PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Maybe you don't have to, you can save a lot of money by simply keeping your HDD, case and other peripheral stuff while upgrading only graphics, RAM and CPU. They're not very hard to install at all unless you replace the mainboard.

EDIT:
    Oh, it has to be a laptop, that makes upgrading practically impossible -.- Go for a core i5 with a GT540M (or AMD equivalent), afaik that's the most cost-effective combo at the moment (atleast it was fall last year).
    Last edited by Ringsgold; 15-04-2012 at 17:22.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I'd check and see if the HP's pre-build allows for a better graphics card than the one it came with--newer ones should have some leeway.

off-topic

I always bought pre-built in the past, but after making my current computer, I'm not going back. Though I did have to take it apart because it wouldn't boot up, finding the problem to be a USB drive metal prong was touching itself and grounding the computer--problem fixed --but I do love custom computers, especially since I can swap parts out when needed (for a good few years yet).

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by Erring Ryft View Post
    Still debating on whether I need to update my GPU; it's a 5750, so I doubt it'll be a problem, but there's so many prettier ones...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've got that one too. Gets the job done, but can't quite max modern (PC) games with any playable framerates.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    Maybe you don't have to, you can save a lot of money by simply keeping your HDD, case and other peripheral stuff while upgrading only graphics, RAM and CPU. They're not very hard to install at all unless you replace the mainboard.

EDIT:
    Oh, it has to be a laptop, that makes upgrading practically impossible -.- Go for a core i5 with a GT540M (or AMD equivalent), afaik that's the most cost-effective combo at the moment (atleast it was fall last year).
    Yeah, that was about what I was aiming for. It still seems to be the best choice. I'd get myself a desktop, but that would mean getting a new battery for this laptop, which needs maintenance in many ways anyway, so that could make me have to buy 2 computers in a very short timespan (desktop + laptop), which I don't like. So laptop it is.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    it all depends on what you want, stability or speed.
    nvidia is all about stability but has a lower FPS rate, ATI cards are really fast but are known to burn out fast on high stress.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    That looks like insanely more than anyone's going to need to play it at max, but 'tis quite beautiful.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    you know the games going mainstream when people start modding cases about it.

I got a new laptop for my wife for Gw2, my desktop is no problem for the game but she wanted to be mobile to sit on the couch :)
    Lenovo had some big discounts on the ideapad Y470p which is an i7 2670 cpu, 8gb ram, and a radeon 7690 graphics card. it's pretty high performace all together with nice copper cooling even, and JBL speakers. It was by far the best bang for the buck on the market, the sale was $799 which is $700 off their retail suggested... and the deal looks like it is still on if anyone is looking for a laptop that can game.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Cool, thanks for the heads-up, Egg Shennn! I found some pretty good deals but this one beats them all