Also, assigned textbooks can be brought home, never break down, never need to be re-formatted, and never suddenly have no access to the internet.

I think it will still be quite a long while before schools can completely rely on computer technology.
    a computer runs even when there is a bit of water close by, paper is ruined completely with just some drops of water.
    also, if you need to re-format your pc and it breaks down all the time then it's just your own damn fault, you could just as much loose your text book......don't see that happen with a PC.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Losing a text book or a tablet is a whole different thing though. Especially when it comes to the price.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i never said tablet -_-
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Lots of people do stupid things with PC's, for education you want a pretty much closed and idiot-proof system where it's impossible for users to break anything. I wouldn't even trust users with something as simple as using an USB stick to transfer a couple of files.

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    i never said tablet -_-
    Everything you said could easily be applied to tablets, and since a tablet is a computer, you talked about tablets.

I'm so terribly sorry for thinking ahead of you there!

+ Everything what Ringsgold said.

a computer runs even when there is a bit of water close by, paper is ruined completely with just some drops of water.
    also, if you need to re-format your pc and it breaks down all the time then it's just your own damn fault, you could just as much loose your text book......don't see that happen with a PC.
    You take all this stuff for granted. You might be surprised at how bad the average person is at basic computer maintenance and understanding. Same goes particularly with tablets; a lot of parents wouldn't know the first thing about using one.

Your water example is silly. The amount of water needed to destroy a textbook would destroy a computer too. I can't think of one time, with my own four brothers or my own four kids, when a single textbook was eradicated by anything, let alone water. Also, tablets are quite a bit more steal-worthy than school textbooks. Imagine losing your tablet or having it stolen, with everything having to do with school inside it.

Nope. Just won't work, not yet, until it's made way more foolproof. I'm not saying it shouldn't be explored, I just don't see it becoming a global standard for education for quite some years yet.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    The original topic was about iPads. Not tablets, not PCs, not laptops, iPads. You know, the things that are re-released every year with some feature that easily could have been in from the start.

I've never destroyed any books with water, and I've spilled plenty of water on plenty of books. Also, MV is right in that most people are really bad at keeping their computer safe. Even some of my really smart friends who are at least a little computer literate have still managed to fry their computers with spyware or a virus or something. It only takes one bad download to do some major damage. I've done it to my own computers; I'm just savvy enough to fix them.