PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    8gb is more than enough for most people, even running a bloated os like Vista (win 7 is primarily Vista but a little more optimized). The only real reason you would need more is for serious photo manipulation (photoshop), and/or video editing. When I say serious photo manipulation I'm talking about working with large files (8, 10, or higher megapixel files in raw format). In general more ram is always better, but don't let some department store clerk talk you into something you don't need.

Vista is no longer Vista. It's actually come a long way since launch and isn't as bloated and far behind 7 as most people think.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    8gb is more than enough for most people, even running a bloated os like Vista (win 7 is primarily Vista but a little more optimized). The only real reason you would need more is for serious photo manipulation (photoshop), and/or video editing. When I say serious photo manipulation I'm talking about working with large files (8, 10, or higher megapixel files in raw format). In general more ram is always better, but don't let some department store clerk talk you into something you don't need.
    The CS5 AI is quite the memory hog as well. When I'm working on really big vector files I often need to use CS4 just to be able to open it. But the kinds of files I work with are definitely not average. I have a lot of PSDs (well, PSBs in this case) that are 3GB or more. They are often rasterized vector files.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Or when you're prone to running multiple virtual machines (that's me! and that's why my laptop has 16Gb )

Still need to think about how I'll upgrade my home PC...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Personally I'll be stepping up from my GTX 560 Ti in order to max the settings, but I don't want to do so before I've seen what the GK110 delivers.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Lol about CS4. I don't want to touch CS4 again. I use AE pretty much everyday and I can't stand that version. I'd rather use CS3 instead. It's much more stable. There's a couple workflow things that are nice in CS4, mocha was a nice addition but, it was flaky as hell for me. CS5 is killing it stability wise for me. Having it 64bit helps a boat load to.

If you have fast drives, you don't really need it for video editing (depending on the codec, that avchd stuff is puke to edit with). Unless you need to ram preview things, a fast drive or stripped drives can play video really well.

/fondly remembers scsi raid arrays.

I chew on ram because of the AE and 3D work that I do. Games like getting the breathing room as a side effect, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Regarding HD IOPS, is then worth it to invest into a better performance hd than say, the cheapy cheap standard the average desktop user would have? I have the cheapest option selected atm, which is just: SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16mb cache. The other options have higher cache capability. That worth investing in?

These are the other options available for the second build

Depending on the dollars you want to spend, I'll list options which will give best performance

1. SSD drive (min 64gb, 120gb or bigger would be better) + a storage drive 7200rpm whatever size 500gb+
    2. Next would be a hybrid drive, seagate ssd/7200rpm hybrid, 500Gb or 750gb, not as fast as running an SSD but can give big boost over standard 7200rpm drives, benefits are most noticeable if working with graphic programs or games (and it takes using a program/game 3 times before the drive learns it's a program to give fast resources to)
    3. the lowest option woul just be a good 7200rpm drive of whatever size

My own system, I run an SSD + 7200rpm drive. Wife gaming laptop I took out the standard hd (the only weak link on that laptop) and installed a seagate hybrid, it got a big boost in performance with that new drive.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    At the moment I'm looking at getting a SSD and just using the HDD from my current machine - I need to recheck but it should be fine, if not, they're not expensive. Just waiting on hearing back from the company I'm planning to buy most of my stuff from, hoping for a bit of a discount considering how much I am planning to buy off them (hoping they give me a discount towards a shiny new monitor... hey, if you don't ask...).

I was checking the Seagate hybrids too... either option would be great for me, I think.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

A dead one (SF)
    @ The Harbinger: A GTX 560ti should be more than enough to max the game.

I hope so, but doubt it. I want the game to run smoothly at 2560x1440, even in intense scenarios. I'd imagine huge WvW battles are capable of making almost any machine cry though, but that's possibly stepping into CPU territory. The upcoming beta should give us some idea I hope.