PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Does Cmdr Data ever need to do a hardware upgrade?

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Both of these can play GW2 afaik. The real question is, which is the better investment longterm? GW2 won't be the only game I will play on it, nor will gaming be the only thing I do with it - it will be lovely to have non laggy photoshop! Just really pondering the longevity of the machine overall...

So, my aims for the machine are:
    gaming - should be able to play graphic intense games for a good long while to come
    arty farty - photoshop and other graphics programs - need to run super smooth
    easy to upgrade should I need to do so
    I forgot what else I was going to say... hmm.

so I present...(only showing what I think is really relevant, everything else should be fairly standard, I would guess)

Spoiler
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Keep in mind that expansions might increase the requirements, much as additional GW1 campaigns increased the reqs, so going for bare minimum is likely to need an upgrade as well at some point.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Since it's such a huge performance jump I'd go for the 680, idk if you'd notice the difference in memory speed, so if it's a big price difference there's no need for it. Also 16GB is overkill, maybe go for 8GB of the faster mem? I can't really think of anything that needs over 8GB ram, and if you try to run more your bottleneck is probably gonna be your harddrive IOPS anyway.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Regarding HD IOPS, is then worth it to invest into a better performance hd than say, the cheapy cheap standard the average desktop user would have? I have the cheapest option selected atm, which is just: SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16mb cache. The other options have higher cache capability. That worth investing in?

These are the other options available for the second build

Last edited by kokabel; 17-04-2012 at 20:41.
    kokabel.5728

For a build like that I'd definitely get an SSD, or a HDD with caching (normal HDD which writes frequently used files to a small SSD). But if that list are your only options, just get enough storage for the lowest price, and get an SSD seperately (crucial M4 is my favourite, but the next generation is starting to be released now so might be better to wait a little)

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I have the option of not getting one at all from there, and just buying separate and installing it myself.

Thanks for the input! I know nothing about that part of the system. (Well, now I know a little :D)
    kokabel.5728

It's not gaming needs, but at least according to the IT guy at work, RAM is a big hang up for my computer. 8GB is horribly inadequate for work on occasion, even to the point of me not being able to open a file at all.

But it's been 10 of 15 years since I could speak with authority on computing hardware, so who knows. All I know is that when my piece of crap 8 gig computer fails, I have to move over to one of the 16 temporarily.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I have 8 gigs here and I'd like 16 or so but, the old mobo can't handle any more. 8 isn't that bad right now for what I'm working on atm so it's not like it's really a problem. I know it would be if I started working on something complicated.

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I thought the only thing people used more than 8 for was plotting the graph of x/0. The more you know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314