PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    Unfortunately these illegal sites are going to probably undercut Anet and offer gold cheaper than Anet offers the same value of gold in gems. So the practice will continue, and people will STILL buy gold illegally.
    The exchange will be between players, so there won't be any set exchange rate by arenanet but it will be set by a player economy. So in theory, the price should stabilize on some point where it's reasonable for both sides and if they choose to sell it cheaper, they make very little.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poplik View Post
    The exchange will be between players, so there won't be any set exchange rate by arenanet but it will be set by a player economy. So in theory, the price should stabilize on some point where it's reasonable for both sides and if they choose to sell it cheaper, they make very little.
    I'm aware of that, but there will be a set cash price for gems. And unfortunately, I don't see Anet ever adjusting their price to match the in game value of gems to gold. However, gold selling websites, in order to make money, will probably be more than likely willing to adjust their prices accordingly, undercutting Anet.

Put it this way, if gold selling websites weren't illegal, would you be more likely to spend $5 (or whatever currency you have) on 10,000 gold, or would you rather spend $5 on say 50 gems, that may only get you a total of 5000 gold (due to current gold <-> gem exchange rate)? Obviously, this is just an example as I have no clue how much Anet will be selling gems for. But the gold selling sites will want to give you more for your $5 than Anet will give you for that same $5.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    I'm aware of that, but there will be a set cash price for gems. And unfortunately, I don't see Anet ever adjusting their price to match the in game value of gems to gold. However, gold selling websites, in order to make money, will probably be more than likely willing to adjust their prices accordingly, undercutting Anet.

Put it this way, if gold selling websites weren't illegal, would you be more likely to spend $5 (or whatever currency you have) on 10,000 gold, or would you rather spend $5 on say 50 gems, that may only get you a total of 5000 gold (due to current gold <-> gem exchange rate)? Obviously, this is just an example as I have no clue how much Anet will be selling gems for. But the gold selling sites will want to give you more for your $5 than Anet will give you for that same $5.
    I think players will decide what they think $5 of in game stuff is worth and gems will settle at that exchange rate.

But you're right that gold sellers will try to undercut that price point what ever it is. At that point players will just have to decide if the difference is worth losing their accounts over.

I guess one might say this will be an interesting experiment in whether legalizing contraband results in a significant reduction in illegal sales of same. It's unlikely to reduce it to zero, but if we get GW2 gold sellers down to say 100/1million players from 1,000/1million players in GW1 (I totally made those numbers up in case that wasn't clear), that would certainly be significant.

I have no doubt that Anet will continue to try to be vigilant about gold sellers though as they have a real world negative effect on their bottom line. Gold sellers need a regular source of new accounts to sell in game gold or farm in game gold as Anet finds and bans their previous accounts. They don't legitimately buy these accounts, they hack other people's accounts or they use stolen credit card info to buy accounts (which results in charge backs for Anet once discovered). The hacking and credit card fraud seem to be the real issue more than the (I assume usually) minor affect they have on the in game economy (assuming the developers took reasonable steps to moderate said effect on the economy).
    Last edited by BladeDVD; 15-04-2012 at 23:16.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Guild

Cold Steel Brigade
    Well I know that given a choice between supporting a chinese gold farmer or ANet the choice is obvious to me, even if I get a little less gold for it.

As a person who has bought gold from them before(for a game I no longer play WoW), I know that supporting ANet is more important than a few gold pieces.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Many good reasons not to buy gold from RMT's:

1) Fear of getting banned, and
    Not wanting to support organizations that
    2) increase lag in your game
    3) may steal accounts etc
    4) may take advantage of unregulated cheap labor

Further reasons not to buy gold online even if legal
    1) It encourages devs to put in more grind in games
    2) It shifts the balance in favor of paying players
    3) It can easily lead to over-spending on virtual stuff
    4) It's an indication that you may be playing for rewards instead of fun, thus time to quit

I'm glad the option is there, but I am very unlikely to use it. I am more likely to buy gems for gold.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I say ArenaNet should make a mini of the first banned player's character in use at the time of the ban. Wouldn't everyone want their own mini Dena Deathbringer?

I might as well have a ban because if there is some Alaris NPC in GW2, I'll quit.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'll stand around telling people to help me on a quest until you quit then ;)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about